Miles Davis Quintet- Cookin'

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
i borrowed my friend's extended resolution cd ("superior audiophile quality"), and i'm listening for the first time. Still not at all familiar with his extensive catalog, but this is amazing IMHO. all of these tracks are killer.

Comments

• montymonty 420 Posts
    yes yuichi -- that's the shit

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Cookin' is Rad, but then most/all of that era Miles is Rad, ah, if you dig Cookin', you'll dig practically all of the Blue Note/Prestige/early Columbia stuff. I can't say enough good stuff about acoustic Miles, I just love it.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    word. i plan on checking that stuff out (in some format or another).

i just read in the liner notes that since he was leaving Prestige due to contract problems, they recorded 26 songs in a span of 2days. Most of 'em in one take. amazing....

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Yuichi,

Plaese to get youself the following joints ASAP, you will love them.

Relaxin' With The Miles Davis Quintet
    Workin' With The Miles Davis Quintet
    Steamin' With The Miles Davis Quintet

All recorded in 1956 with the same line up as the cookin' LP:

John Coltrane - Tenor Sax
    Red Garland - Piano
    Paul Chambers - Bass
    Philly Joe Jones - Drums

CLASSIC MATERIAL SON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should also read the following book. It will be one of the best books you have ever read....

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    that's the shit

ya, you dont here Cookin mentioned as often as it should, just killer all around.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    watup Chan,

yea I definitely need to check out the other Quintet stuff around the same time.
    That book looks interesting as well.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    What can I say? Really nice record. Overlooked I would say. High quality re-issiue by a little place in Kansas as well.