Matos in Slate: Betty Davis is "tepid."

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think MM's critiques are all pretty fair. I would never claim that Betty made incredibly great music on the whole (even though I think she's got some really great single songs to her credit) but, as MM, notes, she's an incredibly great figure. (No pun intended).

I think he's hating on Shuggie a bit too much but personally, "Information Inspiration" is my shit. Fuck a tepid label!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    But claims that her albums belong in the first rank of the funk pantheon are deluded.

Who thinks this?

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Luck in office: Shuggie Otis is "average."

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

"Their tepid music though, is something else". Is he a Strutter?

But claims that her albums belong in the first rank of the funk pantheon are deluded.

Who thinks this?

With all the recent press, I'm willing to bet at least a few writers might have opined something like this. But I don't think many people, save Matos, have gone out of their way to note, "by the way, her music is 'just ok'."

It does feel a bit strawman though (Matos' point).

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Is he a Strutter?

I googled dude. I'm not feeling anything I've read of his. He has a link to soulsides on his blog though...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Luck in office: Suggie Otis is "average."

His blues stuff is "average." His "progressive" music (for lack of a better term) is extraordinary.

Final verdict: stay away from Here Comes Shuggie Otis (his blues album), stick with Inspiration Information and Freedom Flight and you're doing alright.

I've never heard that supersession LP he did with Al Kooper, but my hopes aren't up...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

His blues stuff is "average." His "progressive" music (for lack of a better term) is extraordinary.

Final verdict: stay away from Here Comes Shuggie Otis (his blues album), stick with Inspiration Information and Freedom Flight and you're doing alright.

I've never heard that supersession LP he did with Al Kooper, but my hopes aren't up...

his stuff with his pop, i.e. "Country Girl", "Watts Breakaway" is top shelf 45 fodder.

Who thinks this?

With all the recent press, I'm willing to bet at least a few writers might have opined something like this. But I don't think many people, save Matos, have gone out of their way to note, "by the way, her music is 'just ok'."

It does feel a bit strawman though (Matos' point).

No doubt. Like you stated earlier "Davis as a figure" w/in Funk is important. Percusor to many whose image/ideals are just as important as the music.

I dont think she needed a "traditional soul" voice to get across her ideas. As funky as Chaka Khan is Davis is still on another level of rawness IMO. And we know Chaka can sang w/ the best of em. I dont wanna turn this into Betty vs. the field.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Is he a Strutter?

I googled dude. I'm not feeling anything I've read of his. He has a link to soulsides on his blog though...

He is a clown. The main thing I remember reading by him was a meditation about being nudged back from the brink of suicide by the wonders contained with the Mo Wax Headz box set (yes, I am for real).

Also, isn't calling Davis a "second rate funk artist" a bit of a straw man? I'll admit that I haven't had those records out in years, but I always viewed her as more of a rock artist.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts

I think it's best to leave that one out of this discussion...

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Betty Davis: File Under - She's cool as hell. I want to like her, but it's just not doing it for me. Pass the Sly records please.

However, she is a true beauty:

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Let's give Michelangelo a round of applause for pointing out the obvious. Betty and Shuggie are not for him. Who cares what this guy thinks. Music Reviewers get on my nerves, pretentious college kids with a dictionary and a mouth full of shit.

- spidey

Also, isn't calling Davis a "second rate funk artist" a bit of a straw man? I'll admit that I haven't had those records out in years, but I always viewed her as more of a rock artist.

It's the Afro.

Seriously.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    "(One of the album's guitarists is also Neal Schon, who later founded the peerlessly God-awful Journey???can't win 'em all.)"

If you have to to point out that Journey is bad using two adjectives, something aint right with you.

Let's give Michelangelo a round of applause for pointing out the obvious. Betty and Shuggie are not for him. Who cares what this guy thinks. Music Reviewers get on my nerves, pretentious college kids with a dictionary and a mouth full of shit.

- spidey

You need to read more.

Just saying.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

He's a truth-speaker. The tepid must fall.

Betty Davis: File Under - She's cool as hell. I want to like her, but it's just not doing it for me. Pass the Graham Central Station records please.

I find her stuff very close to early GCS. Yeah they played on her stuff. If u did GCS - i find it in the same vein.

*laugh* STRUT DID NOT INVENT THE WORD "TEPID".

Matos is not a Strutter. He's from another world entirely...an ILXer.

Don't say I didn't warn you. Don't click on that link!

You need to read more.

Just saying.

I read plenty, but music reviewers for me are the worst. 9/10 I'm glancing at the album names and skipping the review. Rolling stone and Pitchfork are some of the worst culprits.

- spidey

You need to read more.

Just saying.

I read plenty, but music reviewers for me are the worst. 9/10 I'm glancing at the album names and skipping the review. Rolling stone and Pitchfork are some of the worst culprits.

- spidey

You named two of the worst pubs out there though.

Whatever. I'm not trying to defend my profession that heavily - criticism isn't for everyone but it's not all college kids with dictionaries.

Don't click on that link!

Haha... seriously.

his stuff with his pop, i.e. "Country Girl", "Watts Breakaway" is top shelf 45 fodder.

Yeah, that Cold Shot! album on Kent (from '69, credited to "the Johnny Otis Show") is a stone classic, but I seem to remember Here Comes... being one uninteresting blues jam after another.

You named two of the worst pubs out there though.

Whatever. I'm not trying to defend my profession that heavily - criticism isn't for everyone but it's not all college kids with dictionaries.

Sorry, don't mean to insult.

- spidey

isn't calling Davis a "second rate funk artist" a bit of a straw man? I'll admit that I haven't had those records out in years, but I always viewed her as more of a rock artist.

But then again, half of those funk acts, from George Clinton on down, were rock bands in disguise anyway, so who's to say? The Bar-Kays weren't lying when they titled their album Black Rock.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Matos is not a Strutter. He's from another world entirely...an ILXer.

Don't say I didn't warn you. Don't click on that link!

The differences are subtle.

They have:
    Most Underrated KRAUTROCK album
    http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=58172#unread

Strut has:
    "Krautrock Faves Beyond the Usual Suspects?"
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=885706&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

isn't calling Davis a "second rate funk artist" a bit of a straw man? I'll admit that I haven't had those records out in years, but I always viewed her as more of a rock artist.

But then again, half of those funk acts, from George Clinton on down, were rock bands in disguise anyway, so who's to say? The Bar-Kays weren't lying when they titled their album Black Rock.

Well, I think the word is frequently misapplied--at least if you use it to refer to a certain combination of musical characteristics. I think it's too frequently used as shorthand for a style of dress, presentation, etc.

Well, I think the word is frequently misapplied--at least if you use it to refer to a certain combination of musical characteristics. I think it's too frequently used as shorthand for a style of dress, presentation, etc.

"Stevie Wonder - Rock Revolutionary"

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Calling "Inspiration Information" tepid is crazy talk. That is one hell of an album.
    It seems to me that dude heard so much hype for Davis, Otis, etc that when he finally heard them they fell short (as most any album would after too much hype).

But who cares. It's just personal taste preference. I hate plain chocolate ice cream.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Calling "Inspiration Information" tepid is crazy talk. That is one hell of an album.
    Damn straight.