cumbia villera

frogmanfrogman 22 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
not sure if this has been discussed here before...so Im in Buenos Aires and I have been digging this music pretty heavily, buying as many cds as I can find-- Pibes Chorros, Damas Gratis, Yerba Brava, Sonido Basico, etc..... problem is I can't really find any?! Like one or two cds in every store I go to. The whole thing with cumbia villera seems really backwards, like unless you live in the slum / suburbs not only can you not hear it anywhere, you also can't buy it anywhere. I was under the impression that this was a fairly popular youth music in Argentina / Buenos Aires but so far I just get weird looks and "no no no" or some worse racist shit from anybody I ask about it. Doesn't help that my spanish is basically nonexistant and Im staying in one of the richest neighborhoods in BA (Recoleta) but c'mon...anybody have info (paging JLR) on this subject other than what's up on wikipedia? Is it a washed up genre? are all the kids into techno and US hip hop now? or is it really just a genre that is totally limited to the outskirts (poor) parts of the country? for those who don't know what I'm talking about, big hit by Pibes Chorros from a couple years ago: