Undisputed Truth appreciation post

ishnock_baptisteishnock_baptiste 90 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
One of Norman Whitfield's many creations...."Sandman" is a classic joint, very smooth, and the baseline is butter. And everybody knows 'smiling faces" , but my favorite joint by them is "showtime", the long version ( get it in your life if you dont have it), especially when it breaks down.And Im sure everybody knows the famous " I can feel it"(Im losing you) voice that dr. dre sampled for the song that was on the deep cover soundtrack

Comments

• Every lp they did has something to offer, i prefer the s/t 1971 it contains imo the sickest cover doin Ball of Confusion, coming up right behind it would be temptations & edwin starr!!!

• Every lp they did has something to offer, i prefer the s/t 1971 it contains imo the sickest cover doin Ball of Confusion, coming up right behind it would be temptations & edwin starr!!!

that baseline intro is sickness...man I love them

• who is this guy?? he looks to have some heavy crates behind him....

• autoauto 198 Posts

picked this one up a couple weeks ago and i am definitely feelin it. havent even heard any of their other ones and didnt even know they existed till i picked this up.

• who is this guy?? he looks to have some heavy crates behind him....

wow that turntable is serious busniess, one of those old but new joints ( tt created in this time, but with a vintage look)

He knows his shit about Norman which is good...and his collection looks serious...Im like 500-600 records deep ( I keep a careful count on my shit...I cant afford to get out of control with record collecting)...but that dude looks like he has about 4000 records.

dope footage.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I only have them on 45 but they seem to do a lot of great versions of other motown artist's songs. 45s like 'Just My Imagination', 'Papa Was A Rolling Stone', 'What's Going On' & 'Ball Of Confusion' are real nice. Does anyone mess with their post Gordy stuff on Warner Bros? I picked up the 'You & Me = Love' 45 a few weeks ago & it was not as bad as I feared.

• picked this one up a couple weeks ago and i am definitely feelin it. havent even heard any of their other ones and didnt even know they existed till i picked this up.

OMG ..IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THAT ...is the record in good condition??...talk to me..lol

Dude, I saw that album a long time ago at dusty grooves in chicago, but I didnt like the condition of it.

• autoauto 198 Posts

picked this one up a couple weeks ago and i am definitely feelin it. havent even heard any of their other ones and didnt even know they existed till i picked this up.

OMG ..IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THAT ...is the record in good condition??...talk to me..lol

Dude, I saw that album a long time ago at dusty grooves in chicago, but I didnt like the condition of it.
    ya the condition isnt great. it kind of has a bowl warp to it so side two plays with a hissy crackle in the quiet parts. no skips though and i'm happy with it. Any idea on how much this goes for?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

ya the condition isnt great. it kind of has a bowl warp to it so side two plays with a hissy crackle in the quiet parts. no skips though and i'm happy with it. Any idea on how much this goes for?
    Clean or in the condition you stated?

• picked this one up a couple weeks ago and i am definitely feelin it. havent even heard any of their other ones and didnt even know they existed till i picked this up.

See that is the problem with that particular record, you can never find it in good condition...

But sense UT never had any huge commercial success, Im sure some of there shit in good condition could go for 20.00-40.00 dollars, especially that particular album..or even more ....ask around

• jonblackjonblack 55 Posts
    This is still one of my favourites, a couple of great twisted funk / disco'y tracks.

• I've got the first three lps mint, the track i posted was from my own... but i don't think any of them sell for over $30 tops. Some of the 12" singles might go a bit higher.

• This is still one of my favourites, a couple of great twisted funk / disco'y tracks.

I think they are top ten in sickest album covers ...they had some dope ass album covers.

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts

See that is the problem with that particular record, you can never find it in good condition...

But sense UT never had any huge commercial success, Im sure some of there shit in good condition could go for 20.00-40.00 dollars, especially that particular album..or even more ....ask around

I played at a house party about 10 years ago. Took this LP, which i love,
    and got home to find the record was not in the cover.
    Rang the guy whose party it was, told him what happened, he said
    record wasn't there. Was an almost mint copy too, have not
    been able to replace it since. Still got the empty sleeve at home.
    Just to reiterate.... F*#K I HATE THAT.

On a brighter note... I really like their cut of California Soul.

Undisputed Truth- California Soul

man ,they stole your shit....a mint condition one?...wow...Im sure you could have gotten 30 or 40 for that...that record is hard to find in good condition.

When I dj, I never stray away from case ...fuck that. I purposely put 6 or 7 garbage ass records in front of my case, so people think I got a crate of bullshit

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    who is this guy?? he looks to have some heavy crates behind him....

Is this the guy that does all the Motown shorts on YouTube?

I was randomly searching one night through YouTube and found all these short videos done by the same guy of Motown 45s. He gave the history of the group and/or song and then played it. Same guy?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

man ,they stole your shit....a mint condition one?...wow...Im sure you could have gotten 30 or 40 for that...that record is hard to find in good condition.

This record was the first Undisputed Truth album I picked up, must've been about 7 or 8 years ago.. I was a total record newbie working at Big B's in Las Vegas and saw this album with 3 people stsanding with an unhappy look all sporting soem mean afro's. It screamed "buy me". I played the first track over the store sysyem and the owner told me he thought the sond was hokey. I paid him no mind and plunked down the 2.99 or so he priced it at and never regreted it.

It took me a long time to be willing to take a chance on thier later material, I expected bad funk (fonk) music. Was very pleasently surprised with how wrong I was when I took my eventual first listen.

Norman Whitfield is such an under-appreciated genius

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Dude tell us again how hard this is to find mint.

• man ,they stole your shit....a mint condition one?...wow...Im sure you could have gotten 30 or 40 for that...that record is hard to find in good condition.

Dude tell us again how hard this is to find mint.

lol...no , but on the real..I just have never found that shit clean. Im sure there out there...but its like ,damn, every time I pick it up it is either warped on crackles like rice crispys.

"Im not worthy"

• Norman Whitfield is such an under-appreciated genius

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

this duo was during the 60s/70s

had to get this one sealed just for the cover, but also one of my top norman whitfield gems

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I always did think it was interesting that like fellow Motowners the Marvellettes, the Truth had a bit of an image problem...one minute they're a one-man, two-woman vocal group (during their "Smiling Faces Sometimes" days), then they were reincarnated as a self-contained band aping P-Funk (that Higher Than High album is a neglected classic). And after they left Motown, they went back to being a vocal group for the disco era. I'm sure if you bought all their albums as they came out, the identity switch-ups must have been confusing as all hell...

But sense UT never had any huge commercial success[/b]

I wouldn't take it THAT far...they weren't Temptations big, but they weren't out-and-out obscure, either ("Smiling Faces Sometimes" was a massive hit single back in '71, and there were quite a few lesser hits after that)...maybe it's just a regional thing, but I see their albums turn up at reasonable prices. Far less than $20-40, I know that much...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Norman Whitfield is such an under-appreciated genius

I'll co-sign that, definitely. I like those super-producers that cut
    the same tracks with every artist they work with. His sessions with
    Marvin Gaye 68/69 are solid gold.

Undisputed Truth are definitely his most involved work with Motown,
    and the one that most seems like a purely studio act, although I'm
    pretty sure they did tour and probably put on a hell of a show.

I've never had to pay more than $10 for any of their albums, although
    I would for a really clean one, since they tend to have quiet passages
    on them, and beat copies can be frustrating to listen to.

"Cosmic Truth" is probably my favorite album of theirs, and probably the most
    fully realized as an actual album, giving the big rock epics of the time a run for
    their money. It includes a cover of Neil Young's "Down By the River" which
    made me sweat just reading it on the back cover in the record store, and the
    closing version of "(I Know)I'm Losing You" is a masterpiece of stoner soul.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    "Poontang" off the Higher Than High LP is the greatest song about cunnilingus ever written, hands down.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "Poontang" off the Higher Than High LP is the greatest song about cunnilingus ever written, hands down.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I really dig the one girl who can't sing very well.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I purposely put 1 or 2 garbage ass records in front of my case, so people think I got a crate of bullshit

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Great record. I'll sell my NM copy for $30 or $40 however.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I think you could get another for about $10--no reason to spend a decade pining over it.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

I think you could get another for about $10--no reason to spend a decade pining over it.

Dude, but mint, dude thats like a $30-$40 mint record. Only mint though, if its like you know near mint its like a $10 record. God help me find a mint copy of this record. Please.

b/w how you gona just brush off dudes loss...Never Forget

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    "Cosmic Truth" is probably my favorite album of theirs, and probably the mostfully realized as an actual album, giving the big rock epics of the time a run for their money. It includes a cover of Neil Young's "Down By the River" which
    made me sweat just reading it on the back cover in the record store, and the
    closing version of "(I Know)I'm Losing You" is a masterpiece of stoner soul.

I have a double of this. If anyone needs it. PM and it's yours for the price of shipping.

gone. damn that was fast. lol.