So how's about Spice 1?

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
His debut album from '92 is a certified monster...I saw someone on here the other day posting something about playing basketball in Shipe Park here in Austin...well, Spice 1's 187 He Wrote was the resounding soundtrack to the Shipe Park basketball courts circa '93-'94. But hmmm, I wonder if young Texas rap fans nowadays have any clue who Spice 1 is. I mean, here he is with Chingy and some other unknown loseur from Bun B's Draped Up video shoot...Better yet, maybe we can get the Pilsbury Dough Boy's cousin's sister-in-law who just happens to teach at a pre-k daycare in Rockridge to find out if Oakland is still even vaguely familiar with the East Bay Gangster-isms of the one S-P-I-C-E.

Comments

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I have fond memories of kicking many a crappy freestyle over the "187 Proof" instrumental.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Amerikkka'a Worst Nightmare

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Dusted and di-muthafuckin-sgusted.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

a great album.

D-Boyz Got Love For Me Featuring E-40, Strap On The Side, Hard To Kill Featuring Method Man. Shit I consider Jealous Got Me Strapped one of Pac's best songs.

Spice 1 has some heat on all his albums. Plaese to not fuck with the East Bay G.

a great album.

D-Boyz Got Love For Me Featuring E-40, Strap On The Side, Hard To Kill Featuring Method Man. Shit I consider Jealous Got Me Strapped one of Pac's best songs.

I always liked Face of a Desperate Man.

a great album.

I always liked Face of a Desperate Man.

also dope.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    strap on the side

BTW I am admittedly a bit disconnect from that scene, but do people really take this dude "Chingy" seriously? I just remember that one lame single with the gimicky chorus. Are the streets feeling the one laughably known as "Chingy"?

PS Spice Spiggidy 1's Laker's jersey is NAGL.

PS Spice Spiggidy 1's Laker's jersey is NAGL.

It's a Payton jersey though...i.e. make the connection.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    His debut album from '92 is a certified monster...

that tape was the soundtrack to my summer before 7th grade...until my parents found it and took it away. i guess they thought songs about setting bitches on fire in car trunks might be a bad influence.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I had lost faith in spice1 after that shitty album he did with eiht but man he sounds really good on that new shit with FAB.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    One had the 9, and the other had the 4-5
    When they did a hit it took them both to drive.
    Didn't use nothin' fast like a Vetta or a Jag;
    Did a drive-by in a Muthafuckin' Drop Top ZigZag.
    Coke and his Sister Mary Jane,
    On Marijuana block drinkin' 40s to the Brain....

That rhyme always stuck with me. I'll ride for the first record, and the days of my walkman.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i can only ever think of his HS dance pictures whenever i see or hear of spice 1. all b-boyed out.... with guns in their hands?!?! it was a weird picture mostly because he was rhymin "187 dumpin niggas up in ditches/fat nina for them playa hatin bitches" and im interviewing him and his family at a pre-house party. his parents were super nice and gave us fresh cool-aid for the hot summer day. one of the nicest kinda gangsterish but just not around his folks rapper. his gunplay talk came after we left the house. i thought that was respectable.

and i have most of his LPs and singles...