Has anyone on here sold drum samples ?

ishnock_baptisteishnock_baptiste 90 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Im thinking about selling my wave library ( which consists of kick drums, snares, horn samples, percussions, pianos, vibes, etc ...my library is about 5000 strong), because I need some extra dough to pick up an allen and heath mixing board. I was going to break it up according: 10.99 - for a pack of drum samples25.99- for a pack of drum samples/percussions and vibes50.00- for the whole kit

Comments

• jonblackjonblack 55 Posts
    Recorded yourself?
    Single shots from breaks?
    Commercial sample packs?
    etc.

I've kinda thought of doing the same thing myself,
    and have in the past made up some quite comprehensive breaks and samples packs and given them to guys who for whatever reason didnt have access to a lot of stuff.

If it's gonna save someone digging / recording / time, i assume there will be someone willing to pay?
    If its full of quality stuff of course, which I assume it is.

legalities etc....no idea

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    no ones gonna buy that shit. just post it up for free. mabye ill hit you with some kits in return,. I dont need all your little piano "stabs" either.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    this is a great scheme if you can keep it on the low while working at sam ash/guitar center, because it depends on a steady stream of impressionable little dudes who want to "make beats, yo". Unless you can come up with another way to find trusting clientel, i dont see it panning out....

• Recorded yourself?
    Single shots from breaks?
    Commercial sample packs?
    etc.

I've kinda thought of doing the same thing myself,
    and have in the past made up some quite comprehensive breaks and samples packs and given them to guys who for whatever reason didnt have access to a lot of stuff.

If it's gonna save someone digging / recording / time, i assume there will be someone willing to pay?
    If its full of quality stuff of course, which I assume it is.

legalities etc....no idea

They're hits, so no legal issues would come about. ..not off of hits. I put some of them together myself, plus I got some dope fx stuff.

To me, it is a pretty cool way to make some xtras dough....because if reason can sell shitty as refills for 80 dollars. I could at least make 50 dollars off of some good shit.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    yeah but reason has a large name and rep and people know you how?
    Just saying...

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Man if I sold drums samples I'd be rich.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    ...steady stream of impressionable little dudes who want to "make beats, yo"...

Word Up!

• ...steady stream of impressionable little dudes who want to "make beats, yo"...

Word Up!

First off,

Im 34, and I heve been in the dj game and connected with a lot underground djs for a minute

2, I have a lot of cuts/chops/etc, that I created and edited myself, so I was wonder if anyone here has ever went that route, because I know people that have...just looking for feedback, bro

leave the snark at home.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Did you read my post? I'm sure your shit is better than average dude, at least. My point was that most dudes who also have their shit together will not pay for some cuts and sounds you made, so your market is people who are just starting, ie younger/dumber people who come into stores talking dumb shit. Thats it, if I wanted to be snarky, id just say its a dumb idea. I was providing business advice.

• this is a great scheme if you can keep it on the low while working at sam ash/guitar center, because it depends on a steady stream of impressionable little dudes who want to "make beats, yo". Unless you can come up with another way to find trusting clientel, i dont see it panning out....

yeah, that is what I was thinking...I took a whole vernon burch album and chopped a lot of drums from it ( the grit sound is dope,), and I made a library for it, so Im thinking about selling it.

I got some dope ass dual snare sounds as well that I think some cats might like....Im going to go the craigslist route and see what happens...

peace

• Did you read my post? I'm sure your shit is better than average dude, at least. My point was that most dudes who also have their shit together will not pay for some cuts and sounds you made, so your market is people who are just starting, ie younger/dumber people who come into stores talking dumb shit. Thats it, if I wanted to be snarky, id just say its a dumb idea. I was providing business advice.

My bad, I misinterpeted....that was some good advice....peace,unlike the middle east

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    c'mon man, thats kinda toy if you ask me. lets just swap some drums instead! you got heat?

• people acting like this is a new idea here.. about 100 people eat off ebay selling drum kits that you can download with a link, or get them mailed out.... they simply state in the auction that your NOT paying for music, your paying for some stickers,shipping, ect ect or whatever.

here is one of many goons doing this

Hip Hop Drum kit samples 10,000(fruity loops,akai mpc,c

You're bidding on over 10,000 wav drum kit samples,sound effects, and Hip hop drum kits for use in any music software or hardware sequencers and samplers (Fruity Loops, Cakewalk, Akai Mpc, Cubase etc...). Bidding starts at only $.98. Get Snares, Kicks,Bass,Percussions,and Many more drum kits from Hip Hop, Rock ,R&B, Techno and House Genres. Paypal is Preferred but if pating buy money order you must notify me within 3 days of winning bid. Thanks

p.s. i hate the bitchs who try and sell radio recorded shows on ebay! you'll get yours in the end.

you can produce just like dr. dre and for only pennies on the dollar!!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Dr-Dre-Drum-Kits-NNX...1QQcmdZViewItem

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

i hate that kind of ebay shit. same with the guys selling a moog that Dre or whoever else also used and only because of exactly THIS moog they`re rich now.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    au contraie
    if dude is serious,has minty fresh hits that are all normalized in wav/aiff/akai/rex format etc and are correctly,labeled,velocity shifted,tuned,truncated
    alphabatized,loud,crisp,clear,catalouged,and IF they sound unique , and if he has great marketing and graphics to go with the packages he MIGHT sell some
    [but it can't be some ass comp with 9,000 examples of ubb think,apache,amen,scorpio,roachclip and come dancing chopped up again]

or dude could shop it to a name brand sample cd company who might pick it up for they own brand if it's exceptionally hot/different/twisted enough

although these days the category is well tosspot saturated and one can find a lot of drums/sounds for free on the internets.....
    people are still and always will be lazy and many pros buy sample cds blind as new ones come out just to stack up on "new sounds"

but selling shit on ebay/craig's list is glame [gay+lame]

on the real
    I'm talking bout dude buying an add in the back of keyboard,remix,scratch,eq,mix,future music,computer music,sound on sound AND selling wholesale direct to guitar center/sam'ass/musician's friend etc,etc
    Most importantly doin' it with a real plush ass marketing plan ,branding a name -and a reputation for consistency and quaility
    then it might be a proper tool for tools to use

• people acting like this is a new idea here.. about 100 people eat off ebay selling drum kits that you can download with a link, or get them mailed out.... they simply state in the auction that your NOT paying for music, your paying for some stickers,shipping, ect ect or whatever.

here is one of many goons doing this

Hip Hop Drum kit samples 10,000(fruity loops,akai mpc,c

You're bidding on over 10,000 wav drum kit samples,sound effects, and Hip hop drum kits for use in any music software or hardware sequencers and samplers (Fruity Loops, Cakewalk, Akai Mpc, Cubase etc...). Bidding starts at only $.98. Get Snares, Kicks,Bass,Percussions,and Many more drum kits from Hip Hop, Rock ,R&B, Techno and House Genres. Paypal is Preferred but if pating buy money order you must notify me within 3 days of winning bid. Thanks

p.s. i hate the bitchs who try and sell radio recorded shows on ebay! you'll get yours in the end.

wow, I wouldnt come with bullshit like that...that's horrible...

Im talking about solid kits with great sounds, shit that I took the time to edit....

This is why Im like if cats are making a killing off of selling wack ass drum kits....

For instance, I know cats that dont know how to digg or cop a breakbeat record, but they can produce their asses off ....I would cater to those cats. Cats that could take hits and chops and do ill shit with them.