where should I go? (work related)

Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Hi Soul Strut.I found out that I'll be leaving the Peach State in November. I may have an option to go anywhere in the continental U.S. I kind of want to go back to NJ but not my native city/area. Where are some nice places to live in this country. I like the Pacific NW a lot. What are your thoughts and suggestions?

Comments

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    ye olde transfer season, ey? i lived in seattle for a couple years back in '96-'98. i really liked it too. where in jersey can you get stationed? i've always tried to stay away from texas. good luck to you though. how long after you submit your wants till you get orders? i've been pretty fortunate in my transfers, but the wait is killer.

seattle
    virginia
    philly
    virginia
    san diego
    san francisco

if you'd like to know more about any of these places, send a pm.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    ye olde transfer season, ey? i lived in seattle for a couple years back in '96-'98. i really liked it too. where in jersey can you get stationed? i've always tried to stay away from texas. good luck to you though. how long after you submit your wants till you get orders? i've been pretty fortunate in my transfers, but the wait is killer.

seattle
    virginia
    philly
    virginia
    san diego
    san francisco

if you'd like to know more about any of these places, send a pm.
    Sup Mr. Cas.

I'm going to Recruiter school in August. So from 2008 to 2011, I'll be on Recruiting
    duty. I can get stationed anywhere in NJ but I ain't trying to go back to Atlantic City. I know way to many dudes who are into doing dirt and I can't be around that

I got my orders on Tuesday but I know people who are in the system and can get me a nice assignment.

All of the cities that you posted, I wouldn't mind recruiting there.

-Mike

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    1. long beach ca
    2. austin tx
    3. miami fl
    4. new haven ct
    5. portland or
    6. new orleans la
    7. memphis tn
    8. eugene or
    9. chappell hill nc
    10 the o.c.

peace, stein. . .

1. long beach ca (been curious of the LBC)
    2. austin tx (ARC+Friends of Sound= )
    3. miami fl ()
    4. new haven ct (Close to home, which is a plus.)
    5. portland or=Yes.
    6. new orleans la
    7. memphis tn=I've heard good things about Memphis
    8. eugene or
    9. chappell hill nc=(Drove through there before. I like the atmosphere.)
    10 the o.c.=(Heard good and bad.)

peace, stein. . .

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

New Haven is shit, don't go there. The same for Miami and New Orleans, crime-ridden as hell. Portland, pardon the phrase, is much too Eurocentric (so I'm told). A White colleague who has tried to recruit me to Portland State in the past said so. Here are some spots to check out:

-Raleigh/Durham.
    -Rockville, MD (Montgomery County is really nice).
    -Fairfax, VA (or any northern Virginia spot).
    -Baltimore (suburbs).
    -Columbus, OH.
    -cosign on Nashville and Chapel Hill (NC).
    -Charlotte, NC.
    -Philly.
    -New Jersey (so we can hang out).
    -Dallas/Fort Worth (I realy liked it there).
    -Houston (hot, but nice).
    -Indianapolis (up-and-coming among 'our folks').
    -Atlanta.
    -D.C. (the Chocolate City).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey,

New Haven is shit, don't go there. The same for Miami and New Orleans, crime-ridden as hell. Portland, pardon the phrase, is much too Eurocentric (so I'm told). A White colleague who has tried to recruit me to Portland State in the past said so. Here are some spots to check out:

-Raleigh/Durham.
    -Baltimore (suburbs).
    -Columbus, OH.
    -Charlotte, NC.
    -Philly.
    -Atlanta.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    Thanks for the feedback, Stacks!

NJ/MD/PA looks like strong contenders. OH and IN are places that I'm sure I would enjoy.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Portland, pardon the phrase, is much too Eurocentric (so I'm told).

Like anywhere it depends on where you reside, the westside and the suburbs are pretty damn white errr..
    I mean "Eurocentric". The eastside is a different story.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    NC (not Bragg, scary area of NC)
    L'ville was cool (guard the gold at Ft Knox)
    Nofax VA is a cool spot

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Portland, pardon the phrase, is much too Eurocentric (so I'm told).

Like anywhere it depends on where you reside, the westside and the suburbs are pretty damn white errr..
    I mean "Eurocentric". The eastside is a different story.

There's a sizable population of people of color in Portland? That's news to me.

And the word you want here is WHITE. Eurocentric is like...Solvang.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

-Baltimore (suburbs).

You get work in any of these spots, and all the other spots are within commutable distance. Essentially, it's all the same big spot, lots of differences betwixt and between, but that's the upside. Downside is even the Baltimore suburbs housing has gotten expensive, but still cheaper compared with DC, Rockville or North VA. Personally, I would recommend DC or Rockville waaaaaay before VA, but that's because getting around in Northern VA is a huge pain in the ass. It all depends on whatcha like or can stand.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I live in Baltimore and would recommend Baltimore city, but NOT the Baltimore suburbs. The DC suburbs (Silver Spring being a good one) are very connected to the city both geographically and culturally. In fact, Silver Spring and Takoma Park in some places feel more like a city than Baltimore does. If you live in one of these cities near a Metro stop, you're golden.

The Baltimore suburbs, on the other hand, have very poor public transportation into the city and very little cultural anything.

Housing prices in Baltimore have skyrocketed lately, but they used to be dirt cheap, so they're still substantially less than DC.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    if i was ever to move from MIA (which my lady probably wont let me unless its just north to broward county), it would be ATL all the way.
    stupid cheap cost of living, southern living (which i accustomed to), and minorities doing well for themselves.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

There's a sizable population of people of color in Portland? That's news to me.

And the word you want here is WHITE.

Thank you, Portland is not at all Eurocentric. It is very segregated, however. There are very large pockets and neighborhoods comprising immigrant and minority populations, but many people think of Portland as consisting mainly of downtown, the NW shopping district, most of SE, and parts of SW, all of which are pretty white.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yo Dude,

Seriously I would reccomend Philly, North Jersey (Hoboken/Jersey City,) and Brooklyn as all being great. I know Baltimore is on the come-up and I know a lot of people who have moved there in the past 5 years and they love it, but I don't know if I can give you an atcual endorsement right now.

I've never lived anywhere else but I've done a lot of traveling and I've always thought that Austin and Chicago seem mad liveable to me (although Chicago gets cold as fuck.)

If you want more info on Philly/NJ/BK get at me.

Peace,

Big CB in the BK

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

-Raleigh/Durham.
    -Baltimore (suburbs).
    -Columbus, OH.
    -Charlotte, NC.
    -Philly.
    -Atlanta.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

NJ/MD/PA looks like strong contenders. OH and IN are places that I'm sure I would enjoy.

Hey M**e,

You might find this article/study informative Best and Worst Cities for Blacks . Notice where my soon-to-be former city of residence ranked .

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey,

-Raleigh/Durham.
    -Baltimore (suburbs).
    -Columbus, OH.
    -Charlotte, NC.
    -Philly.
    -Atlanta.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey M**e,

You might find this article/study informative Best and Worst Cities for Blacks . Notice where my soon-to-be former city of residence ranked .

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    Damn, I didn't know Milwaukee was that bad.

Is Charlotte the new Atlanta?

Hey,

-Raleigh/Durham.
    -Baltimore (suburbs).
    -Columbus, OH.
    -Charlotte, NC.
    -Philly.
    -Atlanta.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey M**e,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    Damn, I didn't know Milwaukee was that bad.

Is Charlotte the new Atlanta?

Man, Milwaukee is FUCKED UP for Black folks, but a great place for White folks to live (as my colleagues would relate). It's built for White folks in terms of cultural opportunities, entertainment, social structure, education, economy, etc. Blacks, given our disproportionately low socioeconomic status as a group, largely are irrelevant, or worse, seen as a nuisance. Sadly, I can understand why with all that n***a-shit going on in the North-Central part of the city, and it's spreading to the "Vanilla Suburbs." Such a social system spells trouble for upper-middle-class Black folks, as they can't relate to either Whites (due to racial tensions) or Blacks (due to class tensions). The result? Social isolation. There is NO Black middle-class aesthetic here, since Black venues are located in THE HOOD, where you dare to tread after dark. So, at nice places, Blacks MUST always be in the minority ("Elsa's" downtown is the one exception I can think of, but it's a restaurant). Most Black folks are relegated to the fucked up, disenfranchised part of the city, with a few Black dots (like me) sprinkled in the suburbs. In the North-Central city, there is constant crime, violence, and under-education there, and few economic opportunities.

As far as Charlotte goes, I think it is a little overrated (bear in mind my assessment is based from 2000 when I was last there). I think the cultural scene pales in comparison to cities like Atlanta, NY, D.C., etc. It has a ways to go to become a major cultural center for Black folks in a relative sense.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Having lived in NC for 3 years Charlotte was wack to me. Preferred Raleigh/Chapel Hill, Asheville, or Wilmington waaaaaaaaay over Charlotte.

Charlotte is full of bankers and thats about it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Having lived in NC for 3 years Charlotte was wack to me. Preferred Raleigh/Chapel Hill, Asheville, or Wilmington waaaaaaaaay over Charlotte.

My folks lived there for about 5 years in the mid 90s and it was basically a culturally "eh" city. Lots of malls. That's about the highlight.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts

My folks lived there for about 5 years in the mid 90s and it was basically a culturally "eh" city. Lots of malls. That's about the highlight.

you are doing the city a great disservice by not mentioning the fine motor speedway and nascar museum

M**e is Black, so don't suggest racist-ass Wilmington pleeeeeeease!!! My first academic gig was at UNC-W. It was a miserable 2 years living there, and worse than Milwaukee. They're still stuck in the Anti-Bellum period down there. T**i cried about hating it there and she's not the softie type. Again, my White colleagues would tell me how a great a place it was to live. It's amazing to me how subjective perceptions of place can differ so diametrically across racial-ethnic lines. Similar to Milwaukee, however, the Wilmington aesthetic pretty much ignores Black folks, as it is all about the beach and bars (none of which cater to 'our folks'). T**i and I went to an upscale restaurant blocks from Wrightsville Beach, and let's just say, the music stopped and the sneers began It was like some fucked-up movie scene shit, and this was in 2000. Anyway, people are not very progressive there; therefore, I advise you not consider Wilmington or any section of southeastern North Carolina south of Raleigh (including Fayetteville because there ain't shit going on).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

M**e is Black, so don't suggest racist-ass Wilmington pleeeeeeease!!! My first academic gig was at UNC-W. It was a miserable 2 years living there, and worse than Milwaukee. They're still stuck in the Anti-Bellum period down there. T**i cried about hating it there and she's not the softie type. Again, my White colleagues would tell me how a great a place it was to live. It's amazing to me how subjective perceptions of place can differ so diametrically across racial-ethnic lines. Similar to Milwaukee, however, the Wilmington aesthetic pretty much ignores Black folks, as it is all about the beach and bars (none of which cater to 'our folks'). T**i and I went to an upscale restaurant blocks from Wrightsville Beach, and let's just say, the music stopped and the sneers began It was like some fucked-up movie scene shit, and this was in 2000. Anyway, people are not very progressive there; therefore, I advise you not consider Wilmington or any section of southeastern North Carolina south of Raleigh (including Fayetteville because there ain't shit going on).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yeh i can definately see that, that whole section fo NC is ass backward, moreseo than the rest of the state. I was just throwing it out there just for the sheer amount of honies there. My brother in-law is prof. there so I spent alot of weekends there. I will say that NC overall is pretty backwards outside of the raleigh-durham-chapel hill area, and maybe Asheville except that place is infested with hippies aka trustafarians (sorry can't stand em).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

maybe Asheville except that place is infested with hippies aka trustafarians (sorry can't stand em).

Asheville also would be very culturally-barren for Blacks. I would not recommend a Black person to live anywhere in western North Carolina, outside of Charlotte which is more south-centrally located. The same goes for western Virginia, all of West Virginia, northwestern Maryland, and the western parts of Pennsylvania, Ohio (southern too; how do you think Bush won this state, it's backward as hell), and South Carolina (most of the freakin' state for that matter).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

maybe Asheville except that place is infested with hippies aka trustafarians (sorry can't stand em).

Asheville also would be very culturally-barren for Blacks. I would not recommend a Black person to live anywhere in western North Carolina, outside of Charlotte which is more south-centrally located. The same goes for western Virginia, all of West Virginia, northwestern Maryland, and the western parts of Pennsylvania, Ohio (southern too; how do you think Bush won this state, it's backward as hell), and South Carolina (most of the freakin' state for that matter).

As far as asheville I was only referring to the music scene which is decent there as well as it being a hub for alot of fine artists is all.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Hey,

-Raleigh/Durham.
    -Baltimore (suburbs).
    -Columbus, OH.
    -Charlotte, NC.
    -Philly.
    -Atlanta.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I was in Cleveland, OH last week. It was not good. However, I've heard many good things about Columbus.

I've lived along the Mid-Atlantic corridor--from Baltimore to Richmond--for a while. That's nice area, but I miss the ocean. Ocean towns that I like are Charleston, Miami and San Diego.

Yep, that's true. It really depends on one's racial identity. If you don't mind lack of racial contact, such a place might work. Most Black folks I talk to about location are not attracted to such places, but a lot of these are academic-types; however, migration research suggests that people in general, especially minorities, prefer going to places where there is a "critical mass" of same-race (and same-class) individuals.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    DOOD

SEATTLE