Alright! What your favorite type of Sushi!

MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Alright! What your favorite type of Sushi and what do you like to put on it? Gourmet or Traditional? Any Uni Lovers?

Comments

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Spicy Scallop Roll
    Spider Roll
    Double Punch
    Spicy Tuna Roll
    Yellowtail Inside Out, Etc..

• Volcano roll
    Spicy eel roll
    Soft shell crab roll
    Mexican roll

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Saba

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I get down with the uni... I'm not a big fan of the shrimp (ebi?) too buttery in the mouth. I usually stick with the classics, but I'm trying to branch out, and have had some surprisingly delicious ones, like a seaweed roll - no fish, just like a little salad all wrapped up. The greatest meal involving sushi I have ever eaten was at Tojo's in Vancouver - omikaze style, where they just keep bringing you food (and great stuff too, like cod cheeks, barely seared tuna, black cod with a sour plum sauce... drool) until the waitress says "we will now bring ice cream."

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    FUGU!!!!

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    I like makeral and toro and albacore. They make this awesome roll at the spot by my house called the "broadway roll" (joint is on Broadway) it's spicy!

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    FUGU!!!!

You got balls! Chan have you tried FUGU? To risky for my taste!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    FUGU!!!!

You got balls! Chan have you tried FUGU? To risky for my taste!

Yes Mango, I have tried fugu. Usually it is only eaten in the winter and you go to a restaurant that specializes in fugu. You have a multi course dinner with fugu in all the courses. Fugu sashimi sliced VERY thin and arranged like a Chrysanthemum flower as shown in the picture above, fugu soup, fugu stew, etc. If you go to a good fugu spot it is typically around $300.00 USD per person for the multi course dinner. You can ask the chef to let a little bit of the poison get on the sashimi and your lips get numb when you eat it!!!!! It is very safe to eat fugu in restaurants in Japan. There are only a small number of chefs that are allowed to prepare it. They are licensed by the government and are very well trained. They have a special locked garbage can that is similar to a hazardous waste container where they dispose of the toxic parts of the fish. The poison is odorless and colorless so they REALLY have to know what they are doing when they clean the fish. A number of people die every year in Japan from eating fugu, but not in restaurants. These are people that catch fugu while fishing and think they can clean it for sashimi when they get home. NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Leave that to the pros.

Outside of a fugu restaurant

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    how about that sumo wrestler (or operah singer I can't remember which) who at too much of the sashimi w/ the numbing thing and died? That shit was profesionally prepared. He just feasted on it all night and ingested enogh of the poison to kill him.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts

Outside of a fugu restaurant

Chan! What up doggie! What about the story of the man that died from eating sushi and died from parasites in his brian is that true? Maybe I should put that up for all to see?

• this spot in california was dope, i think it was called edomasa. had something called the baltimore roll. I thought it would be pigeon shit wrapped in newspaper.

seriously tho...
    unagi (eel) is my jam as well as a good rainbow roll. At this korean joint i used to work at my boss made a mean white kim-chi roll.