Sidewalk Chalk Memorial

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Artist Nancy Hiss has embarked on a project to write the names of all dead coalition men and women.The names will thread their way through the fabric of Portland OR.Only last names will be listed to honor the sacrifice of individuals & their families.As you reflect on these names also remember the hundreds of thousands of nameless Iraqis and others who have been scared by this war.http://iraqnamesproject.wordpress.com/http://www.flickr.com/photos/8656662@N07/ For the dead from Oregon she expanded the memorial beyond just a name. On Memorial Day she started at sunrise 5:28am and continued until sunset 9:42pm Why aren't my images posting?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Artist Nancy Hiss has embarked on a project to write the names of all dead coalition men and women.

The names will thread their way through the fabric of Portland OR.

Only last names will be listed to honor the sacrifice of individuals & their families.

As you reflect on these names also remember the hundreds of thousands of nameless Iraqis and others who have been scared by this war.

http://iraqnamesproject.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8656662@N07/

For the dead from Oregon she expanded the memorial beyond just a name.

On Memorial Day she started at sunrise 5:28am and continued until sunset 9:42pm

Why aren't my images posting?

Here you go.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Sunrise Memorial Day

Homeless Veteran stops to talk on Memorial Day. Each year, 2.3 million to 3.5 million people experience homelessness in America. By taking 23% of that range for veterans, that would indicate there are between 529,000 and 840,000 veterans who are homeless at some time during the year.

Thanks.

Nobody has anything nice to say?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Dan,

I'd like to personally thank your lovely wife for her work on this memorial. Nancy's work is both a great honor to our fallen family and friends and a beautiful and human reminder of the consequences of this tragic episode.

Peace,
    Jason

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Nice article in today's Metro section of the Oregonian about Laserwolf's wife, Nancy and her names project. Too bad that the accompanying photos aren't included because there was a good one of Dan.

Drawing notice to war's dead[/b]
    Downtown, name by name, an artist meditates on soldiers fallen in Iraq
    Wednesday, June 06, 2007
    JACQWI CAMPBELL The Oregonian

Nancy Hiss gets down on her knees and draws the names of people she's never met to offer her thanks.

The names, in hopscotch chalk of pink, blue and yellow, are those of U.S. servicemen and women killed in Iraq.

Since Memorial Day and working chronologically, the Marylhurst University art professor has made downtown Portland sidewalks the canvas of her Iraq Names Project.

First came "Aubin," in sky blue, at Southwest Fourth Avenue and Ash Street. The U.S. Marine was killed in a chopper crash March 21, 2003. As of Tuesday, she'd worked her way to First Avenue, and she will keep moving -- along the harbor wall, across the Steel Bridge -- until she reaches Peace Memorial Park in Northeast Portland.

She's gone through more than 360 sticks of chalk and sketched more than 300 names, with thousands to go.

"I think of these people, they're not just names," Hiss says. "I get to go home at night, but they don't get to go back to their families."

The idea formed after Hiss, 51, took part in a discussion on politically motivated art projects during a class she took earlier this year. She opened her sketchbook and penciled "3,500 Dead" and "500 Billion Spent," doodling in some clouds and the words "camouflage," "question marks" and "names."

Names stuck.

While the project comes on the heels of one of the deadliest months of the war for U.S. troops and amid continuing debate in Congress about a timetable for withdrawal, Hiss says there's no underlying message.

"This is about death, not the politics of war," she says.

She uses chalk, a particularly temporary medium in a rainy city, because the symbolism is clear. "We're all mortal. Everything is temporary, so it seemed appropriate."

She chose pastels, she says, to serve as a gentle invitation to take notice. And the white for Oregonians, she says, symbolizes pureness.
    Advertisement

Although well-meaning, the project is technically illegal, says Officer Matt Miller of the Portland Police Bureau's Neighborhood Response Team. Sidewalks are owned by the city, and uninvited renderings on someone else's property -- no matter how fleeting -- qualify as graffiti. No one has complained so far, he said, and there are no plans at this point to take any action.

Hiss, who acknowledges she hadn't sought permission beforehand, views the drawings as a memorial to the dead and a wake-up call for the living.

Steven McQuinn, manager of Platinum Record Lights & Sound, came across "Loyd" and "Lambert" Tuesday morning on his way to work.

"I just saw (the names) today," he said, initially mistaking the childlike renderings as something to do with the Rose Festival.

By mid-afternoon, rain had washed away most of the pink "L" in Loyd. "Lambert," looking more like a cloud heavy with rain, drew one woman to rub her eyes in puzzlement.

But those curious enough to ask often express admiration for the effort, she says.

Hiss has gotten some help along the way, including the dozen or so volunteers who turned out the first day. Most of the volunteers were family and friends, but two Girl Scouts, a skateboarder and a homeless veteran also joined in.

"It says it in all the right ways, while still making it neutral," says Martha Pfanschmidt, a friend and volunteer.

Hiss will be back this morning from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m., and she plans to keep going until she draws the name of every U.S. service member killed since the war began in March 2003.

As of Tuesday, that was 3,494.

"It's sad and physically challenging." Hiss says "But I've started something I'm proud of."

Jacqwi Campbell: 503-294-5946; jacqwicampbell@ news.oregonian.com

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    This is pretty awesome. There's can never be enough of these types of projects, anything that quietly conveys the magnitude of something so huge.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    This project is ... i'm having a hard time finding the word, but important is what i keep coming back to.

War is such a fucking fuck up. I've been rereading a lot of Kurt Vonnegut since he died...What a waste.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    dan, how is nancy holding up? what number is she up to?
    its frustrating for me that the names are in chalk, and not something more permanent. also that they are on portland streets, as opposed to the floors of every mall in america. still, an important reminder for people who just go about their business without much immediate thought that we are at war and people are losing lives daily.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    its frustrating for me that the names are in chalk, and not something more permanent. also that they are on portland streets, as opposed to the floors of every mall in america. still, an important reminder for people who just go about their business without much immediate thought that we are at war and people are losing lives daily.

I think the ephemeral nature of chalk is what makes it powerful. It is a brief, fleeting display...much like a life.

agree on the second part, though- these should be at every mall, SUV bumper, and scrolling across the bottoms of TVs.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Nancy has not copyrighted this telecast. You may begin rebroadcasting at your nearest mall at your earliest convenience. Peace.

Mike, a Veteran and a member of Veterans For Peace, came down and helped chalk Wednesday and Thursday early morning. In this picture you see Canadian naval ships in the background. Navy ships are a big part of the Rose Festival celebration.

As we go about our lives it is easy to forget that there is a war going on and our brothers and sisters are dying. Nancy wanted to do the names project so that she wouldn't forget. The carnival atmosphere of the Rose Festival Family Center contrasts with the reality of the effects of war.

Nancy will be chalking today June 8th 9am - 2pm at harbor wall sidewalk near where it goes under the Burnside Bridge. Sat she will be chalking 11 - 6 and Sun 12 - 5. Come say hello and help chalk.

Here is just about the end of yesterdays work. 9- 13 -03.

Kevin Morehead, from Little Rock Arkansas was days short of his 34th birthday when he died. A veteran of the Afganistan war he was proud of his work and of meeting President Bush.

???If he could have just held out two more weeks,??? his aunt, Ruth Hamilton, said through tears standing in the doorway of the home. ???It???s just so bad. He was just the most wonderful and talented. He???s going to be missed by all of us so much.???

The Moreheads cherish a picture taken in March 2002 of the soldier shaking hands with a shirt-sleeved President Bush at Fort Bragg, N.C. ??? and were passing out copies of the photo to visiting mourners Sept. 12.

Jim Morehead said his son was proud to tell the story of having lunch with Bush at Fort Bragg after giving the president a field demonstration.

The soldier told his father that the president got up from the table, ???and he came back and stuck his head over the table and said, ???Get ready for some more because we???re going to kick their ass,?????? Jim Morehead said.

Morehead???s unit already returned from the Middle East, but the soldier chose to remain behind to help with orientation for their replacements.

http://www.militarycity.com/valor/256779.html

http://iraqnamesproject.wordpress.com/2007/06/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8656662@N07/