E-bay relisting advice

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Put some records up for an auction that ended May 23. One of the records was a northern soul track that was bid on heavily and went for $540. I had to contact the guy after six days to see if he stil wanted it. He replied yes and that he was waiting for some e-bay auctions of his own to close. Fine I said. (BTW my auction stated that buyers had 3 days to contact me and 7 days to pay).Two Thursdays ago (the 31st) his paypal payment showed up in mine as "pending." It stayed "pending" for six days before I sent him another message asking what was up. The next day, after not hearing back from him I sent him another message saying he had one more day to respond or I was going to relist.He didn't respond in time so I filed a complaint with e-bay and relisted the record. It now has two bids and about 15 watchers.Today (remember the record sold May 23) he realizes that I've relisted, puts the money in my paypal (for real this time) and begs me to end the auction. I'm inclined to tell him tough luck and give him his money back but was curious what y'all thougtht.Thanks.

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Do you think you'll get that much for it on the second go'round?

If not, I'd end the auction and let him have the record.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Do you think you'll get that much for it on the second go'round?

If not, I'd end the auction and let him have the record.

I've definitely thought about that. It has sold for more than that although those copies were in better shape than mine. Part of me wants to teach this guy a lesson that while I do hold piles in the shop I don't do them on-line, and part of me wants the cash now.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I'd take the cash. It probably won't go as high, especially if the highest bidder is not bidding again.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I don't exactly understand your story, but if it was a eCheck on Paypal, it just needed to clear, which can take awhile. If it was some sort of eBay notification that he was going to pay soon, that's a different story. BUT it's really hard to replicate an auction's great success on the second go round.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    that's the gopher move, you play dumb til you see your record relisted, then...

I decided to take the cash in hand but now I'm having trouble contacting the high bidder on the current auction (ebay won't let me send him a message) so I can get him to withdraw his bid. Ideas?
    Thanks again.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I decided to take the cash in hand but now I'm having trouble contacting the high bidder on the current auction (ebay won't let me send him a message) so I can get him to withdraw his bid. Ideas?
    Thanks again.

You just cancel all bids and end it.
    You can find the form in the site map section.

Thanks again.

You just cancel all bids and end it.
    You can find the form in the site map section.

Thanks. Never had to do this before (obviously).