Sports Memorabilia

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Can't even say how happy I am that I just won these 1978 LSU basketball programs off of ebay, the first featuring DeWayne Scales and the other Rudy Macklin.The other day I pulled an old Michael Jordan collage, comprised of only photos of him from college, that I made to serve as my Nerf hoop backboard when I was in high school during the '80's. It's now pinned up in my office at work. Who else on here collects sports stuff and what is it?

Comments

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

The other day I pulled an old Michael Jordan collage, comprised of only photos of him from college, that I made to serve as my Nerf hoop backboard when I was in high school during the '80's. It's now pinned up in my office at work.

can we assume that you work from home?

i have a ton of basketball stuff from the late 80s/early 90s. mostly basketball cards, but a decent amount of autographed crap (such as a Sean Kemp autographed gatorade slam dunk "10" card that i got signed at the all-star game) .

looking back, i cant believe i wasted so much time and money on this shit, when i should have been doing something constructive, like actually playing basketball, or kissing girls. if my kids ever ask me to buy them sports cards i will have to give them an educational smack across the face.

to each his own i guess, but i just dont get the "sentimental" aspect of memorabilia.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

can we assume that you work from home?

No, I work in an office.

i have a ton of basketball stuff from the late 80s/early 90s. mostly basketball cards, but a decent amount of autographed crap (such as a Sean Kemp autographed gatorade slam dunk "10" card that i got signed at the all-star game) .

looking back, i cant believe i wasted so much time and money on this shit, when i should have been doing something constructive, like actually playing basketball, or kissing girls. if my kids ever ask me to buy them sports cards i will have to give them an educational smack across the face.

to each his own i guess, but i just dont get the "sentimental" aspect of memorabilia.

I collected cards growing up. I still have most of them in boxes in my garage. Whereas back then I wanted to have volume upon volume of every damned player in every sport...now I only concern myself with pet interests, specifically old school New Orleans Saints, New Orleans Jazz, and LSU Tigers stuff from my childhood. For instance, it's great to look into a '84 LSU football program and count the number of players that I saw play while they were still in high school.

Cool, I got this one too, featuring Willie Sims...

GeneP, where ya at?

• I love sports memorabilia, but like a dumbass I sold my whooole collection around 5 or 6 yrs ago when I was hurtin' for cash something serious. I was at a point where I honestly didnt give a fuck what I got for them because I was attempting to move to another city and basically didnt have shit as far as loot goes. So I ended up selling them ALL for only $50..and I aint just talking about a bunch of monster boxes full of commons(no bald rapper)or anything...tons of shit..so many thousands of cards including more than a few monster boxes full of all hard and screw case worthy cards. Tons of old 80's rookie cards(base-basket-football)of the big named dudes(clemens,canseco,etc). After seeing the value on all of this shit drop like never before..I was so pissed that after a day of trying to sell them at a local flea that just before I left I said fuck it and threw the "$50 for everything" sign on them and let some dude take em all. I regret it..even if they arent worth shit, I would still like to have them just because of the time,effort and money I put into it all. Now I don't have much at all(just a few framed photos and shit like that), but I really want to hook my work/computer room up with a lot of nice sports related memorabilia type shit.

Let's see some pictures of yalls rooms..I know some of yall gotta have some heat(no miami).

I love sports memorabilia, but like a dumbass I sold my whooole collection around 5 or 6 yrs ago when I was hurtin' for cash something serious. I was at a point where I honestly didnt give a fuck what I got for them because I was attempting to move to another city and basically didnt have shit as far as loot goes. So I ended up selling them ALL for only $50..and I aint just talking about a bunch of monster boxes full of commons(no bald rapper)or anything...tons of shit..so many thousands of cards including more than a few monster boxes full of all hard and screw case worthy cards. Tons of old 80's rookie cards(base-basket-football)of the big named dudes(clemens,canseco,etc). After seeing the value on all of this shit drop like never before..I was so pissed that after a day of trying to sell them at a local flea that just before I left I said fuck it and threw the "$50 for everything" sign on them and let some dude take em all. I regret it..even if they arent worth shit, I would still like to have them just because of the time,effort and money I put into it all. Now I don't have much at all(just a few framed photos and shit like that), but I really want to hook my work/computer room up with a lot of nice sports related memorabilia type shit.

Let's see some pictures of yalls rooms..I know some of yall gotta have some heat(no miami).

Man, that's tough to take. I just sent my little nephew who lives in Arlington a stack of old Texas Rangers cards. Money-wise, they're aren't worth squat...but to my little dude, they mean a lot.

I fucked up back while I was still collecting cards by at some point I decided I was only going to collect baseball cards. I sold/traded off all of my basketball and football cards and now all these years down the line, those are the very cards out of any I wish I still had. One of these days I'm still going to buy all of the footbal and basketball sets from like '74 to '79.