Beat Battle in H-Town last night

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Damn, I wish I coulda made this one. And thank you to Matt Sonzala for providing these photos...Some of my favorite producers anywhere, Salih and Tomar Williams of Carnival Beats, Vitamin D and the Strut's very own Jake One...That's Wordsayer of Source of Labor, ain't it?Oh shit, Crazy C of old school Houston group Scientist, "my life is the hood, the hood is my life"...What y'all know about Cozmos of another old school Houston group Seeds of Soul?How many of y'all have bought records at ARC from this dude, Carlos aka DJ Styles of the Odd Squad and DJ Premier's wedding party?Whatsup, Mic da Madman of K-Otix?Symbolic One aka S1 of Strange Fruit Project...The Are aka Roc Smoov aka Russel Gonzalez ultimately won the Beat Battle. Why in the world I didn't drive the measley 2.5 hours to attend this, I will never know. It's so great to see people from 10-15 years ago still making the rounds like this. Thank you Seattle folks and of course Matt for making this happen.

Comments

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    congrats R*ssell.

• i went to support my friend russel.
    maaaaaaaaan last night went hard i gotta tell you.
    not only did the best man win last night, but the most humble cat outta the whole bunch.
    most everybody else in the battle needed some kind of flair to help them out. some wore iced out grills, some threw dollars, some got in front of the tables and pretended to be superman and most wore stunna shades. a few even looked like jersey gotti boys lol. id say about 3 of them just straight up sucked, this tag team called the inkrediblz comes to main. one dude named ryu had better scott storch beats than scott storch. it was just great to see THAT REAL SCHITT come out on top. if you were there you couldnt deny how dope russel's beats were. i saw jake one and introduced myself right before the final battle between russ and s1. he said something like it was cool that both were goin to the finals, i was like "NO we want THE ARE to win this mother!!!"

S1 was pretty good too, i was impressed with him having never really heard him before. this other guy whose name im gonna butcher, dasiatic was pretty good as well.

everybody else was jacking somebody else's style.

many thanks to jake one and vitamin d for making it happen.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

The Are aka Roc Smoov aka Russel Gonzalez ultimately won the Beat Battle.
    Didn't he use to be K-Otix producer?

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

yes, but that's not him pictured there.

myspace.com/theare1

the most recent thing i heard from him was his "MANIPULATED MARAUDERS" beat tape that features re-freaked versions of breaks used on a tribe called quest's "midnight marauders"

• The Are aka Roc Smoov aka Russel Gonzalez ultimately won the Beat Battle.

the pic is of S1, but yes russel was the producer of k-otix.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    i went to support my friend russel.
    not only did the best man win last night, but the most humble cat outta the whole bunch.
    most everybody else in the battle needed some kind of flair to help them out. some wore iced out grills, some threw dollars, some got in front of the tables and pretended to be superman and most wore stunna shades. a few even looked like jersey gotti boys lol. id say about 3 of them just straight up sucked, this tag team called the inkrediblz comes to main. one dude named ryu had better scott storch beats than scott storch. it was just great to see THAT REAL SCHITT come out on top. if you were there you couldnt deny how dope russel's beats were. i saw jake one and introduced myself right before the final battle between russ and s1. he said something like it was cool that both were goin to the finals, i was like "NO we want THE ARE to win this mother!!!"

S1 was pretty good too, i was impressed with him having never really heard him before. this other guy whose name im gonna butcher, dasiatic was pretty good as well.

This shit was hella fun. Much love to everybody I got to hang out with last couple of days. Even got some dope raer cd's and records from the big homie Cypha (does he post on here?). The crowd suprised me with their lack of love for the typical "southern" sounding producers. Lots of Houston legends in the house. I even kicked it with Oran "Juice" Jones!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I even kicked it with Oran "Juice" Jones!

• i went to support my friend russel.

This shit was hella fun. Much love to everybody I got to hang out with last couple of days. Even got some dope raer cd's and records from the big homie Cypha (does he post on here?). The crowd suprised me with their lack of love for the typical "southern" sounding producers. Lots of Houston legends in the house. I even kicked it with Oran "Juice" Jones!
    cipher posted her a couple of times under the name seal johnson, i like to consider ciph to be the houston hiphop historian. he knows it all. he has more records than anyone else i know.

man pretty much everybody who is anybody in houston was there last night. shit was epic. seeing oran juice there was crazy.

to be honest my head is still spinning from last night. i kinda want to go to seattle and see it thru to the end.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Even got some dope raer cd's and records from the big homie Cypha (does he post on here).

no, but i have a feeling he'd hate it.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

yes, but that's not him pictured there.

myspace.com/theare1

the most recent thing i heard from him was his "MANIPULATED MARAUDERS" beat tape that features re-freaked versions of breaks used on a tribe called quest's "midnight marauders"

PLAESE TO POST