If it ain't trigger-happy cops or blue vs. red...

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
it's black versus brown. I dunno what they've been putting in the water down here in Austin as of late...it hasn't even hit 100 degrees yet this summer...but shit seems to be spiralling out of control. A couple of weeks ago, yet another APD officer shot and killed yet another local man of color. http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=6605660Then last weekend, local rappers Ryno and Slim Gutta were performing at a club on 6th Street and after some dumbass gang members took issue with one of the pair wearing a blue shirt and the other wearing a red shirt, a mini-riot ensued. As a result, my dude Ryno is currently sitting in jail on a parole violation and dammit if he didn't miss the birth of his second child the other day. God bless his family for they don't deserve this shit in the slightest. Incidentally, none of the instigators were arrested.Ryno and Slim Gutta:And then just 2 nights ago after the big Juneteenth parade, a dude driving into a nearby apartment complex accidentally hit a 3-year old girl. Fortunately she didn't suffer any serious injuries. But unfortunately an angry mob proceeded to beat the passenger of that vehicle to death. http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=6685739&nav=0s3d6fQJWho knows what the hell is going to happen next within this highly volatile environment. Even at the Juneteenth parade itself, it seemed like normally civil folks were ready to pounce on any given cop at any given time. My wife saw a cop on a motorcycle almost hit a little girl and shit came really close to jumping off right then and there...and I'm talking in a really bad way. I don't even know how to conclude this post. Throw in that our good friend (and singer) Rochelle is in the hospital with a serious, yet completely unexpected condition while her son sits at home worrying about her and shit is definitely weighing heavy on the heart. Any prayers that you can offer up for these families and the city of Austin at large would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Jeez man. I didn't know about the near-riot. Sheltered.

I heard about that mob shit though and it's depressing as fuck. My homie has been saying for a minute now the air ain't right in Austin.......

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    RIP Jesse Lee Owens
    RIP Daniel Rocha
    RIP Kevin Brown

The Feds were already investigating APD for racism and use of excessive force.

This dirty cop Olsen has already been reprimanded for slamming a black man's face into the concrete on 6th Street a few years back.

When Midtown Live caught fire in my hood a couple of years back, not only did it take waaaaay too long for firefighters to show up even though a station is less than half a mile down the street, but cops were caught on tape saying to dispatchers things like "burn, baby, burn" and "if they need some gasoline to throw on the fire, I've got it".

Cops and the City have been trying to close Chester's any way they know how.

And to bolster that reality, check out this testimony:

The APD are as corrupt as they come.

The APD are planning and will try closing chesters.

I speak from experience.

When I was 3 months into bringing hip-hop to the backroom,I had a show with BUN-B there.

The next morning my father was opening the club,3 uniformed officers came with 2 suited officers,in an unmarked.

He told my father this.

"APD will not let a club that caters to hip-hop go on,we know this club has been a monument to the rock community in austin,we dont mind if you have headbangers out here beating the shit out of each other all night,but we will not allow you to have a sanctuary for these NIGGERS (oh yes he said it more than i wish to type),we will be out here across the street ever sunday pulling over every drunk that leaves until we pull you fucking liquor license,we dont give a fuck,test me ill make something up today and pull your fucking liquor license,because I dont give a fuck,this shit wont happen in my city,this boat is on my shit list,and your the fucking captain,you had never had your license questioned in 30 years of this place open,that will change"

of course when me and my father talked about it that night,he said,"nobody has ever shook me down before and im not about to start letting them"

of course they were all hollow threats,but some do get it more than others,I can imagine what happens to a club that doesnt do metal on every other night of the week.

I forget the name of it right now, but there was a black late-night club on Webberville that mysteriously burned down last year. Same shit happened to Bert's Barbeque earlier this year.

Add all of this shit up, and I've only scratched the surface here, and we are in the midst of a serious shitstorm.

First of all R.I.P to a real cat Kevin B. Olsen been a dirty mufucka. This shit go back for years man. Every year or two right around Juneteenth these hoe ass dirty bastards kill somebody in the hood.That some sad shit. The dude runnin and he was mad he couldn't catch him. Hoe ass. I feel that them hoes got that shit in the handbook to try and control the hood.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Juneteenth riots in Milwaukee as well....

I thought this was a Texas thang??

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    At least the feds are starting to investigate the Austin Police Department and its use of force.

In 2004, the Austin American-Statesman analyzed police data from 1998 to 2003, revealing that Austin police had a track record of using more force against blacks and Hispanics than whites, in some cases by a ratio of two to one. The NAACP and Texas Civil Rights Project later submitted a formal complaint to the Justice Department, which, true to federal form, took nearly three years to respond.
    http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/06/02/2federal.html

One of the liabilities of being a cop is you can be killed by a criminal.

One of the liabilities of being a criminal is you can be killed by a cop.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Juneteenth riots in Milwaukee as well....

I thought this was a Texas thang??

Shiiit, people in Killwaukee are wilin' out!!!! Those knuckleheads pulled a man from his car, who was trying to leave mind you, and broke his eye socket and nose, and cut his lip. I'm soooooooo glad we're leaving. People get shot and killed here for sport, and don't even talk about racially-motivated police brutality. This is the mecca for redneck cops. People are actin' the fool, and to think, the summer hasn't even reached its hottest yet!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Man, that's some sad news all around. And I can't imagine the next several months of extreme heat are gonna help in any way. Hold your head, Austin.

R, Bert's BBQ burned down??? The one on MLK across from Taco Cabana? Illest Frito Pie anywhere (with chipped beef and sauce).

One of the liabilities of being a person of color is you can be killed by a cop at any given time for no good reason.

R, Bert's BBQ burned down??? The one on MLK across from Taco Cabana? Illest Frito Pie anywhere (with chipped beef and sauce).

Yes, it unfortunately did. And I just happened upon this letter to the Chronicle in today's edition:

Date Received: Wed., Jun. 20, 11:59AM
    WHAT'S THE CITY GOING TO DO ABOUT BERT'S?
    Dear Editor,
    The city of Austin was quick to award $750,000 to Las Manitas but has ignored its culpability in the destruction of Bert's Bar-B-Q. Reportedly, a surge of electricity from a repaired city transformer caused the electric box at Bert's to catch fire; then the Austin Fire Department's negligence in dispatching firefighters in a timely manner caused complete destruction. It is time for the city to step up and help Bert's to rebuild. By the way, to many in Austin, Bert's was an icon.
    Carolene Quick

Oh yeah, RIP Sophia King as well.

Was this the young lady that was shot as she was stabbing her neighbor??

Was this the young lady that was shot as she was stabbing her neighbor??

Yep, that's how the story goes. It also goes that:

1. Sophia King could have been stopped by hand rather than gun.

2. APD at the time had not put in place a very good set of procedures nor resources for handling mentally disturbed persons in critical situations.

3. None of the 3 police cars on hand had trauma kits that could have helped her survive the shooting.

4. Police officers disrespected the body of King not only by making insensitive comments that were readily heard by bystanders but by leaving her body uncovered on the project courtyard for hours on end despite repeated calls from her neighbors to cover her.

Sophia King was an extremely troubled individual who at least needed further time in the State Hospital if not in an actual jail.

She did not deserve to be killed in such a cold-hearted manner.

Fucking amazing.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

i wonder who will accept blame for...you know...the murder.

I'm pretty sure it will come out that it was white cops....

And I'm betting they voted for Bush.

At least you'll get a discount on gasoline as you not-so-sarcastically fry in hell.

At least you'll get a discount on gasoline as you not-so-sarcastically fry in hell.

Since you have so accurately forseen my future would you mind praying for my soul when you're at church this Sunday.

• i wonder who will accept blame for...you know...the murder.

Since you have so accurately forseen my future would you mind praying for my soul when you're at church this Sunday.

Man, I didn't really understand that comment either, Rock. The cops are f*cked down here man. It's no joke.

A juicy rumor floating through the hoods of East Austin..

yall dont understand da whole story....it wasnt jus any 3 year old lil boy dat he hit....dat was a jose lil boy dat he hit...dem jose boyz is crazy and got niggaz dat ride hard for da set....but da story i got was dat a certain sumone (i aint gone say his name outta respect, but jus kno he does post on dis board) slid da mescan dude...laid him out on da ground...den da dude dat was in da car ran ova da mescan dude tryin to get away...they tryin to say da crowd killed him when really it was his potna dat was drivin....but now da laws is lookin for dat certain sumone...supposedly he wanted for manslaughter....shouldnt be too hard to find tho...erebody kno where to find da nigga....

A response to that rumor (sorta)...

LOL @ this story...well from someone that saw everything I'll explain. Touched on it on Papa board but like to hear it hear it go. I saw what happen to the dude on Juneteenth...funny though since it's city presents Juneteenth they taking up for the niggas now...shit happen right across from Anderson...ACC now...he got on his knees like he took his last gasp of air...then fell back I don't know but they wouldn't let nobody go help him...unmarked police car pulled up he just got out and looked didn't do shit...response time was horrible News tombout 55 seconds...shit I don't know station name was on CBS I know that...then next segment they didn't mention that...shit took them a good hour to get there...honestly I think he would have had a chance to survive if he got some medical attention from anybody a lil sooner...sure there was traffic but this was a weekday Juneteenth very mild considering the past few except for last year too...hell Oak Springs wasn't blocked off...12th wasn't...they could have got to him only one part was blocked off obviously where all the people were but who knows...I was parked right across from Austin Can and hell Rosewood/Oak Springs and 12th was travelable even when I came to pick up my fam from the murder scene wouldn't let nobody go I crepted away with the young schoolers...that's my aunt on the 911 call on the news...they said it's made national news but who knows it be on Texas Cable News...all fine and dandy not trying to tie it into Juneteenth but honestly if there wasn't no Juneteenth that man would still be alive...ain't no black/mescan thing either cuz I saw a mescan or two sprinkled in jumpin on the man he was just tryin to take up for his friend...lol I like how Booker T are apts now/terraces...shit still the projects to me....sad though very sad unnecessary...and it was only witnessed by a few folks bit darkish at first I thought they had hit a little girl but still you need to be watching your kids wasn't like they bolted and ran the little boy down...looked like a Ford Focus red like dude had hopped on the hood of the car trying to get away.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

yall dont understand da whole story....it wasnt jus any 3 year old lil boy dat he hit....dat was a jose lil boy dat he hit...dem jose boyz is crazy and got niggaz dat ride hard for da set....but da story i got was dat a certain sumone (i aint gone say his name outta respect, but jus kno he does post on dis board) slid da mescan dude...laid him out on da ground...den da dude dat was in da car ran ova da mescan dude tryin to get away...they tryin to say da crowd killed him when really it was his potna dat was drivin....but now da laws is lookin for dat certain sumone...supposedly he wanted for manslaughter....shouldnt be too hard to find tho...erebody kno where to find da nigga....

I've entered this as evidence into my congressional appeal establishing reading / writing competency tests as a prerequisite for internet access.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I've entered this as evidence into my congressional appeal establishing reading / writing competency tests as a prerequisite for internet access.

You sound Mescan.

http://www.star-telegram.com/state_news/story/145414.html

Details emerge in beating death
    By LIZ AUSTIN PETERSON
    The Associated Press

DAVID RIVAS MORALES AUSTIN -- A woman who called 911 to report the brutal beating of a man in a housing complex parking lot struggled to get the dispatcher to understand her location and described the scene as a gang fight involving people celebrating Juneteenth at a nearby park, according to audio files released by the city Thursday.

The call and several radio transmissions between dispatchers and the ambulance crew raised even more questions about the assault, which police blame on three or four men.

Although police insisted that there wasn't much of a crowd around the Booker T. Washington Terraces complex Tuesday night, when David Rivas Morales was assaulted after a car hit a child, the unidentified 911 caller said that the street was blocked and that she couldn't leave a parking lot across the way.

"It's really congested but the guy's bleeding from the head pretty bad, if you guys could just mow everybody down to get it through," a police dispatcher told an emergency medical services dispatcher.

At a news conference Thursday, Austin officials backed off their initial descriptions of a mob beating Morales to death. They also minimized any connection between the beating and the nearby city-sponsored festival celebrating Juneteenth, which commemorates Texas slaves getting the word that they had been freed.

Fewer than two dozen people, not hundreds, saw the attack, the officials said, and police were wrong Wednesday when they said up to 20 people may have participated in the assault. They said the crowd grew when people were drawn to see what the commotion was about.

"We're looking for three or four heinous criminals," Assistant Police Chief David Carter said. "I want to bring them to justice."

Police said the attack was not gang-related.

Authorities also released new details about the events leading up to the beating, saying the car's driver had just dropped off Morales at his sister's town house when he hit 2-year-old Michael Hosea Jr., who was not seriously hurt. Three or four men confronted the driver, and Morales, 40, went to help him, Carter said.

The driver told police that he drove away before the beating began and didn't know that his friend had been hurt, Carter added.[/b]

Danny Davis of OntheLine Records has got to be the most unlucky dude going. Right up front, I should say that it's an intentional function of his label to draw talented Austin rappers from a life of street crime to legitimate careers in the music business. Ryno, who put out an incredible album last year called They Call Me No, is fortunately going to see the light of day really soon off of his recent parole violation.

But the other day, only weeks before OntheLine releases its next album project from Slim Gutta, APD responds to some sort of noise complaint and proceeds to kick in the OntheLine studio door, only to arrest Gutta for an old outstanding warrant from Lockhart, TX as well as Danny's brother for possession of a personal lil bit of green and white. In other words, fuck a snitch, fuck the overzealousness of APD, and fuck computers that now inform cops of long-lost warrants from other counties.

Danny was just about to host his first big concert event and thankfully this latest shake-down hasn't kept him from proceeding as planned.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    fuck computers

wow.