Quik.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
From HipHopSite:Quik, you mention in the record that you dropped the "DJ" from you name, why did you decide to do that?[/b]Quik: It just made my name too long. "My name is DJ Quik, instead it's just Quik". Since the public has ADHD nowadays, you have to make short and simple. If you look at it I cut 1/3 off my name.AMG: Next year the n*ggas name is going to be "Q" The video is out now and the song has a crazy buzz, is there a plan for an album?[/b]AMG: We are working on the album as we speak. Quik: The album is a fun record. It stays away from social shit, nobody wants to hear that now, people want to groove. We are doing shake your ass music, it's still musical but it's minimal. [color:red]I think the days of the heavy string laid, sample heavy records are over and I don't seem them coming back. It's an electronic age and it's about making best with what technology gives you.[/b][/color] That is what "Can U Werk Wit Dat" really stands for. It's about us not using the regular 24 Bit 96 K engines that everybody else is using. It's about using 32 bit 92 K processors and getting a bigger sound that is much closer to analog and warm. So with a little bit of music, you still get a big sound.
First off, as a diehard DJ/B> Quik fan, I have to say I'm a little disappointed he dropped the DJ from his name. 'Specially 'cause the last time I saw him in concert (about 2 years ago) he made it a point to jump behind the turntables and remind everybody WHY he was called DJ Quik.Second, is dude disconnected or what? Sample beats have been all over the place the past few years!Discuss if you feel like discussing...

Comments

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I barely recognized him in that "Can U Work With That" song, sounds like he's rapping with a head cold.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    It stays away from social shit, nobody wants to hear that now...

I love this. He makes it sound like there's a lot of socially conscious music right now.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    'can u werk' is disappointing, like quik goes snap

but whatever, trauma was fire and he's made the transition to modern production better than most folks from that era

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    is dude disconnected or what? Sample beats have been all over the place the past few years!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    From HipHopSite:

It's about us not using the regular 24 Bit 96 K engines that everybody else is using. It's about using 32 bit 92 K processors and getting a bigger sound

Bad looks abound....

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    From HipHopSite:

Quik, you mention in the record that you dropped the "DJ" from you name, why did you decide to do that?[/b]

Quik: It just made my name too long. "My name is DJ Quik, instead it's just Quik". Since the public has ADHD nowadays, you have to make short and simple. If you look at it I cut 1/3 off my name.

AMG: Next year the n*ggas name is going to be "Q"

The video is out now and the song has a crazy buzz, is there a plan for an album?[/b]

AMG: We are working on the album as we speak.

Quik: The album is a fun record. It stays away from social shit, nobody wants to hear that now, people want to groove. We are doing shake your ass music, it's still musical but it's minimal. [color:red]I think the days of the heavy string laid, sample heavy records are over and I don't seem them coming back. It's an electronic age and it's about making best with what technology gives you.[/b][/color] That is what "Can U Werk Wit Dat" really stands for. It's about us not using the regular 24 Bit 96 K engines that everybody else is using. It's about using 32 bit 92 K processors and getting a bigger sound that is much closer to analog and warm. So with a little bit of music, you still get a big sound.

First off, as a diehard DJ/B> Quik fan, I have to say I'm a little disappointed he dropped the DJ from his name. 'Specially 'cause the last time I saw him in concert (about 2 years ago) he made it a point to jump behind the turntables and remind everybody WHY he was called DJ Quik.

Second, is dude disconnected or what? Sample beats have been all over the place the past few years!

Discuss if you feel like discussing...

I think he's more saying that he's been trying to do all this groundbreaking shit sonically on his last couple albums and nobody really gave a fizzle. So fuck it, make a beat a Reason and appeal to what is hot to the kids right now.

BTW I finally got the DJ Quik "Red Tape" and I've been bumping it constantly. Its dope to hear alternate versions of 2nd II None and Quik songs. The little dis of CMW on one of the songs is so small and can't believe shit turned into a all out war.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Quik, you mention in the record that you dropped the "DJ" from you name, why did you decide to do that?[/b]

Quik: It just made my name too long. "My name is DJ Quik, instead it's just Quik". Since the public has ADHD nowadays, you have to make short and simple. If you look at it I cut 1/3 off my name.

"Made (his) name too long?"

Does he think the public is too dumb to handle three syllables? It ain't like he's named Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band...

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Wasnt he talking about a technic he devolped where he can replay samples but the still sound like the original or some like that ???

I think he said that in Scratch magazine.

My copies are not here where I'm at right now, has anyone a copy to look at ???

Peace
    Hawkeye

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Quik is st8 lava.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Honestly I think he is a bit late with his view on the social vs. club music. From what I can tell with the kids the social stuff is coming back in at least in LA and aren't really digging alot of the radio shake your ass joints - its all the 24 year old and above crowd buying your club joints.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Honestly I think he is a bit late with his view on the social vs. club music. From what I can tell with the kids the social stuff is coming back in at least in LA and aren't really digging alot of the radio shake your ass joints - its all the 24 year old and above crowd buying your club joints.

really? that's encouraging to hear but i sort of dont buy it.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I like Dj Quik, but I don't understand why so many producers think that using a couple of presets on a synth is more ground breaking than sampling? Oh well, why doesn't he do a Prince and just become a symbol?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    But as PRODUCER it's very limiting. If all you do is sample it's doubtful that you be taken seriously in mostly circles.

yeeeaahhh. oookay.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I like Dj Quik, but I don't understand why so many producers think that using a couple of presets on a synth is more ground breaking than sampling? Oh well, why doesn't he do a Prince and just become a symbol?

presets? quik works w/ real musicians who actually play instruments, i think more cats should do the same...
    i member a few years ago when he sold his analog shit & bought computer shit, then went back to analog, a lil sad he went back to computer side =(

I don't mean Quik specifically, just the dudes that are always decrying sampling when all they're doing is using Reason and a motif, thinking they're Bob Moog or something. I agree that more dudes should be using real instrumentation, especially those that are actually making $$$.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

Sampling is a good way to start making beats. But as PRODUCER it's very limiting. If all you do is sample it's doubtful that you be taken seriously in mostly circles.

I agree because it's hard to find samples to fit your exact musical vision. You can have an idea of sound or you can manipulate it to your liking, but in order to reach that psycho producer ocd mad genius state, it helps to have a symphony at your disposal. Have them play the sample you have in mind and you're good.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

Sampling is a good way to start making beats. But as PRODUCER it's very limiting. If all you do is sample it's doubtful that you be taken seriously in mostly circles.

I agree because it's hard to find samples to fit your exact musical vision. You can have an idea of sound or you can manipulate it to your liking, but in order to reach that psycho producer ocd mad genius state, it helps to have a symphony at your disposal. Have them play the sample you have in mind and you're good.

How bout Learning some Music theory?

can't hurt

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    But as PRODUCER it's very limiting. If all you do is sample it's doubtful that you be taken seriously in mostly circles.

yeeeaahhh. oookay.

Prove me wrong.

Are you serious ???

• Quik is st8 lava.

State lava? Str8 perhaps?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    sampling vs. using presets

= who gives a shit

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    From HipHopSite:

It's about us not using the regular 24 Bit 96 K engines that everybody else is using. It's about using 32 bit 92 K processors and getting a bigger sound

Bad looks abound....

I dunno. when i seen him in the studio he just brought in a laptop with logic on it and thats it. I think he likes to talk alot of technical b.s.

quik is still the man, and you cant fault him for feeling how he does, that stupid little song is his biggest hit in years.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    From HipHopSite:

Bad looks abound....

I dunno. when i seen him in the studio he just brought in a laptop with logic on it and thats it. I think he likes to talk alot of technical b.s.

quik is still the man, and you cant fault him for feeling how he does, that stupid little song is his biggest hit in years.

Regardless of what he's using, dude has numerous classic albums under his belt. He was actually combing samples and live instruments before most as well (PPC was crazy with it). I know but I really need to know what is used on 2nd to None's "Underground Arsenal of Terror". The breakdowns he was programming on the early albums were filthy!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    BTW I finally got the DJ Quik "Red Tape" and I've been bumping it constantly.

This is excellent for a demo. I'm gonna listen for the CMW diss.