NYC/Brooklyn Moving companies to recommend?

TabneticTabnetic 206 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Moving from brooklyn to deeper brooklyn June 1st. Need to hire some movers to handle Vinyl lifting down 4 flights and up 3 as well as various normal apartment stuff. Anyone got any good experiences with movers?thx

Comments

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I'm in this boat too. The established companies all want $100+ an hour for three guys with a truck, minimum four hours. Plus the movers expect at least 15% tips, and sometimes they have a fuel surcharge and other b.s. All provide blankets for furniture, some provide up to ten book boxes, and all have insurance. Navigating craigslist has been a bitch because there are thousands of listings. I've seen some that offer three guys and a truck for $75 an hour, but it looks suspect. I need to start running some of the names through the better business bureau and see what's up. Some offer references. I heard from another person to go to Home Depot or Lowe's in the neighborhood and hire illegales which will do the job for about $50 an hour, but that is no insurance and who knows how careful they are.
    Whatever you do, do not go to 123movers.com to get estimates, and if you do, don't leave your number. I've had dudes pestering me all week trying to convince me that $110 an hour is really good and that I need to make a desicion now.

• bruceforcebruceforce 92 Posts
    moversnotshakers.com
    i have used them 4 times in brooklyn (ya i know, a lot of moving for a dude with a record habit)
    i think i was their 2nd customer, and the owners themselves dragged about 50 boxes of records up 3 flights, without a word of complaint. they now have a fleet of trucks and are great guys, ask for mark, he is the owner. good pricing, flat rate, i.e. they come out give you a quote and stick to it.
    the worst is these companies that say they'll do it for 500 bucks and by the time your done it ends up at 1200 any ways...