Chakachas

Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Does anyone have any discographical information for any of the Chakachas pre-Jungle Fever LPs and 45s? Also, any discographical info on El Chicles releases would be appreciated as well.

Comments

• I'd like to know what albums did they back Nico Gomez on during the 60s??? Love that benatar belgium funk!

Not sure if they've got an offical discography listed online, i always liked the La La La album followed up by playing cuts from james last's voodoo party.

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    Hi

It's a pretty tough job to put together a discography of El Chicles stuff, since the guys used lots of different names, there weren't always the same players involved within the sessions and so on. But I once started with putting together a discography of el chicles related stuff (Jean or Roland Kluger productions, stuff from Brussels with ralph benatar, john sluszny, etc...):

El Chicles Ambiente Erotico Ebano Italy 1977
    El Chicles La La La Blue Elephant Belgium 1974
    El Chicles Viva Tirado Polydor South America 1974
    El Chicles The best of Selection Club 197?
    El Chicles Discotheque Explosion Palette 197?
    Brasil Tropical Sound Brasil MFP Belgium 1975
    Super Funky Discotheque Lord Funk Columbia Belgium 1972
    The Lovelets S/T Biram Belgium 1975
    Chicken Curry and his pop orchestra Stereo Discotheque MFP Belgium 197?
    SSO Tonight???s the night Gull U.K. 1976
    SSO Shine your light RKM Belgium 1976
    Black Blood Chicano Biram France 1975
    Black Blood Mandingo Biram France 1977
    Black Blood Amanda Biram France 1976
    The Chinese Fighters Kung-fu Fighting Carrere France 197?
    The Sumo???s Kung-fu Vega Belgium 1974
    Doug Lucas Niara RKM Belgium 197?
    Yamasuki le fabuleux monde de Biram France 197?
    The Chakachas S/T Blue Elephant Belgium 1972
    The Chakachas Jungle Fever Polydor 1972
    The Chakachas Tibidibang Biram France 1973
    Nico Gomez Bossa Nova Omega Holland 19??
    Nico Gomez Ritual Omega Holland 197?
    Nico Gomez Viva Merenge Margophone Greece 19??
    Nico Gomez Fiesta Brasiliana ?????? 19??
    Nico Gomez Fiesta Brasiliana 2 Omega???? 19??
    Thembi Take me back to the old Transvaal ????? ????
    RKM music library beat-action RKM UK 1980
    RKM music library happy showcase RKM UK 1980
    Plus S/T ?? 197?

These are only the lp's and actually you can add all of the Jess & James with the JJ band stuff, because Benatar and a few other guys also played on those records (and Francis Weyer and Yvan De Souter also played on the Placebo lp's and with the JJ Band). The thing is: there were only a few studio's in Brussels at the time, and they all had the same session musicians on them, so it's difficult to make a decent discography.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    The above discography is pretty thorough, here are some i have to add:

3 RCA Camden budget compilation Lp's from their 60's output on RCA (SP & EP only):

Les Chachachas Des Chakachas
    One More Dance
    Eso Es El Amour

There is also an early selftitled disco album from them from 1975 (don't remember the label). And their selftitled on Blue Elephant was issued in the states on Avco.

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    And actually, there's a remark I should make. Jean Kluger and Roland Kluger are brothers, but never actually worked together (apart from a small period in the early 60s, when they took over their fathers record company 'World Music'). Jean started his own Biram label and worked together with Daniel Vangarde and recorded Sail-Joia, Black Blood, The Yamasuki's, etcetera. Roland started RKM and produced Nico Gomez, Chicken Curry, The Chinese Fighters and SSO.

But they did use the same session musicians from time to time, because the Brussels music scene was small at the time. So actually, everybody's talking about El Chicles in general, but there are differences between the groups (I believe Ralph Benatar never worked with Jean Kluger) and labels.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    Also to be included is Alex Scorier, he was the saxophonist of the Chakachas at least during the 70's, maybe earlier even.
    His LP's on Polydor:

Cha Cha Cha A Go Go
    Sax In The Box
    Latin For Dancers

here are some sounds from the 60's upto the 70's:

Arriba La Conga (from the Eso Es El Amour LP)

Party (from the Blue Elephant LP):

St. Louis Blues (from their 1975 LP):

Alex Scorier - Ba Bi Baloo Bi Balaa (from his Latin For Dancers LP)

• I'm assuming those handful listed by nico gomez are the ones they played backup for???

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Hi

It's a pretty tough job to put together a discography of El Chicles stuff, since the guys used lots of different names, there weren't always the same players involved within the sessions and so on. But I once started with putting together a discography of el chicles related stuff (Jean or Roland Kluger productions, stuff from Brussels with ralph benatar, john sluszny, etc...):

word

yeah i have one or two Chakachas and Nico Gomez 45's from the early and mid 60's that are just straight latin (filtered thru a euro prism, obviously).. not funky even remotely... i will try and dig them up for names/labels/titles...

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

RKM music library beat-action RKM UK 1980
    RKM music library happy showcase RKM UK 1980
    RKM library "after eight" rkm 03 1980