80's sitcom appreciation!!!

bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I don't really watch much TV anymore 'cause all the shows are terrible...All the same forensic police show garbage...What happend to shows like "different strokes", "family ties", "who's the boss", etc? I could watch this shit all day long...

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What happend to shows like "different strokes", "family ties", "who's the boss", etc? I could watch this shit all day long...

There are still sitcoms that cats watch religiously like Everybody Loves Raymond. Ill pass.

I could bring up all the classic 80's joints. But Id rather discuss the B-sides of the 80's sitcom era.
    The ones that didnt get hyped like crazy but people remember.

The Odd Couple.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I don't really watch much TV anymore 'cause all the shows are terrible...All the same forensic police show garbage...What happend to shows like "different strokes", "family ties", "who's the boss", etc? I could watch this shit all day long...

80s was the nadir of sitcom dom. The 50s 60s and 90s are where it's at.

What's Happining Now!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I used to watch 80's sitcoms (re-runs) when I was in grade school. Diff'rent Strokes was my favorite. I don't think I could stand watching that show right now though.

However, I really want to see a couple of episodes of Small Wonder.

I used to watch 80's sitcoms (re-runs) when I was in grade school. Diff'rent Strokes was my favorite. I don't think I could stand watching that show right now though.

I missed Small Wonder.

Saw Cosby a few years ago and was amazed at how poorly it has aged. Most sit coms are like wine and need to age before they are any good, but Cosby durned to vinegar. I wonder if the same is true for wonder Years which I loved. Wish I had studied math.

Simpsons started in the 80s so there was some good stuff.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Vicki was talented. In order keep a straight face and talk like a robot episode after episode takes skill.

Harriet always bugged me.

Vicki was talented. In order keep a straight face and talk like a robot episode after episode takes skill.

Thanks! That was surreal.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I could bring up all the classic 80's joints. But Id rather discuss the B-sides of the 80's sitcom era.

Like My Two Dads. Or Better Days (1986 show about a white teenaged surfer boy who is forced to move to Brooklyn and hang out with black hip-hop kids - no joke).

Or...

Or
    Better Days (1986 show about a white teenaged surfer boy who is forced to move to Brooklyn and hang out with black hip-hop kids - no joke).

Or
    Better Days (1986 show about a white teenaged surfer boy who is forced to move to Brooklyn and hang out with black hip-hop kids - no joke).

See, it looks to me you are saying "I remember that!"

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    my girl was watching "Kate and Allie" the other day...I hadnt seen that shit in a loooooong time.....I was a strange kind during those years, I remember having a crush on both Jane Curtain and Ari Meyers

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

I missed Small Wonder.

Saw Cosby a few years ago and was amazed at how poorly it has aged. Most sit coms are like wine and need to age before they are any good, but Cosby durned to vinegar. I wonder if the same is true for wonder Years which I loved. Wish I had studied math.

Damn, hatting on the Cosby Show? Thats crazy. I love that 3 hour block of Cosby on late night tv. That show was great.....and still is. The musical guest were amazing, I liked the writing too. One of my alltime greatest sitcoms ever.

Or

See, it looks to me you are saying "I remember that!"

oh shit, I dont remember that snap

I missed Small Wonder.

Damn, hatting on the Cosby Show? Thats crazy. I love that 3 hour block of Cosby on late night tv. That show was great.....and still is. The musical guest were amazing, I liked the writing too. One of my alltime greatest sitcoms ever.

I'll watch it again next time I have cable. Last time it felt so over cute with all these over cute kids and Cosby being so cute with his funny cute voice talking to the cute kids who were just doing the cutest things. I remember Dizzy Gillspie, maybe more than once. I remember the youngest one lip syncing Night Time Is The Right Time, CUTE! Don't remember any other music.

• Benson!!
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The OG Different World w/ Marisa Tomei as the token caucasoid.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Saw Cosby a few years ago and was amazed at how poorly it has aged. Most sit coms are like wine and need to age before they are any good, but Cosby durned to vinegar.

I gotta agree with this. I still like the spinoff, Different World, except for the first season (due to the unfocused scripts and Lisa Bonet's blase acting) and the last (those newer kids had nothing on Dwayne Wayne & Co.).

Saw Cosby a few years ago and was amazed at how poorly it has aged. Most sit coms are like wine and need to age before they are any good, but Cosby durned to vinegar.

I gotta agree with this. I still like the spinoff, Different World, except for the first season (due to the unfocused scripts and Lisa Bonet's blase acting) and the last (those newer kids had nothing on Dwayne Wayne & Co.).

The Cosby Show - Season One is

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    ALAN THICKE IS THE DON

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    I wonder if the same is true for wonder Years which I loved. Wish I had studied math.

As I said in another thread, Wonder Years definitely holds up. It is in syndication right now in some markets.

anyone remember The Brady Wives. The grown up Marcia & Jan living together w/ their husbands.

The Brady Brides

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

I've been catching the Cosby re-runs on Nick At Nite occasionally, and the episodes from the first few seasons still hold up OK, but after Lisa Bonet left the show got really cutesy and annoying. Especially when she came back with the little girl. Yeech.

If we're talking 80's sitcoms we can't forget about

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Thanks! That was surreal.

Really. I need a drink after that.

Too Close For Comfort.

Cult.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

wow. I loved this show. It really seems so pathetic now. There's lots of silence and awkwardness. All jokes are total nyuck nyuck jokes too. And they managed to throw in the popular illiteracy angle. I wonder if it was introduced as a "very special Small Wonder."

Anyone remember the handful of episodes on Cosby where they tried to prep the audience for Theo's NYU college spin-off show. They were going for a Different World's formula NYC/NYU.