Mac OS X 10.4.10

parenparen 537 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Mac users, I advise against updating to OS X 10.4.10 if you haven't done so already. Wireless connectivity on my 2.33 C2D Macbook Pro has been sporadic (at best) since the update. macfixit.com and the apple support forums illustrate that this issue is fairly widespread, as are audio input failures and "audio popping" - neither of which I am experiencing. All was well with 10.4.9 but after two aiport networking related kernel panics and no support from Apple on the issue, it looks like I have no choice to perform an Archive and Install to roll back to 10.4.9.I miss the days when Apple, Inc. was Apple Computer and supported their products as such. My phone need only be a phone...

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Hi C***t!!

Sorry I cant answer your question. But whatsup?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    that's why you should always wait a few weeks before installing any os update. Let others be the guinea pigs.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I'm getting slight audio pops since upgrading. I'll hold out till the next update since I record all my music into a G4 running Panther. No pops there. I wish my upgrade from the Digi001 to the Digi003 would arrive so I can update that shit but at least I don't have to worry about this shit.

Good luck.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

All was well with 10.4.9 but after two aiport networking related kernel panics and no support from Apple on the issue, it looks like I have no choice to perform an Archive and Install to roll back to 10.4.9.

I've been having the same problems (well, not with audio but with Airport) with a MacBook Pro C2D. If it recognizes my router at all (2Wire) it will only load sites normally for a couple of minutes then it slows down to a crawl. If I reboot my computer, it's back to normal for a few minutes. I've tried turning off Airport but it will often not recognize my router after turning it back on.

Planning to do the old Archive and Install this evening. This update completely sucks.

for Apple.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    Hi C***t!!

Sorry I cant answer your question. But whatsup?

salutations. same ol'. world travellin'. rekkids. sleeplessess. ghost stories. snapshots. archivin' n' installin'. ya know, same ol'. hope you's is well.

• parenparen 537 Posts

All was well with 10.4.9 but after two aiport networking related kernel panics and no support from Apple on the issue, it looks like I have no choice to perform an Archive and Install to roll back to 10.4.9.

I've been having the same problems (well, not with audio but with Airport) with a MacBook Pro C2D. If it recognizes my router at all (2Wire) it will only load sites normally for a couple of minutes then it slows down to a crawl. If I reboot my computer, it's back to normal for a few minutes. I've tried turning off Airport but it will often not recognize my router after turning it back on.

Planning to do the old Archive and Install this evening. This update completely sucks.

I've had some success after changing my router's broadcast channel. By some success, I mean that my time before my wireless download speeds grind to a halt has been extended to 20 minutes plus.

Just for the sake of sharing, here's the contents of one of my two related kernel panics:

=======
    panic(cpu 0 caller 0x0035D113): mbuf address out of range 0x19f0e12f
    Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
    0x254c3a98 : 0x128d08 (0x3cc0a4 0x254c3abc 0x131de5 0x0)
    0x254c3ad8 : 0x35d113 (0x3ecf78 0x19f0e12f 0x23bb2004 0x1)
    0x254c3af8 : 0x35d4b3 (0x37119900 0x3705cd00 0x254c3b18 0x239824c0)
    0x254c3b18 : 0xa24aba (0x37119900 0x37119900 0x23bb2004 0x80)
    0x254c3bf8 : 0xa44678 (0x23bb2004 0x37119900 0x3a 0xf9caf41f)
    0x254c3dd8 : 0xa46059 (0x239822c8 0x0 0x13892000 0x0)
    0x254c3f08 : 0x39b3c3 (0x23982000 0x3f43480 0x1 0x3ab1cec)
    0x254c3f58 : 0x39a595 (0x3f43480 0x135eb4 0x0 0x3ab1cec)
    0x254c3f88 : 0x39a2cb (0x3ac6d00 0x0 0x450 0x1203)
    0x254c3fc8 : 0x19ad2c (0x3ac6d00 0x0 0x10 0x4081ea0) Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0x0
    Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
    com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros(230.8.5)@0xa12000
    dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.5.1)@0x847000
    dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.2)@0x587000
    dependency: com.apple.iokit.IO80211Family(160.2)@0x85d000

Kernel version:
    Darwin Kernel Version 8.10.1: Wed May 23 16:33:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.22.5~1/RELEASE_I386
    =======

I won't be using Pacifist to overwrite the ailing components, but let me know if you go that route (for more information see macfixit.com).

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I have 3 computers in my room, which I acquired over a few years. Each one serves its purpose.

I have a g4 for running pro tools only. I'm still on OS 9.

I have a macbook for Microwave.

I have a mac mini for email and everything else. I let this guy take the brunt of the abuse and the other two are nice and clean and I only use them for their purpose. I've never connected my G4 to the internet. not once. I've only connected the laptop a few times, but I'm really picky about it. I just try to keep things clean to avoid any real headaches when it comes to my music set ups.

I downloaded some updates on my macmini last night, but haven't noticed anything. I think I downloaded that OS update, but so far haven't noticed anything. I'm not using wireless though, so no airport issues.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    Hey T*mmy. I'm not implying that everything is faulty with 10.4.10, but it has certainly introduced some issues on my end. I have 4 Macs in my household and I'm not applying the versioning any of my other machines past 10.4.9.

Just as a general rule I would recommend going the route that many suggest and downloading the combo-update directly from Apple via your browser instead of using Software Update to do so.

I am a strict practitioner of the repair permissions, download combo update, safe mode, install, restart, repair permissions, restart; methodology but it didn't really serve me particularly well on this round.

For what it's worth, I recommend avoiding 10.4.10 for now.

Hey T*mmy. I'm not implying that everything is faulty with 10.4.10, but it has certainly introduced some issues on my end. I have 4 Macs in my household and I'm not applying the versioning any of my other machines past 10.4.9.

Just as a general rule I would recommend going the route that many suggest and downloading the combo-update directly from Apple via your browser instead of using Software Update to do so.

I am a strict practitioner of the repair permissions, download combo update, safe mode, install, restart, repair permissions, restart; methodology but it didn't really serve me particularly well on this round.

For what it's worth, I recommend avoiding 10.4.10 for now.

I also tried the "download and install the Combo, repair permissions" route and it didn't help much for me either.

Yeah ... just avoid the update for the time being.

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    Yo, Paren PM me your phone #, I need some design assistance...

J-Dubb

• im still on 10.2.8 and im buying a new comp in october. anyway I can get a current or semi current osx without dropping 150$$ just to be outdated in 4 months????

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I never update shit on any computer ever.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    I already fucking did it...! shit...wish I had seen this 2 days ago...is there anyway I can undo it? or go back..haha...

i do notice the poppings....kinda sucks :/

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Im running 10.4.10 on my macbook pro, i havn't had any problems yet. People are talkin about audio pops when is this happening?? recording audio in? im kinda scared now...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    No problems on ye olde PPC powerbook and G5 over here yet. I haven't used any audio software beyond itunes, quicktime et al since I updated a couple of days ago, so I hope all is well on that account too.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    F*cking pops!

I thought Apple was infallible, no?!?

I've been lied to by members of this very forum!

SOMEONE MUST DIE[/b] FOR THIS!!!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i think the new Microwave update said not to update to the new version of osx cos of some problems too

I did an archive and install back to 10.4.8. It's a relatively painless process. I didn't have to do anything with software ... all of the applications were sitting where they were supposed to (you lose your preferences which you can dig around for if you really need them). It just throws all of your old stuff into a folder so you just have to pull out your various libraries (music, videos, photos, etc) and throw them in the right places. (I do recommend backing up your system before doing something like this).

10.4.8 was the last version that worked perfectly for me so I'm glad to have it back. 10.4.9 messed with my Airport connection a bit. 10.4.10 finished the job. I'll take a look at 10.5 (maybe 6 months after its release) but, until then, no more updates.

I did an archive and install back to 10.4.8. It's a relatively painless process. I didn't have to do anything with software ... all of the applications were sitting where they were supposed to (you lose your preferences which you can dig around for if you really need them). It just throws all of your old stuff into a folder so you just have to pull out your various libraries (music, videos, photos, etc) and throw them in the right places. (I do recommend backing up your system before doing something like this).

10.4.8 was the last version that worked perfectly for me so I'm glad to have it back. 10.4.9 messed with my Airport connection a bit. 10.4.10 finished the job. I'll take a look at 10.5 (maybe 6 months after its release) but, until then, no more updates.

Here's a link to an article explaining, very simply, how to do an archive and install if anyone is interested.

Remember NOT to choose "keep preferences ..." (you'll have to de-select it) as some of the problems may be coming from some obscure "preference".

Also, this article suggests that you may have to re-install software. Like I said above, I didn't have to do anything with software. It was all in the Applications folder of the new system. You'll have to rebuild your dock (and migrate your browser's bookmarks) but that's it.

• HL_MackenHL_Macken 18 Posts
    Real dudes dont fuck with macs, they fuck with stacks(money). I dont know why peeps bother updating OS's when it isnt absolutely neccesary. The trade off between improved functionality and inevitable problems resulting from the update never seem worth it.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I tried to run my copy of live lite and was greeted by horrible pops and clicks. Luckily the new update 10.4.11 fixed the problem. I've learnt my lesson though. No more updates until i checked around first.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    the popping issue has apparently been resolved for most via update 10.4.10 v. 1.1 or alternatively using Audio Update 2007-001 if you installed the first version of the 10.4.10 update.

in my case (poor airport connectivity on a C2D Macbook Pro), I've reverted to 10.4.9 via an archive & install and all is well. i won't be upgrading again any time soon.

as for dildo - microwave - whatever filters are callin' it theses days, i noticed that the hardware interface did not appropriately communicate to the app when the usb was disconnected, but other than that i had no s.erato issues with 10.4.10.