Mixer Strut

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I need a new mixer - nothing fancy, as I am not a particularly advanced DJ. I play a couple of private parties here and there and weddings and stuff and I mainly just play songs and blend. What is important to me is sound quality, durability, and a powerful EQ. Can anyone give me the science? Thanks

Comments

• TabneticTabnetic 206 Posts
    if you can afford a Rane TTM 56, you'll never have to buy another one again. Very powerful EQ (full cut across 3 bands) and non-contact magnetic cross-faders and input faders.

on the other hand, in the sub-$200 market, vestax has a decent mixer that also features full-kill EQ's, the 002xl. it also has XLR outputs i think which would help sound quality across a balanced line.

there's a shit ton of mixer choices out there, but it depends if you want to spend more than $500. i'd say there's very little difference in mixers inthe 002xl line, but once you cross the $500 barrier, things get more professional, and reliable.

good luck

• if you go with the Rane make sure that the transform switches are NOT the cheap plastic ones...i had to replace those damn things several times over a 3 year period...plus the Rane plug JS1 or someshit can break pretty easily...just bought a new plug for $25 online....hear vestax has issues with plugs as well, so who knows....

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    the Rane plug JS1 or someshit can break pretty easily...just bought a new plug for $25 online....hear vestax has issues with plugs as well, so who knows....
    The Rane TTM57SL is a standard computer type power cable, which is nice if you lose it or something it super easy/cheap to replace... I have seen all of my friends with TTM56s and the clip always breaks on phone type plug...
    Peace
    Zeb

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I've had a Rane Empath for about 4 years and have absolutely no problems. That one's a bit pricy, but you can take my experience as an endorsement of Rane products in general, which seem to be built like tanks.

Unlike anything built by Numark, which will start crapping out within 6 months of opening the box.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    yea, numark is crap. if money is an issue, i would go on craigslits or ebay and pick up a used vestax 05...doubt you would have to spend more than $150. for a couple hundred dollars more (minimum), i'd go with a used rane 56, 54 or empath.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    the Rane plug JS1 or someshit can break pretty easily...just bought a new plug for $25 online....hear vestax has issues with plugs as well, so who knows....
    The Rane TTM57SL is a standard computer type power cable, which is nice if you lose it or something it super easy/cheap to replace... I have seen all of my friends with TTM56s and the clip always breaks on phone type plug...

Peace
    Zeb

we can move this question into the "SOLVED" column.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    if you can afford a Rane TTM 56, you'll never have to buy another one again. Very powerful EQ (full cut across 3 bands) and non-contact magnetic cross-faders and input faders.

on the other hand, in the sub-$200 market, vestax has a decent mixer that also features full-kill EQ's, the 002xl. it also has XLR outputs i think which would help sound quality across a balanced line.

there's a shit ton of mixer choices out there, but it depends if you want to spend more than $500. i'd say there's very little difference in mixers inthe 002xl line, but once you cross the $500 barrier, things get more professional, and reliable.

good luck

I'm still rocking the TTM-52. It's been great. Hopefully I'll be getting the 56 this month You can pick one up between $600-$700, kinda pricey but it's a tank from everyone i've spoken with.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Peace
    Zeb

we can move this question into the "SOLVED" column.

Either that or just get one of those female/female phone cable adapters, and whenever you have to bring your mixer out of the house, stick the adapter on the end of your power cable. Voila! Instant protection.

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    Pioneer is with the DJM909 right now!
    But, if you don't need the touch screen and all the lovely effects than the Rane joints are by far the best quality and

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    jonny...
    i've had the ttm56 since it came out, and have NO complaints.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Thanks Tom - that's what I'm looking for. Nothing fancy, but I don't want to buy one again for many years... and I want the sound quality to be real good.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Thanks Tom - that's what I'm looking for. Nothing fancy, but I don't want to buy one again for many years... and I want the sound quality to be real good.

J-Peezy,

I was a little hesitant to step to the Rane since I had been pretty happy with my Vestax 05 for yeeeeaaars but since making the investment, I have absolutely no regrets about buying the Rane. It's not cheap but in this case, you're really getting what you paid for. Solid, workhorse mixer with smart features that will lend itself to flexibility for the future.

Cool, thanks Oliver.

One last question, what are people's thoughts on the Urei 2-ch mixer?

• I want the sound quality to be real good.

In this case all your other gear will be important as well - I've got a 05 and recently upgraded my speakers to B&W 602's and also got a Perraux power / pre amp combo, 100w per channel. Had a problem with the pre amp so that was in the shop for like two months during which time I ran the 05 direct into the power amp. Worked fine but the improvement in sound once I got the Perraux pre amp back in the loop was facemelting. Confirmed my suspicions that the sound quality (signal) of the 05 pro is nothing special.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    rane. i have no complaints.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    mr. paycheck:

id avoid the urei as they are being discontinued. as well, the fader caps are much smaller then on nearly every mixer out there. it would take some getting used and you may never find yourself agreeing with them. if you ever used the old numark 1100x they are the same size.

If you are interested in the urei because of the name I would think twice. harmann kardon produces these mixers and ever since HK were bought out some 15 years ago all they have produced is crap. even the newer version of the urei rotary mixer cuts corners. example: instead of being a class A signalpath throughout (like on the old urei) you only have class A components on the outputs. the rest is kinda mediocre (compared to the high standard of an OG urei or a bozak)

I bought a ttm 54 and it lasted me 8 years. I only replaced the crossfader once (I skratch a lot) and would still be using it if I didnt pick up a rane Empath on ebay for 600.

I think the only other option you have aside from a rane is the allen and heath xone:02. it falls short on the eq end, but only because it doesnt do a full kill. the sound is quite nice though. I think of the Aand H sound is a little more "opened up" then the rane, whereas ranes tend to sound punchier to me. both have excellent sound quality and will last a long time. I believe the xone has xlr outs where the 56 does not. overall the 56 would be my recommendation.

bozak - thanks man. See the kill issue is kind of crucial for me because I like to mix reggae. Dubbing like dirt.

It seems like the Rane is the move. I found one for about $600 before shipping. Good deal, right? I'll roll with it.

Hugh - what's up man? Yeah most of my other components are straight. My a/d is motu 828, my monitors are event 20/20, my needles are cool, but my cables probably suck... anyway I am not going mega-audiophile I just don't want CRAP... I ripped uber-rare records on a crap mixer and then sold them, now I am stuck with those rips... anyways, thanks everyone for the input it seems like there is really only one option.

• Mid week steez is whats up!

aka not much, but anyways if you've got the skinny generic RCA cables you might want to mack it up to some ~$20-30 ones, especially for the key 'links' i.e. mixer to amp - I dunno about you but I find myself in audio shops all the time, just check what they've got and go for something that suits / looks allright. No need to go super duper styles. The bottom end of your reggae records will get bit more of a warm swagger if you know what I mean, and once you've got em that'll be it!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

J-Peezy,

I was a little hesitant to step to the Rane since I had been pretty happy with my Vestax 05 for yeeeeaaars but since making the investment, I have absolutely no regrets about buying the Rane. It's not cheap but in this case, you're really getting what you paid for. Solid, workhorse mixer with smart features that will lend itself to flexibility for the future.

This is my story pretty much exactly, except for the part where I buy a used 02 for $160, but still, I'm at least the 2nd owner if not third or forth, shit is a tank. Noticeable jump in sound quality compared to the Vestax too...

Johnny, sounds like youve settled on Rane, and I think thats the move. I had a lot of issues over the years with the 05. I wouldn't necessarily write off Harman (AKG, dbx, Lexicon), but i guess if they're discontinuing the UREI, its prob best to go with the tried and true peoples champion...

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    I believe those companies you mentioned are still in charge of there manufacturing whereas the new urei stuff is made under the harman/ soudcraft brand with the other HK stuff. my info may be incorrect but this is what I was lead to believe.

whatup lucero! Im trying to string together enough gigs to get a lil australian tour together. enough to pay for the flight im hoping.

paycheck -

how do you feel about your converters? and what kind of cart are you using? Im looking into upgrading both. im looking at the apogee minime (a/d with a usb connection) and some form of a moving coil cart. dynovector or benz perhaps.

• whatup lucero! Im trying to string together enough gigs to get a lil australian tour together. enough to pay for the flight im hoping.

Dopeness - if theres anything I can help you with at this end, info wise esp, let me know!