microcassettes - reliving my life from 8 years ago

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I used to walk around with a microcassette recorder and record stuff all the time. I am sitting here recording the cassettes into pro tools. It's so weird because it's like reliving my life in 1999. I was going to school at UCB at the time. I originally bought the microcassette recorder to record lectures, but I just ended up recording the most random stuff. It is the weirdest mix of my friend Dave freeestyling, answering machine messages, street noises, my friends talking, street sax players, BART announcements, etc.I would record tv whenever something seemed funny too. There is a David Letterman top 10 list with Barry White reading things that sound better when spoken by Barry White. Number one was "Oprah." There's a Jenny Jones episode with a rapper named "Blazin' Caucasian."It's really weird to listen to it because I can't see anything, so I have to figure out what it is and where it came from. Some of them take me a really long time to figure out. It's like a photo album, but just sound. Anybody else do anything like this? I wonder if I'll listen to this when I am 50 and laugh. I wish I recorded more. The funniest part is that my voice is almost never on it. I hate listening to myself and I guess I hit stop whenever I opened my mouth. I even recorded the audio from a phonebashers video. Does anyone remember them? It was very hard to watch on dial up back in 99. It probably took 10 minutes to load the video.

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    technology is all becuase of the aliens, mang. (ie pro tools)

I rock microcasettes on my earrings and necklaces...like what.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I wish I could find those old tapes of me singing in elementry/middle school...I used to use a stapler(the coil) to makes sounds while I sang over it. I was a very strange child.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    the best part is now I can email all these people who left these embarassing messages on my answering machine and make them listen to them.

I'll post some of the good ones soon.

• hugh_lucerohugh_lucero 485 Posts
    I've got a few of those tapes from an old answering machine - I used to tuck them away when a crazy friend would leave these bugged out freestyles, no player though so its been 8 years since I heard them as well coincidentially!