Random Sunday afternoon thoughts

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Woke up today just in time to view my "programs" - Meet The Press and The McLaughlin Group. That's my Sunday ritual, wake up before anyone else and peep these "programs" over a hot fresh cup of coffee.When I say "programs" that's meant to convey the same meaning as when my grandmother (may she rest in peace) used to call her afternoon soaps "her stories."I never realized actually how LAME "Game Of Death' is. The fight scenes are dope but I'm sorry, I can't watch a Bruce Lee flick with teh fake Bruce Lee. The sunglasses aren't working.Carrie Fisher - highly blappable or early 80s coke casualty? I go for the former - highly blapalicious.Will post more.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I fucks with them "programs".

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

When I say "programs" that's meant to convey the same meaning as when my grandmother (may she rest in peace) used to call her afternoon soaps "her stories."
    I like that

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

I never realized actually how LAME "Game Of Death' is. The fight scenes are dope but I'm sorry, I can't watch a Bruce Lee flick with teh fake Bruce Lee. The sunglasses aren't working.

i finally got around to watching this recently and was highly dissapointed. the story(that they pushed way to hard) was weak. plus bruce came pretty homo through the whole thing he wasnt that good at fighting, he was a movie star. i feel as though the bruce lee gimik was in full effect for that film.

on a related note. i told one of my room mates that he could sleep in my room because i was going out of town and there was a party that night and he had work in the morning and his room is downstairs. so he stays there and i got back this morning to find my unsaved project on my 2000xl unplugged. heartbreak. i had the lcd covered. i have no idea why he unplugged it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    As I woke up this morning, and opened the window to smell the crisp summer air, a dove landed on my shoulder and whipered sweet nothings into my ear.

• Options
    I'm going outside to spray MiracleGro all over the clematis, bocapa, begonias, and cannas.

I wish David Rodigan was on my porch cheering me on, instead of having to listen to my neighbor's leaf blower. Using any landscaping machine should be illegal on a Sunday.

Some kid just drove by in a Charger blasting reggaeton.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    My lesson for the day...

Use weed sparingly. That shit will take over your life if you let it.

and when you get stoned, there better be some music playing

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    I'm going outside to spray MiracleGro all over the clematis, bocapa, begonias, and cannas.

I wish David Rodigan was on my porch cheering me on, instead of having to listen to my neighbor's leaf blower. Using any landscaping machine should be illegal on a Sunday.

Some kid just drove by in a Charger blasting reggaeton.

play by play sunday front yard action at its reelest

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I just watched Office Space. Quitting my job would be so sweeeeet right now...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Carrie Fisher - highly blappable or early 80s coke casualty? I go for the former - highly blapalicious.

I don't think the two choices are mutually exclusive. I'd say she was the former, then sorta became the latter.

Making a proper tomato sauce to use in a lasagna is tougher than I thought. It keeps coming out too sweet for my liking. The lasagna itself turns out nicely, but I need to cut some of the sweetness out of the sauce. Incidentally, lasagna is a great dish for the budget-impaired. It doesn't cost a whole lot to make, and it can feed you for days on end.

I finally bit the bullet (sold out?) and got Microwave. I've spent most of my free time this week importing, organizing, BPM tagging, and setting cue points on all this music. It's kinda weird.

My big financial plan for this year was to finally pay off my credit card. There is no way that's happening, which is sort of sad. I'm going to be carrying this balance for years, it seems, and that bugs me.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

Making a proper tomato sauce to use in a lasagna is tougher than I thought. It keeps coming out too sweet for my liking. The lasagna itself turns out nicely, but I need to cut some of the sweetness out of the sauce. Incidentally, lasagna is a great dish for the budget-impaired. It doesn't cost a whole lot to make, and it can feed you for days on end.

are you starting with basic tomato sauce or paste base? or are you starting with a pre made?

are you starting with basic tomato sauce or paste base? or are you starting with a pre made?

Tomato puree, actually. I tried half puree/half paste once but didn't really like the results.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    are you adding sugar at all, or is it too sweet for your tastes from the get go?

• My lesson for the day...

Use weed sparingly. That shit will take over your life if you let it.

and when you get stoned, there better be some music playing

are you adding sugar at all, or is it too sweet for your tastes from the get go?

I've added a bit of sugar in the past, but this latest time around, I didn't, just a pinch of baking soda, which I was told helps cut the acidity, but also might've added to the sweetness. Next time around, I'll add nothing but spices and see how it turns out. Fortunately, by the time the lasagna comes out of the oven, the sweetness isn't an issue, so this is sort of just me being finicky.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

I never realized actually how LAME "Game Of Death' is. The fight scenes are dope but I'm sorry, I can't watch a Bruce Lee flick with teh fake Bruce Lee. The sunglasses aren't working.

fake bruce lee makes me uncomfortable because i didn't know that was his last movie when i was young and i had no idea what happened when fake bruce came on screen. all of a sudden the face changed and it was befuddling.

the NES Kung Fu game always reminded me of this movie. How he keeps going up the stairs and a harder opponent awaits him? the nes game is better than the movie.

anyway, i'm drinking coffee and watching the a's about get get swept by the mets

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    The ricotta makes all the difference...my girl made some Ravioli from scratch the other day, and instead of the store brand ricotta, opted for the baller, imported ricotta...damn it was good...

the best things in life are free (or very cheap)...my girl bought a scrabble game at a yard sale for a $1 or something, and we just sat at the kitchen table and played scrabble for 4 or 5 hours yesterday, it was really nice and fun...

checking out Hanadensha's "Narcotic Guitar"(Boredoms guitar player's solo record from '96) for the radio show tonight...I havent listened to this thing in about 8 years...one fucked up sounding record...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

the best things in life are free (or very cheap)

I totally agree with this. Right now, its about 80 degrees with a nice cool breeze. Clear sky. Life is beautiful. I can't think of anything better than this. People make themselves crazy chasing after dumb schitt, but it's all right here.

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts
    Is my siopao gonna turn out correctly?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm hungry. I haven't had a real good cannoli in years.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

I've added a bit of sugar in the past, but this latest time around, I didn't, just a pinch of baking soda, which I was told helps cut the acidity, but also might've added to the sweetness. Next time around, I'll add nothing but spices and see how it turns out. Fortunately, by the time the lasagna comes out of the oven, the sweetness isn't an issue, so this is sort of just me being finicky.

i usually add a little bit of brown sugar to my sauce, but keep it pretty modest. I agree with you about the lasagna end result comming together in the end. i should make myself some. ive been on the hunger and poor tip recently too.

im staying in Santa Cruz till july 8th. if im up in the bay at all with some time, ill give you a call. i picked up another copy of your 12" to give to a friend and he loves it. My girlfriend finally got to hear it too and she dug it too.

• I'm hungry. I haven't had a real good cannoli in years.

ugh!! http://www.luigisbakery.com/best_cannoli.htm

thats how we do here!

Tomato puree, actually. I tried half puree/half paste once but didn't really like the results.

Puree is concentrated tomatoes. Ive never heard of a sauce w/ this as a base.
    Whole Plum tomatoes crushed by hand or through as food mill is the way to go.
    U can use a dry white wine(the acidity) to cut the sweetness of the tomatoes.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    Puree is concentrated tomatoes a setting on my food processor. (possibly)

Puree is concentrated tomatoes a setting on my food processor. (possibly)

Haha....
    And adding sugar to tomatoes aint me. Tomatoes already have a natural sugar that comes out in the cookin'.

• Options
    anyway, i'm drinking coffee and watching the a's about get get swept by the mets

I'm watching the same thing, and a minute ago I picked my nose and for some random reason almost ate the booger. Haven't done that in years.

My brother used to wipe boogers for me to find on the wall next to the toilet in the bathroom we shared.

I still haven't gone out to fertilize the plants. A couple days ago I was out there and all of a sudden an ambulance and the firechief rolled up to my neighbors house two doors down. The guy who lives there, his sister lopped off two fingers with a tablesaw. Tough break. My next-door neighbor Dick told me what happened, then told me he caught a 48" bass on Fathers Day at the mouth of the inlet near the western sandbar. Dude is 75 and an absolute king of leisure.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

fake bruce lee makes me uncomfortable because i didn't know that was his last movie when i was young and i had no idea what happened when fake bruce came on screen. all of a sudden the face changed and it was befuddling.

the NES Kung Fu game always reminded me of this movie. How he keeps going up the stairs and a harder opponent awaits him? the nes game is better than the movie.

Yeah, "Game of Death" was one of the strangest films out there given that Bruce died so early into the production.

Folks are encouraged to check out Justin Lin's next film, which is a mockumentary about completing "Game of Death" called "Finishing the Game"

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

I finally bit the bullet (sold out?) and got Microwave. I've spent most of my free time this week importing, organizing, BPM tagging, and setting cue points on all this music. It's kinda weird.

My big financial plan for this year was to finally pay off my credit card. There is no way that's happening, which is sort of sad. I'm going to be carrying this balance for years, it seems, and that bugs me.

Feel you on all 3. The issue I find is that with the tomato sauce is that as the lasagna cooks the sugars break down into simpler sugars and ends up tasting too sweet.

Credit cards are so dangerous. It scares me to think about how much money I'd have if I never got into this DJing shit.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

When I say "programs" that's meant to convey the same meaning as when my grandmother (may she rest in peace) used to call her afternoon soaps "her stories."

That term is really big with elderly black women; I've had aunts who used to call soap operas "stories" as well. As far as "program," when I was growing up, my dad probably watched LESS TV than me, my mom and my sister combined. The few times he did, he'd always say something like "what's that PROGRAM with...," "what time is that PROGRAM on," "didn't they used to show that PROGRAM in the afternoon," etc.. And he always pronounced it "PRO-grim" (not "pro-GRAM," with the accent on the second syllable like everybody else). He never said "show," it was always "program."

Carrie Fisher - highly blappable or early 80s coke casualty? I go for the former - highly blapalicious.

I haven't seen her lately, but the scene in The Blues Brothers where she's under a tunnel, holding Dan Akroyd & John Belushi at gunpoint, wearing tight clothing and looking hella good, clearly explains why she was Hollywood Armpiece #1 for a few years there in the '80s.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I drove an extremely drunk friend home last night after DJing. He had moved, so it took me about an hour out of my way into the middle of Nowhere, NC. Then after this good deed, about 2 miles from my house at 4:15am I got pulled by a cop.

He gave me some drunk tests.

I passed.

He let me go with no hassles.

So I slept until about 2pm, at some leftover chinese, had a beer and watched my programs* on DVD.

Gonna see my friend's band tonight at an outdoor event and my ex will be there. I bought her a birthday present. It'll be nice to see her.

LIFE =

*2 eps. of ENTOURAGE season 3

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I just ate some eggs with vegitarian sausage. delicious. I plan on doing jack-shit today, so get ready soulstrutters (well I might work on some music and hit the gym) BUT STILL!!!!!!