Family members contacting you...

pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I know this topic has come up before, but I just wanted the struts opinion.I recently got this email:
Hi PJ,My name is Paola Filinesi and by pure coincidence I found out that on the 22nd of October 2006's WMFO Radio Show my father's band was included!!! The track I am referring to, is:Claudio and the Skyrockets Combo --Papas Got A Brand New Bag The "Skyrockets Combo" was founded in Cairo ,Egypt in the early 50s and was the first rock and roll band of that country.My father Beppi Filinesi (Saxophone) was the leader of the band until the late 60s.He passed away in 1996 at the age of 70. The reason I am writing this e-mail is ,first of all to thank you for making this band more widely known by obviously appreciating the kind of music they played.Second, to kindly ask you, ( due to a fire that happened a few years ago, we don't have any records (vinyl) or tapes of my father's recordings) if it would be possible to purchase a copy of the above mentioned single. I am attaching a photograph of the "Skyrockets Combo" from one of their performances during those days. Hoping to hear from you soon, Thank you again,Paola Filinesi
Here is the pic of the group:and the record in question:the audio: Papa's Got A Brand New BagI got the 45 cause its on a greek label (panvox) and my friend goes over to Greece alot. He said that they aren't easy to find, and that this one in particular is difficult. I like it mostly for the James Brown connection, I am not crazy about the music. But I still like throwing it in JamesBrown djsets to trip people up a bit.So what do you guys think? Is this a scam? Seems real enough to me....how would you handle the situation? thanks for any advice.-pjwww.galacticfractures.com

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I get stuff like on various occasions, I usually assume it's legit though I would stop short of selling a personal copy of a record but sending a recording through seems a cool thing to do.

Most times, folks don't ask though. So far, I've had Eddie Fisher's son, the daughter of one of the Third Wave sisters and Lynn Marino herself. Plus a woman who shared the same hairdresser as Linda Lyndell and helped put me in touch with her.

• sell it. or if you just dont want to let it go..maybe politely offer to make a quality recording(mp3? cd with scan of OG cover/label?)..i'd prob have to give it up to him, though...granted you trust that he is fo real..and not faux real

• oops..sorry to basically repeat the previous post..didnt see it.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I get stuff like on various occasions, I usually assume it's legit though I would stop short of selling a personal copy of a record

yeah, I agree. I get stuff like this too through Waxidermy. A couple times I've sent records I had extras of (that were not super valuable)... otherwise they need to

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    sell it. or if you just dont want to let it go..maybe politely offer to make a quality recording(mp3? cd with scan of OG cover/label?)..

this is what i try to do. make a real nice copy on cd with label/jacket graphics. i done this so many times and while its not the og vinyl the artist/family are usually overly happy.

you should holler and ask if they did other recordings or have other records/music memorabilia lying around the house that they have extras of. works for me... half of my local 45 collection came from local musicians who held onto stuff.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Perhaps just send her this link.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    So what do you guys think? Is this a scam? Seems real enough to me....how would you handle the situation?

Last summer I won a record on eBay and was immediatly contacted by the person I outbid talking about how it was his uncle's record who had passed, etc.

Then it was:

"hey there
    i forgot to make a counter offer last time we corresponded
    how about 40 plus shipping?"

I called him out because of his other similar purchases and that it made no sense for him to bid a maximum of $20 on a record he'd been searching "10+" years for. I asked him for concrete evidence of their relationship and was greeted the next morning by:

"ok dicktective thanks anyway"

I would ask that they provide you with some sort of verification before you give the record away. It's a fair request.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    ...how would you handle the situation?
    Make them pay $$$.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    So far, I've had Eddie Fisher's son, the daughter of one of the Third Wave sisters and Lynn Marino herself. Plus a woman who shared the same hairdresser as Linda Lyndell and helped put me in touch with her.

WHAT'S FUCKING WITH CHARLI BALTIMORE'S COUSIN?

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

I called him out because of his other similar purchases and that it made no sense for him to bid a maximum of $20 on a record he'd been searching "10+" years for. I asked him for concrete evidence of their relationship and was greeted the next morning by:

"ok dicktective thanks anyway"

Thats funny... he did the math on your musical taste!

Drew Nice Basketballllllllllll...