"Feeling Good"

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Often times I'll wake up in a certain mood and I'll want to make a mix that will accompany me during the day. This is how the first "Love Break" came about - just a mix for me to listen to in my car during a road trip. Anyway, a few weeks ago, I woke up and it was a beautiful day, the sun was shining, the temperature was just right. It made me think of a certain sound that just means "spring/summer" to me, so before I headed out I made this mix to listen to while I ran around New York. There's nothing like New York in the springtime.I hope you enjoy it.Cosmo Baker[/b] "Feeling Good"Benny Golson "I'm Always Dancin' To The Music"Maze feat. Frankie Beverly "Golden Time Of Day"Brenda Russell "In The Thick Of It"SSO "Faded Lady"L.T.D. "Don't Stop Loving Me"Toto "Waiting For Your Love"Harvey Mason "Till You Take My Love"Eddie Drennon & The BSS Orchestra "Do What You Gotta Do"Patrice Rushen "Feels So Real (Won't Let Go)"Brass Construction "Get Up To Get Down"Roy Ayers "Love Will Bring Us Back Together"Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway "Back Together Again"Mtume "Love Lock"Bernard Wright "Spinnin'"Teena Marie "I Need Your Lovin'"Stevie Wonder "Love Light In Flight"Karen Silver "Nobody Else"James Mason "Sweet Power of Your Embrace"Donald Byrd "Love Has Come Around"Chaka Kahn "Clouds"Coke Escoveo "I Wouldn't Change A Thing"Black Ivory "Mainline"Change "A Lover's Holiday"D-Train "Keep On"Earth Wind & Fire "Runnin'" (Danny Krivit Remix)John Paul Young "Love Is In The Air"Norman Connor presents Aquarian Dream "Look Ahead"The Isley Brothers "Harvest For The World"

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    thanks. i'm driving to fucking ohio tomorrow. i need this.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Awesome, dude. I can't wait to listen to this.

-e

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Thank you. I'm downloading it now. Looks like a great mix for this weekend.

• Thank you, this is just what I needed to start off my bike ride this morning.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Thank you, this is just what I needed to start off my bike ride this morning.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    this is real cool. that brenda russell is a jam.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    yes dude!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    nice

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Very nice. It's working.

That Eddie Drennon is a favorite.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    thanks for the mix homie

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Very nice.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    very very nice.

• KidKKidK 119 Posts
    I FEEL LIKE SHIT

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    Man I needed some TOTO to get me through until the weekend, bless.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    Excellent mix

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    The dope schitt. Thanks Cosmo.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    You ever get a joyful feeling so strong it makes you want to jump out of your skin?:

Stevie Wonder "Love Light In Flight"

And this is the one I had to trainspot a hommie on at Fluid a couple years ago:

Donald Byrd "Love Has Come Around"

Fantasmic.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Thanks Cosmo,
    I enjoyed this a lot. Thanks for making it available. So, did you just wake up and freestyle this whole thing (i.e. grabbing some favorites and usual suspects of the current mood) or did you sit for a minute and think it out? Either way it's a great mix. I'm just curious about the process.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

!!!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Excellent mix

• SWEEEET!

• unnnnngh! nice cuts and nice cutting too. cool if I share this widely?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I walked around Central Park yesterday jamming to this in my ipod.

My personal highlight = donald byrd moment

• thanks cos - you're that dude!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Thank you Cosmo!!

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Cheers Cosmo, much appreciated!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Glad everytone is digging this mix. Always good to do something that is relatively personal work and have it resonate with people. Somewhat falls in line with the philosophy that I have regarding art in general, be it sculpture or DJing or cooking or screenwriting. You reach into the chambers of your self to create what is a very personal piece of work (all creation is personal in my opinion by the way) and the work belongs to you and only you, yet when you release it on the world it becomes everybody's possesion except for yours. In a way you cannot say that you lay claim to anything that you have created because the culmination of the creative process strips you of any true hold on it.

Then again maybe I'm just talking shit. It's a mix CD!

Anyway, glad you all dug it. Captain Planet, feel free to spread it anywhere and everywhere. Burn it, give it out to people. It's music that is meant for people to listen to while the weather is good.

Controller7, I really don't have a process when I'm making a tape like this. Liek I said, I just picked some records that I knew that I wanted to listen to that day in my car, so I grabbed them and made the mix. Of course I wanted there to be a relative theme that went through it, kind of groovy shit that makes me think of spring and summer in Philly. Also the records that I picked are what I would call "BBQ Beat" joints - soul records that you might hear at a barbeque. Of course I left the obvious party james off but certain records like "Back Together Again" and (in particular) "Love Has Come Around" have a warm sound that I equate to spending time in the sun, on the Belmont Plateau.

Gonna give a full record by record rundown of what these songs mean to me. Give me a few hours. Each song does have a special meaning/story to me/it. And fuck it, you know I'm a long winded motherfucker sometimes!

well done. I love those days when you wake up and feel like "this is what I need to do today."

• thanks for this, looking forward to it