National Moving Companies: Who Are Your Favorites?

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Hey,As some you may know, T**i and I have a major move to make this summer (to New Jersey). We used United Van Lines to move up to Milwaukee and it was a total debacle. They tore up shit (paintings, my computer desk, an end table, etc.), tried to front on paying the claims (for which we paid for FULL COVERAGE), and my attorney had to send them a "nastygram" to get our loot. On that note, I ask you guys to suggest some national moving companies (not local ones) who provided good service. Once I process your suggestions, I'll start calling them up for rates. Thanks!!!Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    for our move last year,
    a 3 hour/200 mile in state,
    we got 8-10 estimates

there should be some kind of consumer info/better business
    guide to that crap

the quotes were all over the place, with weight & volume being calculated
    every which way
    (200+ crates of vinyl, boxes o books & big pieces of art work did not help)

some of the mover agents would put the snake oilest record dealer to shame

the best legit deal came from the local mayflower outfit
    (not super low with a *, not super high like the mega pro security firms)

all in all it went sorta smooth, but
    the crew didn't have enough hand carts (wtf)
    borrowed my show cart & it was never the same after

just over $6k price was hard, but there was no way i could diy

i would give mayflower a vg+ on cost, vg on execution & vg- on attitude

ps - i never want to move again
    (unless it can all fit in the volvo)

good luck with the move !!

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I worked on one of those trucks for a summer and a half. It was interesting and fun and hot and heavy. I wish i had some insider info on how they reach their quotes to share, but alas, i don't.

I worked for a Mayflower driver and he sidekick and we were always careful with everything we loaded on and off. That's my only experience thus far. My move in december was done with two SUV's and a ton of trips.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

there should be some kind of consumer info/better business
    guide to that crap

There is a moving company that has a warehouse not far from where I used to live who opened their doors occasionally to hawk all the stuff they kept from people who didn't pay their moving tabs (or more likely, didn't read the fine print).

Lots of nice furniture....no records.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I have moved a shit load of times and always rented a truck and hired a couple of broke friends to help. This probably wont work for such a long move though. I would pack very carefully. I was watching the movie Crumb the other night and I was freaking out just watching them move his his 78's. I could not imagine if they were my own records.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    before i moved across the country this site helped me out a lot:

http://www.movingscam.com

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    before i moved across the country this site helped me out a lot:

http://www.movingscam.com

that's what i'm talking about

between the de-regulation of 95
    &
    the cubic foot scam
    we had a few sleazebags quoting 50% less than the average bid
    with a giant
    waiting to smack u upside the head

no payee, no stuffee
    strong arm extortion on the unload day

f-n great link & site !!!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    a lot of people don't realize how fucked up the moving industry can be. some of the stories on that site are just pure face melt, so it pays to do your homework.

btw, i used abf movers which is a freight company. no problems.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Thanks, you guys, as always, are helpful. I saw some good reviews for four Milwaukee moving companies on Movingscam.com, who I will call to set up some estimates. Please keep the information coming so I can have more companies to consider.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak