The Beatles? Who are they? A band?

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I am embarrassed to admit this...but I have NEVER in my life listened to a Beatles album. Sure I have heard tons of songs here and there, but never just sat down and listened to a whole album. I am ashamed to admit it, but I just had to put myself on blast in a public forum. Somehow, I don't even think I own any Beatles vinyl. Anyone feel free to come to SC and slap the shit out of me..I deserve it. I think that might be a mission for me to do this week...DL a few LPs by them and give them all a good solid listen. What are the essential LPs to check out? And in what order?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Dont feel bad. I didnt grow up w/ the Beatles on my parents record player.
    My college days informed me w/ all the Beatles I needed. I still dont own an album.

I remember smokin a big joint and sittin down w/ Sgt Pepper's for the first time...............

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I have NEVER in my life listened to a Beatles album.

Silly Shit, get familiar.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Silly Shit, get familiar.

no thanks

Again, silly shit. This thread pops up every so often and everytime the same silly shit.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Personally id avoid all the albums before rubber soul. Most of the stuff from rubber soul onwards was pretty dope. Revolver & Sgt Peppers would be my reccomendations.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Check this one out. You should hear "Tomorrow Never Knows".

• 1) Revolver
    2) Rubber Soul
    3) Abbey Road
    5) Magical Mystery Tour
    6) Sgt Pepper
    7) White Album
    8) Help
    9) Hard Days Night
    10) Let It Be
    11) Beatles For Sale
    12) With The Beatles
    13) Please Please Me

In that order and proper UK releases...non of this US re-packaging bull!

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Revolver

"Tomorrow Never Knows" is very Strutter friendly.

Revolver

"Tomorrow Never Knows" is very Strutter friendly.

That's the obvious breakbeatish one.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

cosign.

• I have NEVER in my life listened to a Beatles album.

cosign.

Thats like sayin' you love Chinese food but don't care much for rice.

Im no Beatles guy, but isnt hattin on them a Last Century thing?

• the beatles are supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, one of my favs... it's all about the UK releases as said earlier don't bother with any usa pressings.

cosign.

Thats like sayin' you love Chinese food but don't care much for rice.

nope. Just never liked them. I have and had friends that love them. to me their songs are like nails on a chalkboard.

• non of this US re-packaging bull!

Plaese to explain.

non of this Little Richard[/b] re-packaging bull!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Diss the Beatles and you diss yoursleves. It's as silly as rock fans dissing James Brown.

What I don't get is that you can say you don't like the Beatles but not having listened to their albums and then claiming never to want to is just plain stupid.

Diss the Beatles and you diss yoursleves. It's as silly as rock fans dissing James Brown.

What I don't get is that you can say you don't like the Beatles but not having listened to their albums and then claiming never to want to is just plain stupid.

Sayin....

I was think 'bout puttin together a Beatles Soul R&B covers mix for myself. The fact that there so many is a testament to their art.

I can understand the hatt, but id rather listen for myself then properly hatt.

• I don't get how someone can in general "like music" but not the beatles, they did more for rock/pop culture than any other group/band/artist has ever done in the history of any other genre or musicial backing. At least I find that mind boggling imo.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    My favourites are;

Rubber Soul
    Revolver
    Sgt. Pepper
    Abbey Road

The US configurations of "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver" differ slightly from the original UK releases (personally, I think they're slightly inferior). Overall, those four albums are their most consistent and musically adventurous. There's no shortage of good stuff on all the others but, as end-to-end listens, these ones hold up the best.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

in fact all that brit pop shit[/b] gets the gas face from me.

Please to define above term.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    non of this US re-packaging bull!

Plaese to explain.

Up until "Sgt. Pepper", the US releases of Beatles albums were all noticeably different from the corresponding UK versions, even though they were often released within days of each other. US-only releases like "Beatles '65", "Something New", "Yesterday and Today", "Beatles VI" and "The Beatles Second Album" were in many cases compilations of singles, b-sides, EP cuts, alternate mixes and tracks which hadn't made it onto the US releases of UK albums.

I don't get how someone can in general "like music" but not the beatles, they did more for rock/pop culture than any other group/band/artist has ever done in the history of any other genre or musicial backing. At least I find that mind boggling imo.

I disagee w/ that.

There a many cats who grew up outside of the Beatles direct influence.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    What are the essential LPs to check out?

start with a low numbered UK press White Album or don't bother...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beatles-ULTRA-RARE-U...1QQcmdZViewItem

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    I just think of them as 4 scousers with catchy tunes. I know the songs from the cartoon show they used to have on Saturday morning (with the follow-the-bouncing-ball lyrics) but I think to comprehend what they did to the face of popular music, you needed to be a music-savvy adult around at the time it actually happended. I wasn't.

I know folks who have every nanosecond of everything they recorded, but yeah, I don't own anything. I have stuff I like to listen to more. They do have a great catalogue, but when you live close to Liverpool, it's no big deal. Perhaps the good Doctor McCoy knows what I mean?

ALTHOUGH - I am having trouble thinking of an more recent (>80s?) act that I can tell my kids "Ah, you'd have to have been around at the time to grasp the enormity of their achievement" etc. They all seem to be derivative. Maybe Prince, but then, isn't he Jimi in disguise? (or "in The Skys" - Henrix Joke!)

I hardly think you need to listen to more than some of their songs to figure out if you like it or not. For example I don't have to listen to more than a few new country songs to know I hate all of it, so listening to an album full of new country hits would be torture. I have HAD to listen to whole Beatles albums and yes to me, it was torture.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

a good place to start for the uninitiated.

• non of this US re-packaging bull!

Plaese to explain.

Up until "Sgt. Pepper", the US releases of Beatles albums were all noticeably different from the corresponding UK versions, even though they were often released within days of each other. US-only releases like "Beatles '65", "Something New", "Yesterday and Today", "Beatles VI" and "The Beatles Second Album" were in many cases compilations of singles, b-sides, EP cuts, alternate mixes and tracks which hadn't made it onto the US releases of UK albums.

US Capitol at least got the Magical Mystery Tour right when they packaged that as an LP rather than release the same format as the UK 6 track EP.

I appreciate that not everyone is into them but for me they were the first group that you listen to when checking 60's pop, which leads you off into loads of other groups. I find it strange that people can be into freakbeat, psych, etc but hate The Beatles.

• thanks for everyones input!

I purposely didnt listen to any rock or whatever from the 60s/early 70s(except Sabbath,Cooper,and shit like that) back when I was in middle and high school(when I was skating a good bit and listening to a shitload of rap and rock stuff like Sonic Youth,Butthole Surfers,Suicidal Tendencies,Slayer,etc.) I hated anything that I thought was "hippy music" as well, I couldnt stand any of the dumbfuck dorks that wore sandals and Grateful Dead and Phish Tie Dyes and shit. Funny related story about this actually..when I was in 9th grade, a senior wannabe hippy fuck threatened to beat my ass for wearing a Droors shirt because it "made fun of the Doors." Yall ex skaters probably remember the graphic they used to have where it looked just like the Doors logo but said "Droors" instead.

Anyways..because of being an anti-hippy kinda dude when I was younger, I didnt listen to a lot of (probably) good music that I want to discover now.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    non of this US re-packaging bull!

Plaese to explain.

Right. Capitol in the U.S. would intentionally leave 3-4 songs off every proper Parlophone UK Beatles album so that every third (or so) actual Beatles LP, they could combine the left-off tracks with a few singles and have an extra album to sell. Thus the LPs mentioned above, as well as Hey Jude, were not conceived as albums by the Beatles, but instead cynical compilations designed to get more $$$ out of American consumers.

Most of the American public probably rec'd those LPs as consisting of new Beatles songs, but by Hey Jude it must have become much more blatant, as Capitol was trying to pass off 1965 material as new in 1968, and the difference in songwriting and production between those two eras was presumably very noticeable.

• What are the essential LPs to check out?

start with a low numbered UK press White Album or don't bother...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beatles-ULTRA-RARE-U...1QQcmdZViewItem

Cool! Thanks for the heads up! This is why I love this place..people actually helping people. To think, if I didnt make this thread, I wouldnt even have known about that auction. Again, good looking out on that lead..I just hope I placed a high enough bid to ensure I gladly take this off record the hands of that sucker..oops, I mean seller on Ebay.