Attn: Dancehall heads

40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Can somebody please school me on this guy David Rodigan? All i know is he's a dancehall dj from London...

Comments

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    the second comming of dance hall?
    i hope he brings mr vegas with him.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    He's the real deal old school homie, Soul. Dude is very much the man. Here is a pretty cool article on him in the Jamaica Observer. Also, peep the Rodigan VS Downbeat clash that went down in Brooklyn a few years ago, epic shit. You get on IM a little later and I got you.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Also his dub game is unfuckwithable.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    that was covered on the strut recently when dude released the kings of reggae comp, but I can??t find the thread. he is THE dancehall guy, long established radio dj from the UK and infamous for his dubplate collection.
    the dubplate mix on his website is

http://www.rodigan.com/intro/selecta/selecta.html

• Options
    He's the real deal old school homie, Soul. Dude is very much the man. Here is a pretty cool article on him in the Jamaica Observer. Also, peep the Rodigan VS Downbeat clash that went down in Brooklyn a few years ago, epic shit. You get on IM a little later and I got you.

Rodigan is a freak. I used to run the hell out of a tape, maybe 9 years ago, that was a clash between him and Killimanjaro (when Ricky Trooper ran that sound) that took place at a club in Hempstead called JamRoc. The woman from Positive Vibes, an old and now-defunct reggae store on Long Island where I bought the tape told me it does no justice to seeing him live. I've seen pictures of the guy but never saw him in action until now, you have no idea how much those two videos made my day.

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
    Cosmo, for the next Rub u should get him to spin a guest set and have Junko dance!

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
    Rodigan is a freak. I used to run the hell out of a tape, maybe 9 years ago, that was a clash between him and Killimanjaro (when Ricky Trooper ran that sound) that took place at a club in Hempstead called JamRoc. The woman from Positive Vibes, an old and now-defunct reggae store on Long Island where I bought the tape told me it does no justice to seeing him live. I've seen pictures of the guy but never saw him in action until now, you have no idea how much those two videos made my day.

Damn, I used to spin at Jam Roc back in the day. Positive Vibes was on Route 110 in Amityville right?

• Options

Damn, I used to spin at Jam Roc back in the day. Positive Vibes was on Route 110 in Amityville right?

Yeah, kind of. It was on Sunrise Hwy, right near 110 but a little east of the Great Neck Rd exit on Sunrise. It might have also been on 110 at some point, but I only knew it when it was on Sunrise.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Rodigan is an OG in every sense of the term. He's had a show on BBC radio forever and he's been clashing dudes since the early 80s. His nickname is "The Gentleman Rudeboy" and if you hear/see him clash, you'll know why. He only shit-talks when absolutely necessary, and even then, it's pretty respectful. Dude is as down as down gets.

Plus, the little stories he tells before dropping a dub are priceless.

"The year was 1967 and the place was Studio One, Kingston, Jamaica. A young man by the name of Horace Andy. No other sound in the WOOOORLD can play this!"

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Can somebody please school me on this guy David Rodigan? All i know is he's a dancehall dj from London...

1). Can someone make me an avatar of Rodigan dancing from the first clip?
    2). Ross, what's the first track in the second clip?
    3). This guy has more energy and stage pressence than most rappers.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    2). Ross, what's the first track in the second clip?

Sounds like a dubplate of Tanya Stephen's "These Streets."

• Options
    Cosmo, for the next Rub u should get him to spin a guest set and have Junko dance!

Bogle had girl standing on her damn head.

• scebasceba 122 Posts
    I agree it's most propably These Streets, Tanya Stephens. Sound quality is kinda shaky.

Rodigan is a monster in the clashes. Here's a link to a clash between Rodigan, Bass Odyssey & LP.
    Rodigan, Bass Odyssey LP clash in Germany 2006 Rodigan has some really good comebacks like when, was it Bass Odyssey or LP, can't remember, disses him of old age he comes back with that track that goes: soundboy, go home to your nana, nana. He's definetly nice with his dubplate game.

This site also has a bunch of clashes for DL:

Clashes-R-Us

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Rodigan is legendary, deepest crates in the biz, dub plates from the 60's....

The truly the living definition of

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    on all of the above.

one thing though.

He no longer works for the BBC. He's had a show on various London based stations, BBC Radio London, Capital Radio, and then Kiss, since the late 70's. He's never had a show on the nation wide BBC though, which is a real shame.

You can catch his show on Kiss100 every sunday night though.

Here's a biog/interview

• Options

From that interview:

Since then he has been up against some of the most notorious clashing sounds, not least Ricky Trooper of Killamanjaro. However, their clash in 1997 was not without it's problems. The event was held in New York and as far as Rodigan was concerned, he came out the winner, but his opponent was not happy and he says "there were some racist remarks near the end that was unnecessary". After receiving an apology from Trooper over the telephone, Rodigan always the gentleman, accepted and put the issue behind him. Surprisingly, he harbours no malice and when asked who his hardest opponent in the clash arena, he pinpoints Trooper and elaborates "he's an inspiring selector and he has tremendous energy and commitment. He's a very tough nut to crack".

That's the clash I was referring to earlier, the only one of his I have on tape. At one point Trooper calls him out saying something to the effect of "You come here with a face white like snow, try fi kill Killimanjaro". Now I have to find that tape, I want to hear it again.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Oh, and it is Tanya Stephens, but it's not 'these streets' but "if a pussy want war"

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    thanks for this