Shipping to Italy = a no no?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Just curious but what's up with sellers not shipping to Italy? Is their postal service crazy wack? Or just the buyers?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The postal service.

I employ no such bann, but I have had packages broken in two before. Only in Italy.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    From what I understand their postal service is a privately owned company and pretty shady....I just sold an LP to a guy in Italy for four figures and shipped it Fed-X.....I suggest this if at all possible and/or affordable.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I've bought from and sold to people in Italy on a few occassions and had no problems. Bought things maybe twice in the last year, and probably shipped 5-10 things over the same period.

• I've sent over 50 packages to italy and even a few to malta, none of them ever being broken or missing far as i know. This is not to say i trust the service because others obviously have had problems.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I also tend to think that people are making too much of this. I send records to Italy monthly and have yet to have a problem (knock on formica).

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Here's a good story to illustrate issues with the Italian postal system.
    Italian postal strike in the 80s I believe. Lasts for 2 months. After the strike is over, the Italian postal service gathers up all the backed up mail in railway cars and burns them.
    I think they've improved though

• markus71markus71 937 Posts

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Damn, We'll see!!! I have a few in Italy that are bidding on some items. I'll see if it's worth shipping fed ex!!!

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    I'm italian.

the postal service there is very bad, cause there is an inner organization (smthg like a criminal syndacate), that make possible for some of them-bad apples, steal unregistered envelopes and packages....

so when you make a deal remember to agree on this: the envelope shall sent by registered mail, this way all the postmen have to sign for all the stages of the shipment/delivery...

that way the final delivery should be steal-proof........

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Very intersting reading your point of view from the inside Strider but does Registered International Airmail protect the seller from Paypal chargebacks? I just instated a no shipping to Italy policy due to there being problems 100% of the time for me over the years when shipping there. Of course I still get a winner (who pays ultra quick, though) from Italy so I guess I must insist on an additional $11 for Registered. Riiiiight?

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    Very intersting reading your point of view from the inside Strider but does Registered International Airmail protect the seller from Paypal chargebacks? I just instated a no shipping to Italy policy due to there being problems 100% of the time for me over the years when shipping there. Of course I still get a winner (who pays ultra quick, though) from Italy so I guess I must insist on an additional $11 for Registered. Riiiiight?

I'm not sure abt paypal chargebacks, but the international airmail registered should work fine... a bit more expensive, but safe.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I've sent over 50 packages to italy and even a few to malta, none of them ever being broken or missing far as i know. This is not to say i trust the service because others obviously have had problems.

Yeah but obviously you "know people."