Leaving Las Vegas (Soundtrack Related)

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Just watched this again today. Maybe the most brutal film of all time. There just isn't a moments rest from Cage's suicide slide. But what struck me more than anything was how well the soundtrack works, which surprising because Figgis serves up a steaming pile of Sting, Don Henley and Michael McDonald singing jazz and soul standards. It doesn't get much worse than ex-Doobie's crushing "Lonely Teardrops". Except Sting singing Angel Eyes must have had Ella rolling in her grave. It sounds like a recipe for disaster but it simply isn't. I was so moved by the experience when the movie came out that I convinced myself to buy the CD. I played it once and shelved it. Outside the context of that movie, that music is unlistenable. Can anyone else think of a similar experience with a soundtrack?BTW this movie has a million great cameos some music related. I give the movie an A+ just for the Lou Rawls cameo at the end. French Smith (super gay nerd of 3rd Rock from the Sun fame) plays a leering gang banger (sex related not crime related) in the opening scene. Bizarre. Julian Lennon pops up as a bar tender.

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    A lot of the 80's style electro action soundtracks are like that. The Thing, Terminator, Escape From New York.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    A lot of the 80's style electro action soundtracks are like that. The Thing, Terminator, Escape From New York.

• Just watched this again today. Maybe the most brutal film of all time.

Sucker for punishment, eh?

I've seen about 75% of this movie but dunno if I can ever go back and re-watch to see it all the way through. I didn't stop watching it, someone came over or something if I recall.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,848 Posts
    I bought the DVD but have never watched it. Mostly because it's a great film, but dark and depressing, even for my tastes.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Just watched this again today. Maybe the most brutal film of all time.

Sucker for punishment, eh?

I've seen about 75% of this movie but dunno if I can ever go back and re-watch to see it all the way through. I didn't stop watching it, someone came over or something if I recall.

you should get a ball gag and dog collar with the purchase of the dvd.