QUESTION FOR MY PROFESSIONAL GRAPHICS DUDES

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
hey... i'm getting ready to do some art for a lil' project for some folks... i'm planning on drawing this thing up on some regular ol' 8.5" X 11" paper, but they want the finished area of said artwork to be 11" X 15.7" or so for what they are using it for. as long as I scan it at like 300 dpi will it be able to be blown up to the size they want without losing anything significant? (just to be clear, the artwork is gonna be for t-shirts)excuse my ignorance on such things, but i rarely do anything the professional way... i just make it do what it do and that's it, however it comes out is however it comes out. gotta do it right this time ($$$ are involved... you know how that go)thanks in advance, foolios

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    If it's line art, you should be scanning it at 600 dpi minimum - especially if you (ugh) blow it up.

Do you have Adobe Illustrator?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    If it's line art, you should be scanning it at 600 dpi minimum - especially if you (ugh) blow it up.

Do you have Adobe Illustrator?

I might have it, i don't even know... never really used it much.

So if blowing up is ugh, what would you recommend for a project of this size? If I draw it at 11" X 15.7" i won't be able to scan it... not on my scanner anyway

help me plese

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Well, what sort of design are you doing? Is it black and white? Color? Is it an illustration or text? If it's b/w line art, and you're only blowing it up less than 2x, you should be fine as long as you scan it at 600 or higher. I've seen guys who have designs that are less than 1 inch square that scan them at 300 and try to blow them up to Tabloid size. Shit city.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Additionally - speak with the printers directly. Cut out the middleman.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Well, what sort of design are you doing? Is it black and white? Color? Is it an illustration or text? If it's b/w line art, and you're only blowing it up less than 2x, you should be fine as long as you scan it at 600 or higher. I've seen guys who have designs that are less than 1 inch square that scan them at 300 and try to blow them up to Tabloid size. Shit city.

as of now it's black and white line art... just some cartoon shit drawn with markers. some may end up being color. speaking to the printer is really since i'm not handling that part of the deal plus i dont speak japanese

i'll just try to scan it at 600 dpi... hopefully this scanner i have can even scan at that high of a res.... i have my doubts

thanks