Global phones?

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I'm leaving for Europe next week and my phone company does not have service there (thanks Verizon!). They told me I could rent a global phone, but it's $1.50 a minute incoming/outgoing. I'm wondering if there's any other options like buying a disposable phone there. Any Euro heads or savvy travellers plaese to help a brother out.

Comments

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    I'm leaving for Europe next week and my phone company does not have service there (thanks Verizon!). They told me I could rent a global phone, but it's $1.50 a minute incoming/outgoing. I'm wondering if there's any other options like buying a disposable phone there.
    Any Euro heads or savvy travellers plaese to help a brother out.

If you have a tri-band phone with a SIM card, you might try just buying some pay-as-you-go minutes on a new SIM when you arrive. If your phone numbers/email addresses/etc are stored in your phones memory, all that info will be available to you when using the phone, though your phone number will change.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I'd just get a disposable phone for while you're there. Virgin Mobile is pretty cheap from what I remember.

It'll also help keep McNulty off the stash.

• D,

you can always pick up a pay-as-you-go / prepaid phone for around ???40, but my guess is that using an Euro mobile phone is gonna cost at least

$1.50 a minute incoming/outgoing.

To call to the USA. Texting is affordable, but the talking is always gonna be cheaper on a landline. Hope that helps,

RC

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    D,

you can always pick up a pay-as-you-go / prepaid phone for around ???40, but my guess is that using an Euro mobile phone is gonna cost at least

$1.50 a minute incoming/outgoing.

To call to the USA. Texting is affordable, but the talking is always gonna be cheaper on a landline. Hope that helps,

RC

Cool, that helps actually. I'm more concerned with being in contact with people over there as I can call home from any landline phone.

I'm looking into t-mobile right now, but anyway it goes I'm gonna be comin' out the pocket

• I'm more concerned with being in contact with people over there as I can call home from any landline phone.
    I'm looking into t-mobile right now, but anyway it goes I'm gonna be comin' out the pocket

Than buying one / seeing if one of the promoters has one lying around that you can use is the way to go.

b/w

Goes without saying that we're expecting a full tour report!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    European cell phones are cracked out, day. it's mega expensive to call landline to cell there. i tried to do it via payphones a lot but nearly lost my mind when my conversations would get cut off after depositing like 5 euro. definitely get a local pay-as-you-go type deal.