Cubase help.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
How do I set Cubase up to record only the incoming signal and NOT the playback audio? I recorded one track and when I try to record anything on the second track it keeps overdubbing what I've already recorded. So say I record an instrumental on track 1 then I record an acapella on track 2. When I playback ONLY track 2 I'm hearing the acapella with track 1's instrumental in the background. I'm sure hoping this is an easy fix, but to an atechnichal, short-tempered fool like myself this shit is frustrating!!!Thanks in advance, hoLmeses.Herm

Comments

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I believe it has something to do with setting the ins and outs of what you want to record. In the settings for in and out, select the one you need and it should only record what's physically coming in. It may also have something to do with your monitoring/routing setup, especially if there are mixers involved.

When all else fails, mess with the preferences menu!

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    It may also have something to do with your monitoring/routing setup, especially if there are mixers involved.

I would guess that the problem would relate to monitoring/routing. I teach the production course at my radio station and this ends up being a pretty common issue.

I assume that you want to hear what is on track 1 while you are recording track 2. Now, I have no idea what you have for a setup ... but at our radio station, the computer is set up to record off of the "Program" bus (which is basically the main output people use for broadcasting/listening).

So, someone will record something on Track 1. Then, to hear what they've recorded, they'll route the computer audio into the main output (which is what the computer records from) Then, they'll route their mic or whatever to the same output/bus. When they record, the computer will record everything that is coming through the Program bus (which includes both the Track 1 playback and the new audio for Track 2).

The key is to make sure that only what you want recording is going through the main "bus". In order to hear both the Track 1 playback AND what you are recording onto Track 2, you route both of those to whatever bus you monitor off of. So the audio being recorded onto Track 2 is sent to 2 places (the main recording bus and the monitoring bus) while the computer playback is only sent to 1 place (to the monitor "bus").

Because we likely work with completely different equipment, I'm sure the above might be a little confusing. What do you use for an audio interface? When you go into Devices/Device Setup/VST multitrack, is your interface selected for both input and output? If so, then your problem has to be something like what I'm describing above (in other words, Cubase is not recording Track 1 audio directly from the computer ... the audio is somehow being channeled out into your interface and then back into the channel you are recording on).

If you don't figure it out, feel free to fire more questions.