Stop Listening To Trash!

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
anyone seen this?

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    awesome. I'm gonna put this up around my area too.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I'm not the biggest fan of any of those rappers, but who needs a billboard telling you what and what no to listen to? Who is that sponsored by? It should just have the MTV logo in the trash or Clean Channel or something.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Now now... everyone will get their sign in due course.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm not the biggest fan of any of those rappers, but who needs a billboard telling you what and what no to listen to? Who is that sponsored by? It should just have the MTV logo in the trash or Clean Channel or something.

What about all the Metal out there with foul lyrics that has a way stronger fan base than Hip Hop?? Do they get a sign??

What is this, 1987?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    that is such a contradiction there. Clear Channel owns the billboards. They own the radio stations that play all of those artists. I guess it's not a contradiction on Clear Channels part. They are all about getting money, but whatever group paid for those billboard ads was actually funding the major radio corporation that is supplying this trash to us.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Also, Twista is a "negative" rapper? I mean, I know Luda is, Bill O'Reily told me.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Also, Twista is a "negative" rapper?

I, too, thought that was odd.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Here's one I paid to have put up in my neighborhood:

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

anyone seen this?

Whoever created that billboard obviously can not differentiate between the different breeds of rappers.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    wow, my first thought that was it was probably Russell Simmons new campaign and part of the HSAN recommendation to the industry.

My second thought was... here we go again. How many people will really be mad at the message when all along we've been complaining that Hip Hop is dead. Contradiction? Never.;)

It is F'd that the point has somehow been lost in the monetary sense of things doing with clear channel, but hopefully because it was a church they got some kind of deal. LOL. Plus, most people don't really put that much thought into it anyways.

No one but us.

But really here is the low down from an online article:

50 Cent, Snoop Dogg and Lil' Wayne are among seven rappers being targeted in billboards posted by a Chicago church for its "Stop Listening To Trash" campaign, which denounces rappers that demean women and perpetuate violence through their music.

According to NBC 5, St. Sabina Church put up twenty billboards across the city on Monday (June 18). The billboards read "Stop Listening To Trash," and also lists Nelly, Twista, Fat Joe and Ludacris.

"If we are going to end the violence and the disrespect of women, we must fight every form of negativity, including the music industry," Reverend Michael Pfleger told NBC 5. "When you disrespect women and you continue to demean a community or race by names and by language, that's unacceptable. We can kill with our words."

Local rapper Shala Esquire of the group Qualo, who admits to using profane language in his music, thinks the billboards are a good idea.

"I think the billboards are a bold step in a world that has been pretty cowardly lately," he said. "Hopefully it brings balance back to hip-hop so folks can move on to beeyatchin' about something else. I'm not going to say that we don't use certain words to depict the reality of life, but it's becoming kind of crazy and it's getting out of control. Don't fix the music, fix what causes the music."

Public Enemy front man Chuck D reportedly met with Pfleiger and Senator James Meeks on Tuesday (June 19) to discuss the billboards and rap music.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    It must be nice for Fat Joe to see himself get top billin in a rap line up again.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

What about all the Metal out there with foul lyrics that has a way stronger fan base than Hip Hop?? Do they get a sign??

What is this, 1987?

I started to say. At this point, metal may as well be obscure folk music!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    that is such a contradiction there. Clear Channel owns the billboards. They own the radio stations that play all of those artists. I guess it's not a contradiction on Clear Channels part. They are all about getting money, but whatever group paid for those billboard ads was actually funding the major radio corporation that is supplying this trash to us.

Yeah, that irony is RICH.

But you know what? I'm not mad at the signs. The more controversy, the more likely people will start noticing and thinking about this shit. Censorship isn't an effective way to change the state of music but media literacy is a good start and this making the news is a step in that direction.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

What is this, 1987?

You mean back when metal had a stonger fan base than Hip Hop?

lol. Hi Cosmo.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    beeyatchin'

Who says this?

beeyatchin'

Who says this?

"Shala Esquire of the group Qualo"

None of those names make sense.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    "An Intelligent Query: Can I get JUST ONE?[/b]

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 10) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes BUSH and the American Establishment for COMMITTING, not just perpetuating, violence against ALL the human families of the earth?

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 9) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes the racially biased "drug war" incarcerates African American youth at much higher rates than their white counterparts and gives them more time for committing the same crimes?

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 8) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes the WEALTHY white-male supremacist who run the "music industry" and controls the propagation of destructive images? Targeting rappers is NOT targeting the "music industry!" Rappers are laborers in the industry of music; they manufacture the products that their company demands of them. Rappers are like models in a cigarette advertisement that most often don't even smoke cigarettes, but for want of work, they'll promote the harmful tobacco products!

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 7) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes black "pastors" who sell their flock to politicians who DO NOT represent the interest of the Black Community?

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 6) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes the CIA/Reagan-Bush administrations deliberate flooding of the Black Community with cocaine from Central/South America to finance a covert war in Nicaragua?

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 5) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that demands reparations for this Genocidal crime against humanity?

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 4) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes the inadequate education in our communities that has left a substantial amount of black youth unable to read on a fourth grade level after 12 years of school. Inefficient administrators and superintendents. Not to mention horrible teachers who can not be fired?

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 3) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes Big Time black media moguls like Kathy Hughes, Bob Johnson, and the black woman who presides as president of BET for their participation in the dissemination, propagation and perpetuation of negative images that "degrade women" and "perpetuate violence."

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 2) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes the lack of financial transparency in the black churches in America who fleece their poor urban and middle-class black families of tithes and offerings that never find their way back into the community to aid the very people the church is set up to support?

Can I get just ONE billboard (just 1) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes the rich white-male supremacist patriarchy in which we are embedded for its shaping and maintaining of anti-black behavior in all of its life sustaining institutions be they private or public?

JUST ONE!

Wise Intelligent
    a href="http://www.myspace.com/wiseintelligent
    "">www.myspace.com/wiseintelligent[/i]"

• Options

anyone seen this?

I got 100 says Joey Crack stenciled his own name on there.

I guess he could just pay for ONE himself, no?

Saying.

This has to be one of the weakest defenses I've ever heard:

"Rappers are like models in a cigarette advertisement that most often don't even smoke cigarettes, but for want of work, they'll promote the harmful tobacco products!"

Not that I disagree with the underlying argument that the record industry is as - if not more - culpable but come on now.

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 10) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes BUSH and the American Establishment for COMMITTING, not just perpetuating, violence against ALL the human families of the earth?

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 9) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes the racially biased "drug war" incarcerates African American youth at much higher rates than their white counterparts and gives them more time for committing the same crimes?

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 8) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes the WEALTHY white-male supremacist who run the "music industry" and controls the propagation of destructive images? Targeting rappers is NOT targeting the "music industry!" Rappers are laborers in the industry of music; they manufacture the products that their company demands of them. Rappers are like models in a cigarette advertisement that most often don't even smoke cigarettes, but for want of work, they'll promote the harmful tobacco products!

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 7) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes black "pastors" who sell their flock to politicians who DO NOT represent the interest of the Black Community?

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 6) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes the CIA/Reagan-Bush administrations deliberate flooding of the Black Community with cocaine from Central/South America to finance a covert war in Nicaragua?

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 5) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that demands reparations for this Genocidal crime against humanity?

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 4) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes the inadequate education in our communities that has left a substantial amount of black youth unable to read on a fourth grade level after 12 years of school. Inefficient administrators and superintendents. Not to mention horrible teachers who can not be fired?

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 3) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes Big Time black media moguls like Kathy Hughes, Bob Johnson, and the black woman who presides as president of BET for their participation in the dissemination, propagation and perpetuation of negative images that "degrade women" and "perpetuate violence."

Can I get just ONE billboard (not 2) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes the lack of financial transparency in the black churches in America who fleece their poor urban and middle-class black families of tithes and offerings that never find their way back into the community to aid the very people the church is set up to support?

Can I get just ONE billboard (just 1) paid for by the black church of Southside Chicago that criticizes the rich white-male supremacist patriarchy in which we are embedded for its shaping and maintaining of anti-black behavior in all of its life sustaining institutions be they private or public?

JUST ONE!

Wise Intelligent

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I guess he could just pay for ONE himself, no?

Rap Snacks Yaper.

This has to be one of the weakest defenses I've ever heard:

"Rappers are like models in a cigarette advertisement that most often don't even smoke cigarettes, but for want of work, they'll promote the harmful tobacco products!"

Agreed.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

JUST ONE!

Wise Intelligent

BEST MYSPACE BULLETIN POSTER ALIVE!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

DISCONNECTED FROM TREE-LINED SUBURBAN SKREETZ

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Brilliant

This helps the game.