28 Weeks Later (Movie-strut)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I decided to go see this on a whim. One of the most perturbing films I've seen in a long time, in terms of it being a genuinely uncomfortable viewing experience. The post-9/11, anti-American subtext was pretty striking.All things said, I enjoyed it (well, besides the fact that I wish I could forget I saw it) but my only beef is that some of the plot was contrived as fuck. People who've seen it can probably guess what I'm talking about.That said, "28 Months Later?"

Comments

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Caught this last week and have thought it was excellent, even the my other half enjoyed it and she usually hates "horror" films...

• i saw this last week and had to close my eyes for most of it -- not because of the zombies -- but because of the handheld pendulum zoom cam action and the edits every .03 seconds... i just can't take that shit... my brain can't process visuals that quick -- i don't think anyone's can. unfortunately, it seems like it's becoming the norm as far as action/horror films go.

if any of y'all are gonna make a movie: slow down the cuts, and if yr gonna do the handheld thing... nice long medium shots...

robert carlyle was good, though... not as good as in "ravenous" (another "zombie" movie, but way better), but good.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    SPOILER:

i liked it until begby became 'vendetta zombie'.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

i saw this last week and had to close my eyes for most of it -- not because of the zombies -- but because of the handheld pendulum zoom cam action and the edits every .03 seconds... i just can't take that shit... my brain can't process visuals that quick -- i don't think anyone's can. unfortunately, it seems like it's becoming the norm as far as action/horror films go.

I had the same beef with Dark City. There was an edit like every 3 seconds. IMDB says "[Dark City] has one of the shortest Average shot lengths (ASL) of any modern narrative production at 1.8 seconds. This means there is a cut almost every 2 seconds." What I disliked most was that each shot was static. Mostly medium shots. There was no sense of montage. Each shot should compliment the next. It gave me a headache after a while.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Good:
    The helicopter scene
    The Brit-rock/post rock score. No nu-metal nonsense for running zombies.
    The story : bro/sis running away from zombies, none of that Alex Garland's trademark "new villian introduced in the middle" bullshit like most of his filmed scripts.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    28 WEEKS LATER was pretty good - i agree that the contrived plot had me groaning 'give me a break' at a few points, though i still found it to be an entertaining and thought-provoking film.

however, the original, 28 DAYS LATER, is truly
    very highly recommended viewing!

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    28 WEEKS LATER was pretty good - i agree that the contrived plot had me groaning 'give me a break' at a few points, though i still found it to be an entertaining and thought-provoking film.

however, the original, 28 DAYS LATER, is truly
    very highly recommended viewing!

You pretty much said exactly what I was thinking. In other words, .

28 Weeks Later is much better than most action/horror films, but as the sequel to 28 days it doesn't live up to the pedigree, even though they ruthlessly reused the score. I really enjoyed 28 Weeks Later, it was indeed scary as hell, I just wish the plot made a little more sense. The director was mildly addicted to editing in confuse-o-vision, but I'm basically sick of the hyper-kinetic editing style, which probably explains why I liked Children of Men so much. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see gimmicky tracking shots in every movie, watch DePalma's Snake Eyes[/b] for an example of a stupid and pointless long tracking shot. Actually, don't watch that movie, it sucked, just take my word for it.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Michael took that boat off the island and ended up flying a helicopter in Brit-town.