Question for Mac dual-boot G4 headz: clean install

SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Apple Mac G4 headz:I've got a problem with my G4 that may require what Apple Tech Support call a "clean" restore of OS9 on the partition that is causing me trouble (Finder error type 10, freeze-ups immediately after re-booting system). My computer appears to be unusable if not boot up from the Mac OS boot CD. The problem is that I have a lot of data that has not been backed up as well as a gang of software that I am not really looking forward to re-installing. The question for Mac headz is this: Does a clean restore eliminate everything that was on the drive, or does it only replace Mac OS files? Many many thanks in advance,SG

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    yeah a clean install erases that partition and installs the os on it. I just had to do this very same thing yesterday, although it was my own fault. but yeah...that'll erase errythang.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    you can save your whole hard drive to a folder though. i think it should give you this option during the process.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    get an external harddrive and copy your user folder over to there. then when you configure your new install with the same username, copy it back. easy enough.

carbon copy cloner works good too.

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    ya the external hard drive approach works well, then just return the shit when your done..

or depending on the file sizes, burn everything to CD-Rs/DVD-Rs if you want an easy (but long) way out. this is also good to hold on to for future problems, if they were to happen

but ive seen that error at work here before, and a clean install is the only medication ive found that works.

good luck!

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    ya the external hard drive approach works well, then just return the shit when your done..

or depending on the file sizes, burn everything to CD-Rs/DVD-Rs if you want an easy (but long) way out. this is also good to hold on to for future problems, if they were to happen

but ive seen that error at work here before, and a clean install is the only medication ive found that works.

good luck!

Thanks to all of you for the Mac Ka-Knowledge. I think I'll be going the CD-R route before doing the clean install, which is not ideal but sounds necessary based on all the feedback I got on this board and in the real world.

I'm not looking forward to reinstalling all the software, though (challenge/response copy protection is bullshit! ).

SG