Difference between Hiphop and Rap?

OrangeYoghurtOrangeYoghurt 210 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
The more I think about it, the moreconfused I get.So whats the exact difference between Rap and Hiphop?Isnt Hiphop the music or the subculture and rap the lyrics?Isnt rap the braggin and boastin. And Hiphop the oldskool?Why is Rob Base It Takes Two, now, considered Hiphop and not Rap?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    If you do not find the answer inside yourself, where do you expect to find it?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Rap is something you do, hip-hop is something you live.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Rap is something you do, hip-hop is something you live.

You beat me to it.

• this cant be real

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Wikipedia is semi correct here.

Hip hop[/b] music, also known as rap music, is a style of music which came into existence in the United States during the mid-1970s, and became a large part of modern pop culture during the 1980s. It consists of two FOUR main components: rapping (MCing) and DJing (production and scratching). Along with hip hop dance (notablyBreakdancing and urban inspired art, or notably graffiti, these compose the four elements of hip hop culture, a cultural movement that was initiated by inner-city youth, mostly Blacks and Latinos[1][2] in New York City, in the early 1970s. Though it can be referred to as an African American music, its creation and proliferation can be credited to many groups of people within the United States and around the world.

Rapping[/b], also known as Emceeing, MCing, Rhyme spitting, Spitting, or just Rhyming, is the rhythmic delivery of rhymes, one of the central elements of hip hop music and culture.

- spidey

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    this cant be real

• this cant be real

hey Batmon, go back to the "Don't Step On My..." thread..see if you can help me out.

• francislaifrancislai 371 Posts

Rapping[/b], also known as Emceeing, MCing, Rhyme spitting, Spitting, Rhyming, rocking the house, getting verbal, getting sickwidit, verbal spitting, rhymesaying, just saying, flowing from the mental, cypher, freestyling, kicking shit wildstyle, dropping wisdom, dropping science, dropping, dropping spit, spitting drops, drop spitting, ripping the mic, ripping it, ripping shit, flowing, spitting flows, dropping flows,

Rapping[/b], also known as Emceeing, MCing, Rhyme spitting, Spitting, Rhyming, rocking the house, getting verbal, getting sickwidit, verbal spitting, rhymesaying, just saying, flowing from the mental, cypher, freestyling, kicking shit wildstyle, dropping wisdom, dropping science, dropping, dropping spit, spitting drops, drop spitting, ripping the mic, ripping it, ripping shit, flowing, spitting flows, dropping flows,

Droppin' Spit......

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Droppin' Spit......

Isn't that just drooling?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    The more I think about it, the moreconfused I get.
    So whats the exact difference between Rap and Hiphop?
    Isnt Hiphop the music or the subculture and rap the lyrics?
    Isnt rap the braggin and boastin. And Hiphop the oldskool?
    Why is Rob Base It Takes Two, now, considered Hiphop and not Rap?

Any Takers?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Possibly the ugliest piece ever!

Possibly the ugliest piece ever!

I though it was T-Pain at first look.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    You won't find it living in Holland orangeyogurt.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    A year or two ago this kid at the store I work at took it upon himself to attempt to detail the differences between the genres 'rap' and 'hip hop' (in short: 50=rap, Jurassic=hip hop)... I just laughed at him but I did have an urge to punch him in the throat.