Digital Cameras

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Ok, so I am wanting to get a digital camera, primarily for posting pics on the net & printing off your normal size photos. what sort of megapixel rating should I be looking for??FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1119147233holmes">

Appropriate Megapixel Rating For Me[/b]3-44-55+INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"> Also, any features I should be on the lookout for??

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    normal size photos = 2-3 MP. Of course, if you get a higher mp camera you can do shit like cropping, have a better looking pic, and still knock it down to 2-3 MP.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    3mp

go with a canon powershot

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts
    Nikon or Canon are the good look.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Olympus....

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    If you want an easy point and shoot type of camera, go with the Canon Powershot. I like the powershot because it is small enough to put in my front pocket.

When you outgrow that and want more functionality, like shutter speed for instance, move up to a Nikon. They aren't small enough to carry in your pocket but you can take some nice pictures once you take the time to learn all of the extra settings.

Get as many megapixels as you can afford. You can always go back and resize images to make them more usable for posting on the web. Having more megapixels is really nice for more detail, especially when doing close macro shots.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Any opinions on Sanyo or Kodak??

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I think my folks have a Powershot, so I will definitely look into them & yeah, it is easy to use.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    get the canon 20d, you won't regret it.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    You can always go back and resize images to make them more usable for print or web. Having more megapixels is important for high res pix that might be published, printed.

I am rocking an old olympus I scored for $200 or something from an Office Depot coupon deal. Has yet to fail me even after I dropped it. My sister invested in a Powershot s60 (her second Powershot, her s30 was stolen) and its worth every penny.

I will probably buy one for myself after a few sales this summer.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I have a Minolta Dimage F100- 4.0 megas, 7.5x (yet it says 2.5x digital zoom... can't figure this out, I guess I need to read the manual or sumthin'). It's cool, but I need something with a really powerful telephoto lens so I can look out my window and get nice shots of busty college students walking to and fro in front of my house (I live near a university). Does this make me a pervert? I guess it does. Any suggestions?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Make sure to buy a camera with a short exposure time. My camera was very expensive, but since the exposure time is so long, all pictures get blurry. I can neither take pictures of people/things in motion, nor make quick snapshots. I have to keep the camera very still all the time.

And make sure that the included acumulator is a quality one. Some rechargeable batteries will only allow you to take 30 pictures max.

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    I have a Minolta Dimage F100- 4.0 megas, 7.5x (yet it says 2.5x digital zoom... can't figure this out, I guess I need to read the manual or sumthin'). It's cool, but I need something with a really powerful telephoto lens so I can look out my window and get nice shots of busty college students walking to and fro in front of my house (I live near a university). Does this make me a pervert? I guess it does. Any suggestions?

there's a difference between digital and optical zoom, digital just resizes a picture (like in photoshop) which is sorta useless - you're better off disabling it. If you want powerful lenses you gotta get a digital SLR, which is pretty expensive. Good luck with the pervert bit!

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I'm on the shopping block for one myself since the baggage check dude decided to keep my Canon G1 on the trip I just got back from. I'm definitely gonna stick with Canon but am gonna go for something much smaller. Let's keep it coming.

• I've just got a Sony DSC-V3 which is nice