Kenyan mix (this one's for Wu)

PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
and wu and wu and wu 41 mins LISTEN HERE NOT FUNKY! (saving some of that for my forthcoming Tropical Disco mix. taste that)mostly 70s/80s Kenyan 45s (Kiswahili) with a bit of other stuffTrio Majesi - Carte Blanche pt 2Lulus Band - Kahii Ka MuriithiJoseph Kamaru & his Band - Ndari Ya WabichiKamaru Sisters - Njanji Wa MapenziThe City Sound's Band - NindaregaOrch Lipua Lipua - Nala Pt 1Afro National - SonjoJoseph Kamaru & his Band - D. K. NjoheraOrch Super Volcano - Shida Pt 1Issa Juma & Waanyika - Ateka Pt 1

Comments

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    in a non homo way, i admire your big spliffs

no homo

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Well you know what they say... big spliff, little sack. Of course I'm talking about skinning up, I mean rolling, I mean, smoking one

DAMN I GAVE UP ALREADY!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    im not Wu but many thanks 4 good things.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Thanks brotha.

That Trio Majesi is off the hook. One of my favorite jams over the last few months. Looking forward to hearing the rest of it.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    jesus it's about time you got something from a flea market in the 5 boroughs. good looks on those 45s. the one on brunswick i likee.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    enjoying this. Thanks

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    before you brand the mix...

just wanted to mention that a number of the bands included on it are actually from the Congo (zaire) and not from kenya.

of course this has no bearing on the quality of the music or the mind that put it together...
    just figured you should know.

peace.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

no homo

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

just wanted to mention that a number of the bands included on it are actually from the Congo (zaire) and not from kenya.

of course this has no bearing on the quality of the music or the mind that put it together...

peace.

Many bands in Kenyan were actually from Congo/Zaire.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

peace.

Was aware of that from the info on the info on the labels - the languages are often given and a quick google will tell you which country. 2 are from Congo/Zaire - the Trio Majesi (different bag anyway, it's an LP) and the Orch Lipua Lipua. And a couple are from Tanzania. Was going to call it Kinshasa-Nairobi Express vol 4 or whatever but figured it might be a bit cheeky.

Nice to ku-kata with you.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Many bands in Kenyan were actually from Congo/Zaire.

Interesting, I just googled some...

"During the 1950s, when they experienced rapid urbanization and a relatively booming economy, the two French-speaking colonies of the Congo area (capitals in Brazzaville and Kinshasa) witnessed the birth of an African version of the Cuban rumba played by small American-style orchestras (called "kasongo", "kirikiri" or "soukous") with a touch of jazz and of local attitudes: Joseph "Grand Kalle" Kabasselleh's African Jazz (that counted on vocalist Tabu Ley, guitarist "Docteur" Nico Kasanda, saxophonist Manu Dibango), Jean-Serge Essous' O.K.Jazz (featuring the young Franco), Orchestre Bella Bella, etc. Each orchestra became famous for one or more "dances" that they invented. So soukous (as Ley dubbed it in 1966) is actually a history of dances, rather than one monolithic genre (Ley's definition originally applied only to a frenzied version of rumba). A guitarist named Jimmy Elenga introduced "animation": instructions yelled to the crowd in order to direct their dances. Animation eventually became part of the dance, delivering both the identity of the dance, the (ethnic) identity of the band and a (more or less subtle) sociopolitical message. As dictators seized power in both Congos, musicians emigrated to other African countries, to Europe and to the USA, thus spreading soukous around the world, while in Zaire (Congo Kinshasa) soukous bands were used for Maoist-style propaganda purposes ("l'animation politique")." http://www.scaruffi.com/history/african.html

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

"During the 1950s, when they experienced rapid urbanization and a relatively booming economy, the two French-speaking colonies of the Congo area (capitals in Brazzaville and Kinshasa) witnessed the birth of an African version of the Cuban rumba played by small American-style orchestras (called "kasongo", "kirikiri" or "soukous") with a touch of jazz and of local attitudes...

Some time ago someone posted a link to a blog with all these african salsa mixes that were really hot. Very Cuban sound but with a more pronounced African rhythm section. I'm very unfamiliar on the whole with salsa made in Africa but that blog was the truth, if anyone has the link, can you please post it again, I forgot to bookmark it.

Nice mix SC!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I think that was Wu... but here you go.

http://ethnomusic.podomatic.com/