SOUL STRUT FITNESS PLAN 2007

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Anybody with me to lose some weight and get in shape??Since my son was born I have put on close to 15 lbs.! Sleepless nights, mass chaos, working hard, etc. has caused me to seek solace in sweets, alcohol, and fast foods. On top of that, the only time I work up a sweat is when I mow the lawn. I'm thinking we should have a collective support group for those who want to get in shape and lose the wight. Who's with me!?

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Anybody with me to lose some weight and get in shape??

Since my son was born I have put on close to 15 lbs.! Sleepless nights, mass chaos, working hard, etc. has caused me to seek solace in sweets, alcohol, and fast foods. On top of that, the only time I work up a sweat is when I mow the lawn.

I'm thinking we should have a collective support group for those who want to get in shape and lose the wight. Who's with me!?

I'm in. We should have a weight loss bet with raers.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

I'm in.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I don't know what you guys are talking about with records and whatever, but I joined the gym a few months ago for the first time in years and I'm feeling better than ever. Elbows unique now. It is a good look to be dropping some pounds in this time.

Dolo wouldn't have it any other way.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    me. ive gained 10 lbs every year for the last three years.

by my calculations, this will make me 490lbs by the time Im 65.

Right now, I am only eating food in salad form.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I don't know what you guys are talking about with records and whatever, but I joined the gym a few months ago for the first time in years and I'm feeling better than ever. Elbows unique now. It is a good look to be dropping some pounds in this time.

Dolo wouldn't have it any other way.

I hear ya. I belonged to a gym for years before I had kids. Baby Kids suck up all your time. I'm about to strap the little dude to my chest and run up mountains. I haven't been this heavy since college and I hate it... but i t takes some major will power to get back out there and get my shit in shape. This thread will be my excersice diary through out the year. I encourage others to do the same. NO MORE CUP CAKES!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I had a good exercise routine going in ampril/may, but I fell off the wagon this week & have just been eating crap. I like getting in 5-10 K a day, but free time is tough to come by. I kinda hate the gym, but I like being outdoors. Hiking/jogging has helped me dropped pounds in the past.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm in.

5 days a week of heavy lifting at my job,
    along with weekly ice hockey and now soccer
    games has not stopped me from putting on 25lbs
    over the past 3 years.

Of course, the 4 hours a night in front of Soul Strut/eBay,
    etc, while I eat sweet n' salty granola bars and ice cream
    doesn't help either.

I WANT 10-15lbs OFF BY THE FOURTH OF JULY

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I like getting in 5-10 K a day

calories?

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Dude I'm with you. Not that I've ever been a bean pole but since I started this job a year ago I've probably put on 20 pounds.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Imperial Stouts are my weakness.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I am so in. I need to work out more but my choice in foods is really the problem. I eat way too much sugar and dairy. How we gonna do this?

yours,
    fatty

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I like getting in 5-10 K a day

calories?

Haha! I wish. My diet can be quite strict. I've been a vegetarian for almost 5 years, and I sometimes jog/exercise with players from the local pro football team & a few former NFL'ers, but I've been lagging the the last year; I'm about 15-20 pounds heavier. Too much pizza & late night eating. Also, waaaaay too much working at the office & not enough physical work.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Too late. I lost around 30 lbs in the last 10 months.

But no cheese, no sugar, no bread of course no potatoes, no pizza... I do not drink alcohol at all, I drink a lot of water, always have a bottle near me. The thing is that you can eat meat, no problem but it should be cooked without grease, without oil, also start eating yogourt natural... and run!

Good luck.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    If you want to lose weight quick get on the stairmaster at level 8 or higher 30 minutes a day.

SHit will fall off you.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I lost 30 pounds in about 6 months by keeping eliminating sweets and fatty food and just lifting weights. Being a vegitarian helped too. It wasn't until I finally got in shape that I started hitting the treadmill.

Once you get serious it will turn into a habit and you won't feel right unless you've worked out.

Start by cutting out all your sugar and lowering/eliminating you dairy. You won't have to do this forever, but you need to do it for a few weeks/months to get the weight off. Just a latee (sp?) can and have 200-300 calories. Switch to black cofee and stop with the foo foo hi calorie drinks. Energy drinks are usually high in calories as well so watch that. Those are fine if your actually compeating or hiking for 6 hours, but you don't need a Red Bull to surf the internet.

Keep you diet simple and clean. Oatmeal/power shake for breakfast. Chicken and veggie sandwich on whole weat for lunch. Chicken/veggies and rice for lunch. Then don't over do it on dinner. Big salad with a side of meat and some fruit. As the day goes on you burn fewer carbs so don't load up at dinner with rice and potatoes. A couple crackers or a piece of toast are enough carbs at night. Have mid morning and mid afternoon protein shakes to curb your appitite. But be shure you read the labels, a lot of these are loaded with sugar and crap. Muscle Milk is a good one. Also, Spirutien. This one is all natural which is great.

Do a lot of cardio and hi rep leg weights. This will burn lots calories. You really don't burn a lot of calories just lifting weights, you need to get that heart rate up and run. Walking on the treadmill doesn't cut it. Also alternate walking for 5 min and running for 3-4 until you get the hang of it.

If you just can't get to the gym buy a home treadmill. It will cost about as much as a year of gym membership. You can usually get a good weight bench with a leg attachment for about $100 and another $100 or so for some good weights and bars. If you have the space at home it's cheaper to make your own gym. This was you can watch your TV and keep an eye on the kids.

You want to really see where you weight is comming from. Keep a note pad with you for a couple days and keep a daily total of you calorie intake. You'll be amazed at how quick your getting to 3000 with cup cakes and red bulls. Most products label there calories, and there are plenty of free calorie counters on the internet if your eating something that's not labeld.

I used to work in a gym so feel free to ask anything you want. I don't know it all, but I know a lot.

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    I've lost 12 pounds in the last 2 months. A little exercise and better eating.

I think the most important thing I've learned is that you don't really lose much weight jogging. Resistance training is the key, repairing and building muscles burns so many more calories, but you don't have to go to the gym to do it. Push-ups and pull ups and the like, mixed in with cardio for endurance and stamina, can get you started.

Obviously cutting out sugars and upping your protein can help you lose weight quickly. I subscribe to the 6 small meals a day thing too. It really fires up your metabolism. Here's my daily diet:

7 a.m. - 2 hard boiled eggs and a glass of non-fat milk.
    10 a.m. - Small serving of fruit
    1 p.m. - There's this great restaurant in NYC called The Pump that serves all food low fat and it's pretty tasty. I usually get a turkey sandwich with vegetables on a whole wheat pita.
    4 p.m. - High protein snack (protein cookie, nuts, etc.)
    7 p.m. - Some protein (beef, chicken, turkey, serving about the size of a deck of cards) with veggies (broccoli, spinach, asparagus, carrots). A good rule of thumb is to avoid white foods (potatoes, pasta, rice). This was the toughest part for me. I'm a Latino, and man, do we love our rice, potatoes, and platanos. But people have noticed the weight loss and even I can begin to see the beginings of a possible 6-pack. When you start to see results, that's when you can focus.

Good luck to everyone with their workouts and diets.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    im really down for this!

prolly should have started this in the winter to be ready for the summer but better late than never right.

i ran the la marathon back in march and told myself id relax for 2 weeks to let my body repair itself, 2 weeks turned into 3 then 4 then into like 10 weeks so im really ready to get out of this sloth-like state.

pumped out some pushups, situps and ran some... probably gonna try to play some pickup basketball this weekend.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    All I can say is I'm 37 and I've stayed at approx. the same weight (between 165-175lbs at 6 feet tall) for the past decade or so. Sure I could stand to lose about 10 lbs., but people generally tell me I'm a skinny dude. I credit a vegan diet (with lots of water and very little sweets/sodas) for staying at a healthy weight, as I get almost no exercise aside from dancing at the club and carrying DJ equipment.

So I can't tell you shit about exercising. But going on a healthy vegan diet could probably help a lot just by itself.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Beat ya to it... I dropped about 20 pounds in the last few months. Just in time for pool season!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    If you want to lose weight quick get on the stairmaster at level 8 or higher 30 minutes a day.

SHit will fall off you.

That's fine if you want to lose lots of muscle along with fat.

Here's an easy start: cut out all carbonated beverages and drink at least two liters of water a day. You'll actually lose excess water weight.

Do some cardio, but also do resistance training to be able to build/maintain lean muscle mass. A pound of fat will burn about 5 calories a day, while a pound of muscle will burn about 50.

I don't have a lot of time outside of my shop, but I find that, at home, I can get a good workout in just 30-60 min of free time. Within that time I can usually fit several sets of push ups, sit ups, various free weight routines, and a couple hundred jumping jacks or stationary running for cardio. I try to alternate between so you're not working the same set of muscles for too long. Keeps me on my toes.

At the gym I usually take an hour and split evenly between weights and cardio - 15 min on the bike, 15 on the treadmill, 30 working around various machines and free weights.

I am blessed to be with a woman who cooks very healthy food at least 3 times a week for dinner... otherwise it would be pizza and burgers for me. Diet is so important and within a week of changing it I felt 10 times better.

My weakness, however, is BEER and SPORTS

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    a couple hundred jumping jacks

Post your workout mix and your workout 'fit or you are soft.

At the gym I rock the ipod. Depending on the day I am having I will put on loft disco or hardcore rapp music.

At home I usually just throw on MTV2.

My outfit is an tattered old t-shirt and gym shorts. I have my t-shirts pre-tattered, however...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I weighed myself at lunch and am 191 lbs. at 6"1. That is slightly overweight.

My goal is 180 lbs. by the end of the August.

I can do this.

loft disco or hardcore rapp music.

"Burn Me Up" b/w "Don't Make"

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

SHit will fall off you.

That's fine if you want to lose lots of muscle along with fat.

That's not entirely true. Your body will burn up muscle because you are not eating properly and it's a muscle is an easy source of protien for your body. It's all realative to what you want to do and how you want to look. If your first goal is to loose the excess weight then start burning it up on the cardio machines. Upping the resistance is what is going to burn the calories. A leasurely jog will basically just maintain the weight you are. You can worry about looking buff later. Your not going to see the muscle under the fat any how. If you are eating good and at least consuming grams of protein equal to your body weight you shouln't loose too much muscle.

If you looking to build muscle your deit is a whole 'nother story. Then you want to start consuming more than you wieght in grams of protein and also upping your carbs/calories. Competative weight lifters can easily consume 5000-8000 calories a day. But they are clean foods that don't have high fat, just high energy conversion.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    babies and work are no excuse, raj... all it takes is 30-45 minutes a day, or even just 3-4 times a week will make a big difference. drink WATER, eat vegetables and say no to alcohol, sex and drugs. whenever you ready to get serious, drive that Lexus down the Northeast Extention to Philly, park it next to mine here at the World Of Beats House Of Pain Exercise Facilities and I WILL WORK YOU SON

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    At the gym I rock the ipod. Depending on the day I am having I will put on loft disco or hardcore rapp music.

At home I usually just throw on MTV2.

My outfit is an tattered old t-shirt and gym shorts. I have my t-shirts pre-tattered, however...

I think I told this one before, but about 12 years ago I had traded my copy of BDP's Live Hardcore Worldwide to my then roommate.

Then I read an interview with Savion Glover where he said it was his number one workout tape (he also said his number one workout track was Redman's "A Million And One Boodah Spots"), and I was like "Damn, I gotta get that back."

File under: Embarassing Episodes of Teenage Fanboyism Revealed

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    wait, why would you say no to sex??

anyway, i've lost 15-20 pounds in the past two months almost entirely by running and watching my diet. I have a bigger build and i've never been a scrawny dude so i haven't really concerned myself too much with lifting or whatever until I at least feel a bit slimmer. I made a switch from running at the gym to running out doors because of the weather and i'm kind of getting used to that; i found being able to precisely measure my distance and time and calories was a really good motivator on the treadmill, so now i'm getting used to running outdoors and staying interested in what i'm doing because lets be real, running is really boring.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    At the gym I usually take an hour and split evenly between weights and cardio - 15 min on the bike, 15 on the treadmill, 30 working around various machines and free weights.

Be sure to do weights BEFORE cardio. No sense wearing yourself out and leaving nothing left in the tank for the lifting portion.

Oh, and cut out simple carbs, dudes. Switch to sweet potatoes, brown rice and whole wheat bread/pasta. It makes a big difference.