LES HUMPHRIES (germany related)

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
i got 2 records from les. dj format told me les has at least 8 braeks but he could not remember which ones. in my last visit to germany i brought back 20 les humphries lp's that yielded no braeks. can some of our german strutters drop knowledge. thanks and have a fine weekend. stein. . . .

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Les got drumbreaks, shonuff. One word of advice: focus on the Les Humphries elpees where each track is actually a medley of 3-4 songs. You got to listen to the shit front to back (sorry, I know the music is crap!). Open drums usually appear in between the individual parts of some of these medleys, and if you're not patient, you won't catch them. When you find them, you won't be dissapointed ??? the sound is usually pretty . Just keep looking, the man has done like a zillion albums.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    The "Rock My Soul" LP has a nice break, more b-boy w/bongos as I remember, but a medium tempo.

That's one down, anyways.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    yO Einstein, Les has breaks, and there's especially one that has some illass drums. I'm on the way out right now(saturdaynight in CPH), cant remember the name of the LP(s), so if nobody has posted titles or pics, I will get back to you on this thread tomorrow with info.....
    auwright-
    peace, and have a nice weekend

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    stop listening to les humphries! pull out the afro rock on de wolfe! and the toni tornado 45! the breaks on the tornado 45 are muuuuuuuuch better than any les humphries' drums!

ps: i gave you afro rock and tornado in germany.

Ok, not really up on too much inhouse diggin right now, so I cant be totally specific about the titles,....BEATS: there's a very common one, black cover, Les in a black suite (smiling), it has a fairly ok open break,... there's acouple of albums with perc breaks also, which are kinda kool,...BUT the ONE Les Hump thats the bombdiggy is the Singing Explosion album...BOOM! This LP has three nice breakbeats, a fast FatBoySlim-ish banger, a dope midtempo untight one(I like'm untight, and schlager beats often are...) with tamborine,... and then a slow heavy illass one at the end of side2.... There's also some hardcore organ/horn gangsterfunk on this record thats unlike any other LH Ive heard....!!! The cover is quite unique also, Les and his singers all wrapped up in aluminum foil (((dope)))

stop listening to les humphries! pull out the afro rock on de wolfe! and the toni tornado 45! the breaks on the tornado 45 are muuuuuuuuch better than any les humphries' drums!

after reading the Klaus Wunderlich thread (funny shit!), I was just waiting for you to come out and diss anyone who could be interested in The Les Humphries Singers. Hey, we all know that there are MANY german records that are more interesting musically than Klaus and Les, but there's really no need for a dick-matching contest here. They might be common as hell, but they can still do damage in the sampler. It's all about creativity, not rarity.

Survey says: "get busy with the schlager-beats".

I'd like to hear those recs you mentioned, though.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

after reading the Klaus Wunderlich thread (funny shit!), I was just waiting for you to come out and diss anyone who could be interested in The Les Humphries Singers. Hey, we all know that there are MANY german records that are more interesting musically than Klaus and Les, but there's really no need for a dick-matching contest here. They might be common as hell, but they can still do damage in the sampler. It's all about creativity, not rarity.

Survey says: "get busy with the schlager-beats".

I'd like to hear those recs you mentioned, though.

?

I was talking to Einstein. I gave him those "rare" records. I didn't ask you to interfere. I was just trying to see how he liked the records. And I'm wondering if he ever got the chance to listen to the stuff I gave him. Seems like he's all busy listening to Les Humphries (no pun intended).

I don't hate Les Humphries! I don't hate Wunderlich! I don't hate people looking for breaks on Wunderlich LPs. I've done that too. I was upset, because it seemed like people were saying that Wunderlich is underrated or something. Wunderlich records are mostly crap. There was another dude stressing that. I don't judge people by their sampling creativity. Neither by the records they own or collect. I was actually trying to save some people time. Cause listening to 50 Wunderlich LPs just to find one drum break is a waste of time. Any Jazz or Pop musician would have ONE break in 50 recorded LPs. Definitely NOT a big deal. That's all I was trying to stress. Maybe my English isn't good enough to express my personal opinion. Sorry about that.
    And maybe I got pissed, because I've had some really bad experience with German break beat collectors. Like Krautbreaks...

Who's trying to dick-match? What was so funny about that Wunderlich thread? Why do you wait for me to come out? Trying to create your new private mind garden?

I really don't know what you're trying to say? This ain't the Wunderlich thread. If you had something to tell me, why didn't you post in the other thread?

but they can still do damage in the sampler

I was talking to Einstein.

My bad. Thought it was a general statement to the heathens. Just let it slide, it's all good.

• LanceLinkLanceLink 21 Posts
    The most bangin' Humphries album (and probably the only one interesting to SS ears)
    is called WALKING DOWN BROADWAY - Les Humphries and his friends.
    Released on the German Karussell label in 1970 and it's pretty scarce.

Heavy drums, fuzzy guitars, juicy organ/clavinet and -yes - some huge drum breaks. All tracks instrumentals. You'd love it.
    Sounds a bit like the Vampires' Sound Inc. Psychedelic dance party album.

Sorry, no jpeg for now, camera's lent.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    And maybe I got pissed, because I've had some really bad experience with German break beat collectors. Like Krautbreaks...

Meaning that Krautbreaks has met some corny break beat collectors from Germany too. Not meaning that I've had a bad experience with Krautbreaks.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I was talking to Einstein.

My bad. Thought it was a general statement to the heathens. Just let it slide, it's all good.

Yep. I wouldn't be the one to start beef. No problemo!

• i got 2 records from les. dj format told me les has at least 8 braeks but he could not remember which ones. in my last visit to germany i brought back 20 les humphries lp's that yielded no braeks. can some of our german strutters drop knowledge. thanks and have a fine weekend. stein. . . .

HAHA!

20 and you found nothing ?

It??s real hard to find 20 different albums of them WITHOUT a break.

On a sidenote they have made just too many albums with different covers.

If you want to spend about 5,- EURO per album and want some breaks of them
    send me a PM

Greetings
    Seb

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    okay, sounds like i need the one with the singers dressed in foil huh??
    hello jan(grope). . .of course i peeped the records. i've listened to afro rock start to finish a few times. the tony tornado is the bomb but i think cut chemist is using something from that. i fairly sure we will use the TNTH "hippo" that you gave me. cheers for those. stein. . .

is called WALKING DOWN BROADWAY - Les Humphries and his friends.
    Released on the German Karussell label in 1970 and it's pretty scarce.

on Karussell,... wow sounds TUFF!!!.......Any other hot Karussell joints to look for?????

OK Stein, like Grope said, life is too short for Les Humphries records without beats. So here's a couple of the safe ones, to save you the hassle:

"Singing Explosion" (silver foil )

"Singing Detonation":

"Singing Revolution":

"Singing Rotation":

"Singing Kaleidoscope":

"Sound '73"

There are more, but these were just off the top of my head. Hope it helps out.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    very nice! thanks for comin' through with the pic's. sorry if this post started a fight. peace, stein. . .

very nice! thanks for comin' through with the pic's. sorry if this post started a fight. peace, stein. . .

Just remember: don't pay too much for these things. 1 euro max!!! Get them when you come to Europe, the shit is all over the place.

• Just remember: don't pay too much for these things. 1 euro max!!! Get them when you come to Europe, the shit is all over the place.

I really don??t have to compete with someone??s knowledge about breaks.

Especially not on the EURO sector and absolutely not when it comes to Germany.

My nickname is krautbreaks ?

A lot of dealers have bought albums from me in the past to sell it to their own massive (for 3x price) which they didn??t know shit about before I told them.

I don??t have to prove anything by posting titles of good albums here which I paid a lot of money for or which other people try to catch for selling.

I am not the type of guy running 5 hours with my portable record player around record fair stalls to listen into cheap records and end up spending 30 euros on stuff I know that others want because I have read listings.

I am the old fashioned guy of buying 100 water damaged records from Turkey on the fleamarket which I know nothing about and spend 200 EUROs blind,

200 euros that would have been the months amout of money for my health insurance just for the sake of finding some good stuff.

What I learned through this posting is that I don??t have to offer anyone my knowledge which is costing me a lot.

I don??t have to see Germany on the screen and respond only because it??s the thing I am hooked up with.

I don??t have to respond to people I don??t know nothing about or to respond to "well respected" people trying to get out the maximum benefit out of their "title/status" but offering nothing for my knowledge or records.

I could go on with the "I am pissed about" listing here but in the end it all comes down to the following decision :

<br />"Good bye puplic soul strut forum"
    <br />
    <br />/lurker
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />Seb
    <br />
    <br />