Who had the better horn arrangements...FELA OR JB?

ishnock_baptisteishnock_baptiste 90 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
They both had the same type of band setup : A Funky drummer, dancers and a great horn section. However, Fela's content was a lot stronger, because he was literally fighting the Nigeria government and singing about it in his songs. JB was no slouch with his content, though. He raised the consciousness of a lot of young, black youths with "Im black and Im proud".Now, there are so many ways you can have a FELA/JB battle ( however, there is no competition when it comes to the drummer, TONY ALLEN hands down), but I think it all has to start with the horn section, because they both had a huge, well arranged horn section. Most people will say blasphemy when it comes to comparing or putting any horn section up against maceo parker and fred wesley, however, listen to the horn play on Fela's "black man cry" and "expensive shit", and I gurantee your eyebrow would raise from the terrific horn play. MY choice: the jbs.. maceo and fred came up with horn rhythms that are just too memorable.....

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Strangely enough, my favorite JB's horn arrangement
    is just a note-for-note transcription of an Isley
    Brothers song, AKA "The Grunt." Crazy, huh?

• yeah...I have never heard anyone mention that song as far as horn arrangements. I have to listen to it again.

pass the peas is mine...funky good time is up there as well

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Most people will say blasphemy

but i'd have to agree, as much as i dig on the jb's, many of their classic joints all had basically the same horn solos.. that probably stems from lps that were cut from the same session. imo, maceo's solo releases were the most inventive. i had read somewhere that he had a hard time playing on the 'one' and once he was removed from james' conducting, he seemed to create far more interesting material..

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    Strangely enough, my favorite JB's horn arrangement
    is just a note-for-note transcription of an Isley
    Brothers song, AKA "The Grunt." Crazy, huh?

• Special_EdSpecial_Ed 315 Posts
    Why are we even comparing them? Who gives a fuck?

Both bands were amazing revolutionary black artists in thier perspective parts of the planet.

Enough said.

• They both had the same type of band setup : A Funky drummer, dancers and a great horn section.

However, Fela's content was a lot stronger, because he was literally fighting the Nigeria government and singing about it in his songs.

JB was no slouch with his content, though. He raised the consciousness of a lot of young, black youths with "Im black and Im proud".

Now, there are so many ways you can have a FELA/JB battle ( however, there is no competition when it comes to the drummer, TONY ALLEN hands down), but I think it all has to start with the horn section, because they both had a huge, well arranged horn section.

Most people will say blasphemy when it comes to comparing or putting any horn section up against maceo parker and fred wesley, however, listen to the horn play on Fela's "black man cry" and "expensive shit", and I gurantee your eyebrow would raise from the terrific horn play.

MY choice: the jbs.. maceo and fred came up with horn rhythms that are just too memorable.....

too tough. i have written like 5 replies to this and they keep contradicting each other. they are both so funking tight.

• Why are we even comparing them? Who gives a fuck?

Both bands were amazing revolutionary black artists in thier perspective parts of the planet.

Enough said.

why you gotta be all grouchy about it? we compare as a form of appreciation. you already know that tho.

roforofo fight has some of my favorite horns. I like the frantic stuff. also love the baritone sax elements that fela used. did JB ever mess with that?

my favorite jb horns might be on "monaurail", which is also pretty much jacked from B.T.Exchange's "Express", so I don't know what that says...

• They both had the same type of band setup : A Funky drummer, dancers and a great horn section.

However, Fela's content was a lot stronger, because he was literally fighting the Nigeria government and singing about it in his songs.

JB was no slouch with his content, though. He raised the consciousness of a lot of young, black youths with "Im black and Im proud".

Now, there are so many ways you can have a FELA/JB battle ( however, there is no competition when it comes to the drummer, TONY ALLEN hands down), but I think it all has to start with the horn section, because they both had a huge, well arranged horn section.

Most people will say blasphemy when it comes to comparing or putting any horn section up against maceo parker and fred wesley, however, listen to the horn play on Fela's "black man cry" and "expensive shit", and I gurantee your eyebrow would raise from the terrific horn play.

MY choice: the jbs.. maceo and fred came up with horn rhythms that are just too memorable.....

too tough. i have written like 5 replies to this and they keep contradicting each other. they are both so funking tight.

very tough....1 and 1a.....

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

Now, there are so many ways you can have a FELA/JB battle ( however, there is no competition when it comes to the drummer, TONY ALLEN hands down)

I don't know about that one... Although it would be fun to see a drum battle between Jabo or Clyde vs. Tony. But music like this shouldn't be compared..it should be enjoyed. It's like asking who could kick who's ass Bruce Lee or [insert new martial artist/boxer/wrestler] instead of just enjoying what they bring to their disciplines

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    It's pretty much honestly a draw in my book but at least Fred & Maceo's horns were tuned!!! Lol.......

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    It's pretty much honestly a draw in my book but at least Fred & Maceo's hirns were tuned!!! Lol.......

ha! thats why I like the Fela horns over the JBs, I absolutely LOVE the off kilter, phasing in and out of key horns found on African and Caribbean recordings...sounds other worldly to me

• It's like the battle of the dusties, when herb kent( chicago dj) use to put soul musicians up against eash other...gwen guthrie vs sharon redd.....the meters vs rare earth...micheal jackson vs prince ...etc

That's all this is, just a friendly horn section battle.

Im black and Im proud vs ITT

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Fela takes the cake for me, I love when the horns almost sound "evil", like when they jump out and attack the listener on Expensive shit and the like. Too dope. JB wins the guitar battle though. Those super fast two-note lines dancing around the drum beat... Oooh.

the meters vs rare earth

Now THAT'S a tough decision!