Ozzie Guillen speaks on Steroids, MLB, and Latinos

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Told y'all I'm BACKit wouldn't be a Guzzo-related post unless it involved some racism claims. Personally I think Guillen is THAT dude (the only thing he could do to make me respect him more is join the Dodger organization), he has never bowed down to outside pressure and always speaks his mind. I want to know what heads here think about this one. White Sox manager says probe unfairly targets Latinos[/b]Associated PressJune 7, 2007, 12:27 PM ETCHICAGO -- White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen thinks Major League Baseball's steroids investigation is unfairly targeting Latino players.Guillen was interviewed by several officials last season, and he said they repeatedly focused their questioning on players from Latin America."I meet with, like, five people," Guillen said Wednesday. "The only thing that made me upset was they tried to mention too many Latino players. I think they try to put the Latinos to be the bad cloud in this thing. This thing was bugging me because everything they asked me [was], 'Do you ever see this in Venezuela?"'BALCO is not [in] Venezuela, is not [in] Puerto Rico, is not Dominican, is not [in] Mexico. BALCO is in California. Then why do [MLB officials] keep blaming players from Latin America for the problem that we have in the States?Guillen said asking whether players were importing steroids from their native countries was unfair, considering BALCO is based in California."They were like, 'You never see any of the players bring this thing to the States?"' Guillen said. "I said, 'Wait a second, BALCO is not [in] Venezuela, is not [in]Puerto Rico, is not Dominican, is not [in] Mexico. BALCO is in California. Then why do you keep blaming players from Latin America for the problem that we have in the States?'"An Associated Press review in 2005 determined that half of the players suspended that year were born in Latin America."In accordance with our policy, we do not comment on the details of any interviews," former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell said in a statement Thursday. "However, I want to make it clear that the investigation is not focused on any one player or on any group or category of players. We are following our mandate from commissioner Selig, which is to investigate and report to him on the alleged illegal use of steroids and other performance enhancing substances by players in Major League Baseball."Rob Manfred, executive vice president for labor relations in the commissioner's office, said Mitchell is interested in anyone who might be involved in the use of performance-enhancing substances in baseball.Guillen responded to a spring training interview about the subject by making an anti-doping video in conjunction with Major League Baseball. It will be shown to all players that participate in the Venezuelan and Dominican summer leagues, as well as other Spanish-speaking players throughout baseball."It bugged me," he said. "That's why I made a video. I made a video [because] I don't want Latin kids to be involved with something."Guillen said he's "100 percent" against steroid use but added it's "not my business" if others take them."I really don't worry about it," he said. "I have three kids and those are the only three people I care about. Everybody else, you do what you want to do."

Comments

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    I personally like Guillen...He definetly speaks his mind...I don't really know if this is true or not, he would know being in the business and all, but I think as far as offenders go, it doesn't matter what race or ethniciy you are...It's pretty even across the board...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    but I think as far as offenders go, it doesn't matter what race or ethniciy you are...It's pretty even across the board...

not so sure, after all who is the most publically persecuted person in the world of baseball and steroids?

I'll give you a hint he looks a lot like this girl

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    If Guillen is particularly familiar with the baseball culture in the aformentioned countries, why would asking him about steroid use in those countries be racist?

I live in Massachusetts. If some nationwide organization were conducting some sort of investigation and asked me questions primarily about Massachusetts, should I be asshurt?

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    but I think as far as offenders go, it doesn't matter what race or ethniciy you are...It's pretty even across the board...

not so sure, after all who is the most publically persecuted person in the world of baseball and steroids?

Yeah, but do to his personality and pursuit of "the record" it is easy to "persecute" or hate on him...

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

In Barry's case it's about the fact that he broke the single season HR record while using and he's about to break the career record. He's also a renowned asshole. those factors play into his persecution much more than his race does.