~~~"Hipster" DJ Ethics Conversation~~~

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
What are peoples thoughts on this Camel Cigarette Print Ad Campaign?

Comments

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Vomit on a page?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    If you're serious about the "ethical" questions involved here, I would say that as far as cigarette advertising is concerned, this is fairly ethical. The target audience seems to me to be people who are over 21, like to party, and are already fairly likely to smoke already. It seems to me to be more of a brand equity campaign whose ultimate goal is probably to convince people who already smoke to holler at some Camels.

Needless to say, this is not a party I would attend.

-e

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    suprised roxy's name is on that shit before the other two

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Doesn??t look hip at all to me.

- J

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    world renowned DJs?

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Who?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    world renowned DJs?

And this whole time, I thought people were throwing around the name "DJ Mompants" as a joke. I guess it still is one, but...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    ~~~[/b]Stopping smoking was the hardest thing I've ever done. I remember smoking on my way home from visiting my grandfather who was dying of lung cancer and passing the cemetery where my grandmother is buried--who died from emphysema--and not giving a fuck about having the same fate.~~~[/b]

EDIT: Oh shit, I forgot to put ~[/b]'s around my post.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    How can we too become glammed up?

I have a strong feeling it only requires buying a few certain things and then turning our backs on anyone who doesn't also own those same select items.

Also, Roxy's hands look more like those of Betty Crocker than those of Q-Bert.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Accepting your role as a tool of credibility for the Tobacco industry seems like a "100% selling your soul" type of moment.

I'm just curious if people are in the thought school of "get that money" or "you're selling your soul".

Do these "World Renowned DJ's" even smoke ciggs? I would say if they don't it makes this even worse than it already is.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I guess Vegas makes sense for this kind of promotion as its probably one of the last places in the US you can still smoke (cigarettes) inside the club, inside the hotel, and probably inside the elevator on the way up to your glam suite.

people who like this kind of stuff should move to richmond. phillip morris will hire young people for marketing jobs starting at 70K all day.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Accepting your role as a tool of credibility for the Tobacco industry seems like a "100% selling your soul" type of moment.

I'm just curious if people are in the thought school of "get that money" or "you're selling your soul".

Hate to sound like an old man, but it doesn't seem like the Dare generation ever learned what it means to sell or not sell out. And now we're witnessing them sell out in droves...if signing that damned Dare pact back when they were in 8th grade wasn't enough.

i'm in the school of getting money and keeping my soul.

while my previous post alludes to what you said, i think you you're setting up a false dichotomy.

people who like this kind of stuff should move to richmond. phillip morris will hire young people for marketing jobs starting at 70K all day.

Damn. That's the sort of thing that tests my commitment to the non-profit world. $70G goes a long way, especially, I imagine, in a place like Virginia.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Is that Will Self at top right? He's the coolest smoker they could find? Or are they all paid Camel models?

I turned down work with Hennessy and I'm not rich. These fuckers can show a bit of backbone. But I doubt they have much else going for them besides being able to stay up late.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I was gonna say, you don't have to do shit like this if you have a rep based on talent. If you have a rep based on advertising, I suppose there's not an ad you'll turn down.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    forget the cigarretes, is it ethical for these 3 to headline, let alone receive the moniker "world renowned djs"?

aren't these people embarrased to consistently headline events where the warm-up dj is much, much better? i dont doubt that these djs cant rock a party with their crowds, and ive seen clips of how much "energy" aoki has. regardless, its still a case of the emperors new clothes when you are talking about headlining an event in vegas...or anywhere for that matter. there are soo many dope djs out there. what a waste.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    aren't these people embarrased to consistently headline events where the warm-up dj is much, much better?

i'm really looking forward to reading this thread again.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    also is that caroline rhea? what a fucking sellout.

• also is that caroline rhea? what a fucking sellout.

Is that Will Self at top right?

i dunno, he looks a bit younger / more like a male model then ol' Will Self. I can't really imagine him being into celebrity parties in Vegas anyway. (well not anymore)

• Doesn??t look hip at all to me.

- J

I like the pictures of people just holding up packs of cigarettes. I can imagine the conversation:

"Hi, do you smoke?"

"No"

"then just hold up this pack of cigarettes and make your best pouty face"

$70G goes a long way, especially, I imagine, in a place like Virginia.

Maybe in Richmond, but not in NOVA.

Also, if you are into advertising/marketing and keeping some of your soul, the Martin Agency just got a whopping Walmart deal.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    world renowned DJs?

That's a very broad and generous definition of the term "world-renowned". If, for example, Danny Masterson is world renowned for anything, I wouldn't expect it to be DJing. I'm not one to ride for the Tiestos, Paul Oakenfolds and Ferry Corstens of this world, but those fools are what I'd call world-renowned, by which I mean "can fill a football stadium in about twenty five different countries".

indeed. the definition of world for them is strictly limited to LA and Vegas.

• lord234lord234 236 Posts
    indeed. the definition of world for them is strictly limited to LA and Vegas.

and New York

if you are into advertising/marketing and keeping some of your soul, the Martin Agency just got a whopping Walmart deal.

No, I'd like to keep the whole thing. It's just the money that occasionally gives me cause to reflect on my work. But in the end, I sleep well at night, nahmean?

• Am i crazy or is that james gandolfini aka tony soprano in the bottom left corner?!? I know he rocks that caveman look when he's not shooting anything.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Am i crazy or is that james gandolfini aka tony soprano in the bottom left corner?!? I know he rocks that caveman look when he's not shooting anything.

mompants dude, try and keep up....