Ask me about German records... 2

HonkyFippleHonkyFipple 418 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I'm bored at work. Feel free to ask any questions about German records. I forgot to answer some of the questions in the last thread. About those obscure Krautrock releases on CD... if there were original records to them... I never asked my local dealer. Please excuse.

Comments

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    great!

A simple first question. This "free orbit" LP - the one with the eye on the cover is OG and the one with the women on the cover is the same record as a 2nd pressing, right?

• Is that Gropes new name?

I have a question. Is the Black Gorilla who did the "funky jungle" 45 a German group. Also did they do other things?

Peace,

Dress

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    name 10 German must-have lps, non- to medium-raer...

name 10 German must-have lps, holy grail to mythical raer

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    name 10 German must-have lps, non- to medium-raer...
    Also, name a couple of solid labels based in Germany.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    Did 'Soul Explusion'(sic) release any other funk 45's besides 'Barn Yard Pimp'?
    That's gotta be the best funk 45 from europe that i've heard so far.

• great!

A simple first question. This "free orbit" LP - the one with the eye on the cover is OG and the one with the women on the cover is the same record as a 2nd pressing, right?

Yes. First pressing with the eye on the cover is on Brain, the one with the lady is on MPS. There are at least two MPS pressings. The first on is the dark red label-ish. 2nd pressing on MPS is black labeled. Brain pressing is the OG.

On a sidenote:
    Dauner's Rishkas Soul on Brain is a second pressing as well. The original pressing was a private pressing also entitled Rishkas Soul, but on a totally different label. Plus, there's a 2nd volume of Rishkas Soul. Different title. Can't remember it though.

• Is that Gropes new name?

I have a question. Is the Black Gorilla who did the "funky jungle" 45 a German group. Also did they do other things?

Peace,

Dress

Hm... I have no idea. Must have been a German group. Maybe it was Asiko? Haha! I have no idea...

• name 10 German must-have lps, non- to medium-raer...

Hm... I'm not a big fan of Schlager or Pop, even if it's funky or groovy... I'll list a few records that are easy to get on eBay nowadays:

1 - Free Orbit on MPS (Herbolzheimer & Lindenberg) - around 30 USD
    2 - German Hair feat. Su Kramer (singer from the TRIP LP on Telefunken)
    3 - Uschi Br??ning's first on Amiga
    4 - Rhythm Combination & Brass - Wide Open on MPS - around 25 USD at the moment
    5 - Rhythm Combination & Brass - Waitaminute - maybe 35-40?
    6 - Okko - Sitar & Electronics on BASF - less than 50
    7 - Und on EMI
    8 - Light & Rhytmical Backgrounds on Selected Sound
    9 - Wolfgang Dauner's Oimels - not that rare - not that expensive - a MUST HAVE!!!
    10 - Can - German Rock Scene sampler

and some records I would never mention on here

I can post a better list when I'm at home. Maybe I can post another list on Saturday. But I'm really not that deep into German music. I mean records with German singing or German only musicians...

• Did 'Soul Explusion'(sic) release any other funk 45's besides 'Barn Yard Pimp'?

What's that? Never heard of it... is it nu funk?
    I' saw a Poets of Rhythm concert from 1994 on a Bavarian tv channel last weekend. At 10am in the morning! My girlfriend woke up smirking.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    Did 'Soul Explusion'(sic) release any other funk 45's besides 'Barn Yard Pimp'?

What's that? Never heard of it... is it nu funk?
    I' saw a Poets of Rhythm concert from 1994 on a Bavarian tv channel last weekend. At 10am in the morning! My girlfriend woke up smirking.

Haha, nice.
    Nahh, its most likely from the early 70's. I'll hook you up with a labelscan & soundfile when i get home. You'll dig it i reckon.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    great!

Yes. First pressing with the eye on the cover is on Brain[/b] , the one with the lady is on MPS. There are at least two MPS pressings. The first on is the dark red label-ish. 2nd pressing on MPS is black labeled. Brain pressing is the OG.

I have the issue with the eye on the cover on MPS.
    What's the deal?

Peace

• subsub 311 Posts
    Is that Gropes new name?

Peace,

Dress

do you have a soundclip of this one. couldn't find one in the net....

• great!

Yes. First pressing with the eye on the cover is on Brain[/b] , the one with the lady is on MPS. There are at least two MPS pressings. The first on is the dark red label-ish. 2nd pressing on MPS is black labeled. Brain pressing is the OG.

What's the deal?

Peace

oh, it might be on MPS then... i'm not sure. i thought it was on brain, but since you own the record, it must be on MPS

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    What's the deal?

Peace

oh, it might be on MPS then... i'm not sure. i thought it was on brain, but since you own the record, it must be on MPS
    FAKE

• teddyrossoteddyrosso 268 Posts
    Question concerning the Volker Kriegel, I found this for 1 euro at a fleamarket in Frankfurt three weeks ago, decent jazz funk with a library edge, is it RARE?

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    dont know this pressing, but i have the same album on MPS. not his best, still okay, but far from rare. would not pay mroe than 10$ for it.

• Question concerning the Volker Kriegel, I found this for 1 euro at a fleamarket in Frankfurt three weeks ago, decent jazz funk with a library edge, is it RARE?

nah... it's not rare. check out his first library on biton though. you might like it. there are some pretty bad libraries by kriegel, but the first one on biton is kinda nice (orange cover). not totally funky, but ok-ish.

Is it this one you are thinking ofF?

• Is it this one you are thinking ofF?

no. what is the track list on yours?
    his first "official" record is cool. on liberty. with a little help from my friends.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    Is it this one you are thinking ofF?

his first "official" record is cool. on liberty. with a little help from my friends.

yes but have you ever seen it for sale ? seems to be quite rare.
    i have a question regarding the "crystal jazz" pressings. i know there is a charly antolini, dauner`s "knirsch" etc.. on crystal jazz - are these pressings cheaper and easier to come by? what about the pressing quality?

this kriegel - elastic menu is tepid IMO. It??s ok for 5 bucks, but not more.

I only saw the Kriegel on liberty once and it??s Anyone has a mp3? I would really like to listen to it.

and where to find the oimels record for less than 50????

chrystal jazz is a reissue edition from 79/80. it includes many titles from the saba/mps catalogue that were not reissued by the mps/metronome (black label) distribution. pressings are not as good as ususal mps pressings/the og title.
    They are not as raer/in-demand as the OGs either and they are (should be) much cheaper.

another question:

selected sound - what??s good?

someone told me about a Teupen LP with serious heat and I know about a couple of Kovac and Weiss releases as well. Pretty much everything I came across so far was either tepid or 40???+

Anyway, would be

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    another question:

Kovac and Weiss releases

you pretty much sumemd it up. u can add a goykovich to the list.

1. Funk you very much
    2. Bahia next year
    3. Missing link

1. Circus gambet
    2. Hypnotic pignose
    3. Slums on wheels (killer)

Are you sure there issue of this on MPS, this one looks like a special
    pressing thing ..

1. Funk you very much
    2. Bahia next year
    3. Missing link

1. Circus gambet
    2. Hypnotic pignose

pressing thing ..

yup, that looks like a special pressing. seems to be a selection of tracks from earlier Kriegel MPS albums (Inside: Missing Link, Topical Harvest & Octember variations.

• Is it this one you are thinking ofF?

yes but have you ever seen it for sale ? seems to be quite rare.
    i have a question regarding the "crystal jazz" pressings. i know there is a charly antolini, dauner`s "knirsch" etc.. on crystal jazz - are these pressings cheaper and easier to come by? what about the pressing quality?

oh, i meant teddy's record. not the one you posted about

• another question:

selected sound - what??s good?

someone told me about a Teupen LP with serious heat and I know about a couple of Kovac and Weiss releases as well. Pretty much everything I came across so far was either tepid or 40???+

Anyway, would be

teupen's record on selected sound is not that good. three or more good tracks from the harporhythm lp on mps are on there though.

kovac's master said is nice
    light & rhythmical backgrounds is nice
    riding on a cloud is ok
    pipeline is nice
    action tension & space is nice
    artistry in trumpets is nice
    blue butterfly is nice
    rhythm on the rocks is ok
    easy trumpet is ok
    king size is nice
    night drive is nice
    rhythm brass & sports is ok
    flight to frisco is ok
    city calling is nice
    time signals is ok
    happy meeting is ok

some cool tracks by big jazz dudes on those i mentioned, but overall most selected sounds are not that good throughout.

• 1. Funk you very much
    2. Bahia next year
    3. Missing link

1. Circus gambet
    2. Hypnotic pignose

pressing thing ..

yeah.... it's a special pressing, but the tracks are from common records. i've seen that pressing around.

i think his best one is his first on liberty. great jazz.

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    do you know some funky big band stuff besides brandenburg or kuhn?