STRONG ISLAND

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Arguably the greatest area producing Hip-hop in the so-called "Golden Era".Biz, Rakim, De La Soul, Public Enemy, JVC FOrce, EPMD, K-Solo, Leaders of the New School, KMD, Hard to Obtain, etc. I could go on and on... Haven't heard much since- but what an incredible pool of talent!

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Biz, Rakim, De La Soul, Public Enemy, JVC FOrce, EPMD, K-Solo, Leaders of the New School, KMD, Hard to Obtain, etc. I could go on and on...

Haven't heard much since- but what an incredible pool of talent!

you sure Hard to Obtain really belongs in that list? I know it's a strut favorite, but...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Biz, Rakim, De La Soul, Public Enemy, JVC FOrce, EPMD, K-Solo, Leaders of the New School, KMD, Hard to Obtain, etc. I could go on and on...

you sure Hard to Obtain really belongs in that list? I know it's a strut favorite, but...

Yeah, seriously! Even Dante Ross disavowed them dudes and he produced them!

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    L.I. Groove was pretty cool but damn I might just sell my wax off and the lp too!

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

I'm standing by H2O - just bought the re-release and it holds up! Listen again!

Who else was reppin the island? The UN was the last group i can think of...

• FrequencyFrequency 115 Posts
    I'm reppin the island!!!! AND bringing it back....It's New York.

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
    Born and raised.... Can't forget about Keith Murray. Shouts also to RA The Rugged Man, DJ Ev, Young Black Teenagers and Dave from Rockin Reel!

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts

From the cover art to the beats that album had it all, apart from decent MC???s

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Hard To Obtain=

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    What about Granddaddy I.U?
    Is he from L.I or Jersey??

Dude is

• Options
    Hard To Obtain=

Either Prodigy or Havoc is from Freeport and he still lives there. Used to see them driving around all the time.

Anyone remember Hyenas In The Desert?

I think Eric Sadler still lives out here, he was djing small parties at a bar/club in my town 5 years ago.

Didn't AJ from JVC Force/On The Go post here for a few days? I know he was on Stef's board, dude is the encyclopedia regarding LI hiphop.

Everyone from Brentwood/C.Islip knew where Erick Sermon's house was, and I can't count how many kids have told me they dropped a demo in his mailbox and got invited to his studio.

This is right down the block from my house...

FlavorFlav sightings used to be a regular thing in Merrick. He'd come over from Roosevelt to hit up all the fast food spots on Merrick Rd, driving this old beat up station wagon that was loaded down with subwoofers in the back. It was two seats up front and all subwoofers in the back. Dude would hit up Wendy's for a burger, go over to McDonalds for fries, bounce to Taco Bell for whatever, then stop by Burger King for chicken.

Later that night everyone would be at the park or a party drinking and comparing Flav's orders or what song he was playing. I worked at Subway, we didn't have a drivethru so he didn't head our way.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Arguably the greatest area producing Hip-hop in the so-called "Golden Era".

True.

Marley Marl and Prince Paul are from Brooklyn.

Can't forget about Keith Murray.

I always loved this dude. He needs an "Indie" rap makeover. On StonesThrow over Madlib beats- go snatch up some backpackers!

• I'm sorry, but Ism and Blues was the ish in SC when it first came out. They had a B Side called Hip Hop Lifestyles that got major spinnage in the parks and high school parking lots. the LI sound from that era (even Rumpletilskinz)

even Rumpletilskinz

this was pretty good got some cassette burn in the summer of 93...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I always loved this dude. He needs an "Indie" rap makeover. On StonesThrow over Madlib beats- go snatch up some backpackers!

I bet that would work like a charm. Seriously.

yup.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    even Rumpletilskinz

this was pretty good got some cassette burn in the summer of 93...

Nice album.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

yup.
    Didn't they already do that and it was called Enigma

• saucesauce 8 Posts
    Arguably the greatest area producing Hip-hop in the so-called "Golden Era".

True.

Marley Marl and Prince Paul are from Brooklyn.

Prince Paul is from Amityville

Long Island!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prince Paul is from Amityville

Long Island!!!!!!!!!!!!

How could I forget? My hero!