Mr. Scarface Is Back

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Y'all had me pulling out old records last night and from what I actually had time to revisit, I have to say that "Born Killer" and "Murder By Reason of Insanity" back to back =

Comments

• "You better get out your black dress and call the family. There's gonna be a murder.. my reason.. insanity!"

• "Momma always said 'look a man in the eye before you kill em.'"

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Absolutely a beautiful album. This one gets played every few months or so; still remember the shock of hearing the line in "Murder By Reason..." where he talks about killing the guy's father.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Not a bad track on it, one of the best rap LPs of all time for me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'M DEAD.............

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    cotdammit... i'm goin' through my hip hop albums folder and i just realized I DON'T HAVE THIS ALBUM!!! i see i got the resident alien lp, i got true mathematics greatest hits, i got an assortment of jeezy, weezy and sneezy albums, but no MR. SCARFACE IS BACK??? damn, this a serious oversight! if i can't soulseek this up immediately i may need some aSS[/b]istance

Was this released on vinyl? This album needs a deluxe version IMO.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Was this released on vinyl?

Yeah, it was.

This album needs a deluxe version IMO.

Rap-a-Lot doesn't even keep a lot of their classics in print--you can forget about any kind of a deluxe edition.

A Rap-a-Lot "deluxe edition" would probably consist of the original release, minus a few key tracks with some lurid 15 YEAR ANNIVERSARY EDITION logo obscuring half the cover art.

Rap-a-Lot doesn't even keep a lot of their classics in print--you can forget about any kind of a deluxe edition.

Any thoughts on why?

Are they at least converting the catalog in digital form for the children?

Any thoughts on why?

No idea. They've been putting out great music for close to two decades now and Prince is definitely a pioneer on the business side as well. At the same time, it seems like they've failed to grow as a business in certain ways over the years: they regularly bungle promotion (Devin should be a much bigger artist than he is); their distribution has been very shoddy at points (there is no excuse for Scarface classics to have been wholly unavailable at certain points in the last five years); they do dumb things that endanger their artists' brands (fake cut-n-paste Face albums); and they have failed to maintain their catalog (certain records reappeared in screwed but not regular versions last year--wtf!?).

[color:white]And, yes, I know talking bad about J. Prince is gonna be catnip for Shied.[/color]

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    rumor has it that RAL will remaster and reissue the odd squad and the first big mello album before the end of the summer. unchopped and unscrewed.

but i'll believe it when i see it.

Was Big Mike's Solo album ever on vinyl?

He had a couple--do you mean the first one?

Yes, the first joint.

Yes, the first joint.

Don't know.

But it's got some of the worst cover art in the history of rap albums... do you really need a 12" x 12" image of that?

Yes, the first joint.

Don't know.

But it's got some of the worst cover art in the history of rap albums... do you really need a 12" x 12" image of that?

Haha!! That is terrible.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Just a six track Hot Club Wax sampler and a 12" for "Playa Playa" / "Havin Thangs"

Just a six track Hot Club Wax sampler and a 12" for "Playa Playa" / "Havin Thangs"

Thanx.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    that big mike album from last year was really great

also i'm not so sure the scarface cut n pastes are a bad marketing move in the long run; 1st off they all have some pretty solid (some even classic) joints on them, and second if yr making him into a long-term seller its not a bad idea to go the Pac route, make ppl buy the whole discography on some southern-auteur-genius shit. I mean lets be honest, not too many disposable scarface verses in the cataloge you know?

• Absolutely a beautiful album. This one gets played every few months or so; still remember the shock of hearing the line in "Murder By Reason..." where he talks about killing the guy's father.
    "Beautiful"? That's hilarious...

Speaking of Big Mike, I remember being the only head who really liked the "Till Death Do Us Part" record back when everyone was salty over Willie D's departure. Mike actually did a great job of fitting into the group, and that album's a classic in my book.

if yr making him into a long-term seller its not a bad idea to go the Pac route, make ppl buy the whole discography on some southern-auteur-genius shit.

FACE ISN'T DEAD

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    if yr making him into a long-term seller its not a bad idea to go the Pac route, make ppl buy the whole discography on some southern-auteur-genius shit.

FACE ISN'T DEAD

Exactly... he doesn't make new records anymore AFAIK but he's definitely not on Rap-A-Lot anymore either... I actually enjoyed some of the tracks on that last comp though so I'm not hating... not neccessarily a wise move but a last ditch effort to cash in on his name while Prince still could (I assumed it was to steal sales from that 'The Product' CD)...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

FACE ISN'T DEAD
    i know. we're talking real long term

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

Any thoughts on why?

No idea. They've been putting out great music for close to two decades now and Prince is definitely a pioneer on the business side as well. At the same time, it seems like they've failed to grow as a business in certain ways over the years: they regularly bungle promotion (Devin should be a much bigger artist than he is); their distribution has been very shoddy at points (there is no excuse for Scarface classics to have been wholly unavailable at certain points in the last five years); they do dumb things that endanger their artists' brands (fake cut-n-paste Face albums); and they have failed to maintain their catalog (certain records reappeared in screwed but not regular versions last year--wtf!?).

[color:white]And, yes, I know talking bad about J. Prince is gonna be catnip for Shied.[/color]

You gotta understand that labels like Rap A Lot/No limit/Ruthless/Wild Pitch (I know I'm forgeting a lot of others) suffered when the one stops and indie distrubutors when out of business or dissappeared. I think the only way you will see them reissued again is if someone buys the the rights to some of the back catalog.

Except Rap-A-Lot has always been notorious for having the worst distribution ever.
    I would disagree with your assessment of No Limit and Ruthless both of which had crazy distribution everywhere. Hell there is so much No Limit stuff out there its only worth pennies on the dollar for 99.9% of it. The reason you aren't seeing any reissues of Ruthless Records catalog is that Eazy's wife owns it and won't reissue it.