VANCOUVER - WHAT'S GOOD?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Sorry, I posted this about a month ago- but I cant find it?Anyway- I'm headin to a bachelor party this weekend coming up. What bars/clubs/restaurants/neighborhoods should I hit up? Where's the cool parK? Is it true about these "coffee shops"?Holla at me Northwesterners!

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    kintaro ramen

go on saturday for their forest fire ramen special.

lumiere

fine dining, very on point.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    kintaro ramen

lumiere

TThank you- they both look great. How about for some straight up boozin and debaucherous behavior?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    kintaro ramen

lumiere

TThank you- they both look great. How about for some straight up boozin and debaucherous behavior?

Aser can't help you there. He only frequents top establishments with a French trained sommelier and a proper kitchen staff.

• JiggamofoJiggamofo 42 Posts
    Stay away from Granville St. Clubs, unless you like gibrondos and frosted tips. (Except Thurs. at Republic), Shine is good on Mondays, Celebrities on Tuesdays, Section 3 on Fridays, Royal Unicorn on Saturday, Chill Winstons has a good daytime patio and Salt is a half block away for meat/cheese/wine/charcuterie, Karaoke Everydays. (Lumiere is alright, but Parkside and Aurora are better and more reasonable) Sushi is all business at Kadoya (Davie between burrard and thurlow). Fuck I could go on for days, just lemme know if there's anything further you want, specifics wise.

Stay away from Granville St. Clubs, unless you like gibrondos and frosted tips. (Except Thurs. at Republic), Shine is good on Mondays, Celebrities on Tuesdays, Section 3 on Fridays, Royal Unicorn on Saturday, Chill Winstons has a good daytime patio and Salt is a half block away for meat/cheese/wine/charcuterie, Karaoke Everydays. (Lumiere is alright, but Parkside and Aurora are better and more reasonable) Sushi is all business at Kadoya (Davie between burrard and thurlow). Fuck I could go on for days, just lemme know if there's anything further you want, specifics wise.

Thank you- this is all good! What's a good part of town to bar-hop afternoon/early evening style? How about these "coffee shops"? Agan, i'm on a bachelor party.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Man I'm going to be in Vancouver mid July.

Where's the raer Canadian heat kept?

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

This guy is on point, who are you?

I've been loving the Six Acres (across from Chill Winstons), huge beer menu of that real good stuff. You might see me at Blakes next door drink coffee/tea. It's been beautiful this week, you'll have a blast! Just stay away from Granville fri/sat nights and you're gold.

• tjamestjames 156 Posts

Hey Pony, do you have a weekly in Vancouver? If not regularly how about something during the week of August 19 - 25 - anything?
    Also, really enjoying the May 29th One Day Later installment!

tjames

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Hey Pony, do you have a weekly in Vancouver? If not regularly how about something during the week of August 19 - 25 - anything?
    Also, really enjoying the May 29th One Day Later installment!

tjames

I don't spin too much, but I play at the Bayside Lounge (Davie & Denman) on Thursdays, it's pretty chill, get to break out the weird records for that one.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    How about these "coffee shops"? Agan, i'm on a bachelor party.

yes what they say is true, ive been to the one near the crackhead street

you roll up in there (what a pun) sit at a table roll a spliff and smoke it up (while ordering some bio fruit smoothie)

enjoy the good times and beautiful city..and take some time to enjoy the nature if you can extend your vacation

seriously

How about these "coffee shops"? Agan, i'm on a bachelor party.

yes what they say is true, ive been to the one near the crackhead street

you roll up in there (what a pun) sit at a table roll a spliff and smoke it up (while ordering some bio fruit smoothie)

Forgive my ignorance but you can't acctually order "coffee"- like Amsterdam- right?

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    its not amsterdam; don;t expect to go to a coffee shop and order a reefer with your cappuccino. stay away from street dealers. one of the van strutters should hook you up.

the records are in brian's wharehouse but he is nuts and thinks everything he owns is worth 20 bucks. its a digging odyessy there, delay will attest to that.

best thing you can do in vancouver is just be outdoors. i miss van. have a great time there.

• cnbagrrlcnbagrrl 11 Posts
    ok. amsterdam cafe is this "coffee shop" you're looking for...it's on hastings at cambie street.you can't order coffee there but you can find it if you catch. after you're finished there you're not far from chill winston's and six acres. another amazing joint to check out in that same are is the irish heather, they're a cute little irish pub with a solarium in the back to hang out and drink the drank. you can bump around that area [gastown] all day if you want.
    granville is played out and not a good look on the weekends. sometimes shows roll through and are aight during the week.
    a good sight to check out and read about all the foodies and goodies is:
    http://www.straight.com/
    you can look up dining in every part of the city there and they list the price level/entertainment/etc...
    commercial drive also has a bunch of spots to hit for food and drink and can be a fun early evening bar hop adventure. but there are hippies here so don't hate.

umm...bayside where pony's at is at the heart of english bay and offers other local watering holes, good seafood [tanpopo is all you can eat sushi right by there], and of course the beach! and stanley park if you're feeling woodsey.

hit me up again if you need more.
    ps-lumiere is ok but not worth it all if you ask me. there are plenty of other spots that aren't as far out and can be better...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    best thing you can do in vancouver is just be outdoors. i miss van. have a great time there.

When it's as nice out as it is now, you really need to walk the Sea Wall with your girl/friends.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    irish pub with a solarium

the irish heather

hey ch*nd*l, how have you been! when you coming out to england?

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

the records are in brian's wharehouse but he is nuts and thinks everything he owns is worth 20 bucks. its a digging odyessy there, delay will attest to that.

Is it worth hitting up?

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    IMHO, the best restaurant in Vancouver is Vij's. Always a good meal there, and even the waiting is pleasant, with Vij floating around in his man sari offering everyone snacks... I also really enjoyed the izakaya at Guu.

Thanks ya'll! Good stuff! One more thing - West Vancouver? Should I bother with that part of town? Again- bachelor party.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Thanks ya'll! Good stuff! One more thing - West Vancouver? Should I bother with that part of town? Again- bachelor party.

Like across the bridge West Van? No, maybe for a drive or something. The West-end however is really nice, English Bay is nessesary.

Dude, it's crazy hot here today, bring shorts

WRECK BEACH WHUT!

bring shorts

WRECK BEACH WHUT!

A-IGHT!

• JiggamofoJiggamofo 42 Posts
    If your party wants to get mad bonkers go to Aloha Dave at Wreck, he's got all the goods and the best fung in town, look for the middleage already tanned naked tiedyed sari durag dude, oh wait that's half the people down there . Oh and for peelers, got to brandi's (cost for quality). Pony does some good shit down at bayside too love the spot and great view.

• cnbagrrlcnbagrrl 11 Posts
    IMHO, the best restaurant in Vancouver is Vij's. Always a good meal there, and even the waiting is pleasant, with Vij floating around in his man sari offering everyone snacks... I also really enjoyed the izakaya at Guu.

on point. vij's is the best indian in town. hands down.
    guu is guuuuu-d! robson street is where it's at, not gastown.

west van is meh but if you go as far as horseshoe bay and lion's bay then you're in for some really nice views. islands and ocean. if you have time to drive out there it's gorgeous. but english bay has got the goods, including the seawall.

brian's warehouse is huge-mungous, delay does attest to that. we hit it up together and i felt lost, but he was in exploring territory. it seemed pricey, but he knows his collection well, and there were a hole swack of 45's we didn't even really hit up because he has SO MUCH!

no*h!!!!! things are good. i'm moving to toronto in a week so england won't be too far off! hopefully you plan on staying there for a bit. might take me a hot second to gather funds for that kind of trip. but i am coming. don't you worry 'bout that.

good call on the shorts. HOT STUFF OUT HERE!

have a good time.