artists that sampled themselves?

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
remixes don't count.scratched in vocals cuts from previous tracks don't count. my question is, are there artists that sampled themselves compositionally/musically? and if so what track samples what track? i always wondered about this...i guess it would seem more common in rock even if not intentional as some people have their favorite chord/combinations...riff wise, i remember kurt cobain commenting on how the intro lick to "rape me" of in utero was a sort of parody of the lick in "smells like teen spirit". however, i'm more interested in hiphop whether such things occured. oh yeah "(song title)" + "part 2" doesn't count. Nas should be slapped for ny state of mind deux as well as the others that did lame sheit like that. peace

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Robert Plant's new band, The Strange Sensations, has a song that samples the drums from "When The Levee Breaks"

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    scratched in vocals cuts from previous tracks don't count.

Damn. I was about to say Mike Jones. Dude can make one whole album out of three 16's.

Herm

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Damn. I was about to say Mike Jones. Dude can make one whole album out of three 16's.

Herm

you think he'll come out with the screwed and chopped remix version of his album?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Herm

Does that mean the "Strictly Business" LP by EPMD doesn't count? I remember when I was 17 getting all twisted trying to figure out which songs on that record came first, since they all seemed to sample each other...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Herm

you think he'll come out with the screwed and chopped remix version of his album?

Already done, it's on the 2CD version.