Obsessed with music an effort to relive the past?

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Nostalgia?Memories?A time and place when things were simpler?or am i projecting here?what about you?

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    whitesnake-Slow N' easy

reminds me of being little and hangin out at huge afterparties with aunt and uncles...at our house. They were in highschool, they had big hair, metal, and gave no fuck.

• The best thing about the future is knowing i'll never forget the past!!

oh mtv, what happened along the way...

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Possibly - I know that I get very depressed when I hear optimistic old songs on the radio. You know, like, "Woah, shit's gotten way worse than what they were singing back then..."

But on the other hand, I just look at it from a logistics point of view - there's alot of great music stretching back for decades, I wanna get up on it before worrying too much about the present. If the stuff from the present is good, it'll still be there later.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    interesting. I remember reading an interview with Cut Chemist, and he had this theory that musicphiles generally tended to be obsessed with music made around the time they were born. He is about my age, so he was talking about how his really favorite stuff that really spoke to him was stuff from like 72-75.

I kinda liked that idea, as some of my favorite stuff is from that time, but I also have very broad tastes, and I love finding a record that I used to have on cassette when I was young as well (i.e. some Cars or J. Geils Band, etc).

I dunno, I think that if you are really truly obsessed with music, you'll just be into the top quality stuff of any genre of any era.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    interesting. I remember reading an interview with Cut Chemist, and he had this theory that musicphiles generally tended to be obsessed with music made around the time they were born. He is about my age, so he was talking about how his really favorite stuff that really spoke to him was stuff from like 72-75.

I kinda liked that idea, as some of my favorite stuff is from that time, but I also have very broad tastes, and I love finding a record that I used to have on cassette when I was young as well (i.e. some Cars or J. Geils Band, etc).

I dunno, I think that if you are really truly obsessed with music, you'll just be into the top quality stuff of any genre of any era.

this kind of holds true to me and my friends also, we're all into hiphop from 85-88.

• lord234lord234 236 Posts

this one was ill too

• lord234lord234 236 Posts
    a lot of the music we're listening to is highly emotional, so of course you might become nostalgic about certain things, but if you only listen to music to relive the past i feel sorry for you..... maybe i used to be like that a bit when i was younger, but i think that has to change with time

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Too multi-faceted to describe.