Iraq War...

dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I know this could start a long thread...but there are some reports out that Bush met with Blair much earlier than any of us had known where they discussed in privacy starting the war in Iraq through false information (basically create a front for why we should go to war). I guess Bush wanted to finish where his dad left off. Of course, you won't find this on the "un-biased" media outlets but I thought it was worth mentioning.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1593607_3,00.html

http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/21945/

There are a couple more sites out there carrying this but you definetly won't find this on CNN or not even the BBC. I haven't heard anyone here mention it so I thought peeps may be sleeping. I just feel bad for the men and women abroad, risking their lives. I hope they all come home safely.

I also just heard NPR this morning on how reporters were "encouraged" to report the "good news" coming out of Iraq. Its all so very disappointing and sad...

Edited by me...I referenced page 1 instead of page 3

Comments

• The US has always had contingencey plans on file for areas considered "hot spots". Thats why we pay the brain trust up in the five side. Oh..and what is wrong with reporting some of the positive things that are happening in Iraq again? It's not ALL doom and gloom.

• The US has always had contingencey plans on file for areas considered "hot spots". Thats why we pay the brain trust up in the five side. Oh..and what is wrong with reporting some of the positive things that are happening in Iraq again? It's not ALL doom and gloom.

It's almost all "doom and gloom", and soldiers (and civilians) are still getting killed on the reg.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    The US has always had contingencey plans on file for areas considered "hot spots". Thats why we pay the brain trust up in the five side. Oh..and what is wrong with reporting some of the positive things that are happening in Iraq again? It's not ALL doom and gloom.

Apologist.

• There is no doubt about it WAR IS HELL!

• There is no doubt about it WAR IS HELL!

This one is both "HELL" and utter "BULLSHIT".

Look at ole George Bush, worrying himself to sleep about those little fetuses while he sends adults to their deaths on a daily basis. Good man, that.

There is no doubt about it A ONE-SIDED WAR IS HELL!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    The US has always had contingencey plans on file for areas considered "hot spots". Thats why we pay the brain trust up in the five side. Oh..and what is wrong with reporting some of the positive things that are happening in Iraq again? It's not ALL doom and gloom.

It's almost all "doom and gloom", and soldiers (and civilians) are still getting killed on the reg.

Yea, I didn't know their was a good side. The news I hear every day is "dead dead dead".

The news really hasn't ever been know to report good things on any front. Basically evernight it's "car crash, murder, rape, company fires everyone and steals your money......now hears a chimp giving a cat a bath awwwwww so cute.....now lock your doors until you ready to go to work or shop you fucking sheep!"

It's a big part of the reason people hate rap. The news never reports when some rapper gives to charity or helps out, just when they have beef.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Apologist.

Cheerleading the Apocalypse -- Location

What's the prerequisite definition for a Hot Spot I wonder?

Oil/Gas in abundance?
    Friendly despots?
    Decades of deep undercover ops/private-govt-agency work?
    Plenty of underemployed men who might be handy with a rocket launcher?
    Ability to station 1-2 aircraft carriers within strike range?

check, check, check, check, check. Let's Roll!

You pay your brains trust to think for you? Well, let me tell you they've been ripping you off.

• Lets spin kumbaya and burn the flag.

Shut the fuck up already.

• You pay your brains trust to think for you? Well, let me tell you they've been ripping you off.

i'm betting you pay taxes, too.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

You pay your brains trust to think for you? Well, let me tell you they've been ripping you off.

Federal income taxes only pay the money the US is indebted to world bankers. The IRS isn't even a part of the federal government. All functions of the federal government are actually financed from what are called "off-budget" sources.

Way to succinctly articulate yourself...represent the intelligentsia Bro!

Way to succinctly articulate yourself...represent the intelligentsia Bro!

If i wasn't presented with such an infantile and condescending provocation, I may have been a little bit more eloquent on the reply. Maybe next time.

• You pay your brains trust to think for you? Well, let me tell you they've been ripping you off.

Federal income taxes only pay the money the US is indebted to world bankers. The IRS isn't even a part of the federal government. All functions of the federal government are actually financed from what are called "off-budget" sources.

what the hell are you talking about dude? the irs is a part of the dept. of the treasury, last time i checked, it was still part of the federal govt..

as far as actual federal income tax, only about 20% is going to pay interest on the debt and past military (or your world bankers). check out warresisters.org for some good facts on that.

the federal govt. is 100% financed by income tax and tresaury bond sales (future income taxes). currently only iraq & afganistan are big off budget items.

you are talking out your ass. do the work.

• There are a couple more sites out there carrying this but you definetly won't find this on CNN or not even the BBC.

this is just starting to warm up here in the US, 6 weeks after the memo leaked. It is, in fact, on CNN's web page - mainly because congressman John Conyers' is urging for an official inquery.

CNN

SF Chronicle

I predict that in the coming weeks this will be all over the major networks and news web sites. Whether it will actually bring BushCo to it's knees has yet to be seen.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

There are a couple more sites out there carrying this but you definetly won't find this on CNN or not even the BBC.

this is just starting to warm up here in the US, 6 weeks after the memo leaked. It is, in fact, on CNN's web page - mainly because congressman John Conyers' is urging for an official inquery.

CNN

SF Chronicle

I predict that in the coming weeks this will be all over the major networks and news web sites. Whether it will actually bring BushCo to it's knees has yet to be seen.

Well, this couldn't hurt, either.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Lets spin kumbaya and burn the flag.

A black-and-white comment to suit your avatar. Jesus - you rah-rah war types are so all-or-nothing.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    it just takes one congresscritter to start the impeachment process... (or so I've heard - I'm not exactly sure)

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    it just takes one congresscritter to start the impeachment process... (or so I've heard - I'm not exactly sure)

Sort of, yeah, but impeachment, no matter how justified, won't happen to Bush because Republicans control the House of Representatives, so articles of impeachment would never make it out of the House.

A black-and-white comment to suit your avatar. Jesus - you rah-rah war types are so all-or-nothing.

"You label me, I label you"

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Lets spin kumbaya and burn the flag.

"You label me, I label you"

I label you from your comments. You believe that this war is necessary and that those opposed to your views are wont to "spin kumbaya and burn the flag." That's pretty much the "with us or against us" party-line diatribe we've heard for three years. The "burn the flag" comment isn't really as tounge-in-cheek as you think it is.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    ...and at my parties, we only spin The Monks and burn the Nazi flag. My brother died in Vietnam.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

VS.

Do your guys got braeks?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I know this could start a long thread...but there are some reports out that Bush met with Blair much earlier than any of us had known where they discussed in privacy starting the war in Iraq through false information (basically create a front for why we should go to war). I guess Bush wanted to finish where his dad left off. Of course, you won't find this on the "un-biased" media outlets but I thought it was worth mentioning.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1593607_3,00.html

http://www.alternet.org/waroniraq/21945/

There are a couple more sites out there carrying this but you definetly won't find this on CNN or not even the BBC. I haven't heard anyone here mention it so I thought peeps may be sleeping. I just feel bad for the men and women abroad, risking their lives. I hope they all come home safely.

I also just heard NPR this morning on how reporters were "encouraged" to report the "good news" coming out of Iraq. Its all so very disappointing and sad...

Edited by me...I referenced page 1 instead of page 3

I posted a message about this when the memos were first revealed by the London Times

The report on NPR about how reporters were encouraged to repor the good news, was about the Voice of America, not reporters at large

Because the Democrats just had a meeting about this and gave a petition to the White House to investigate the memos they are in fact getting media coverage in the U.S. The Washington Post I believe ran an article about it when it was first aired in England and they, along with the LA Times have had several follow up reports. My local paper, the SF Chronical mentioned it on the front page and has had several separte pieces on it as well.

The News Hour on PBS had a piece on this last night as well because of the Democrats' meeting.

Doesn't mean it'll really change anyone's opinion. Bush has a 47% approval rating and approval for the war is at a pretty low level right now according to a NY Times Poll just released this week. The daily reports of death and bombing affect the average American more these days than this report, although it makes clear what many anti-war critics pointed out before things jumped off, namely that the U.S. was intent on war from the get go.