Graphic Designers:What kind of resumes do you use?

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
typical boring ol' ones or do yall get crazy artsy fartsy and "wow" them motherfuckers? I am going to submit a resume to a "sign/decal/whatever" kinda place. I aint talking a cutting edge trendy as hell design firm. More of a sign company..decals,stencils,vinyl signs and shit like that. I dont know if I should do a basic ass resume or spruce it up a bit to show them I am creative and whatnot. Is this a no-no or a go-go(no Marco)? Honestly I dont know dick about resumes..and I know all of yall are big ballers making stupid loot, so I thought I would ask. Oh..and I dont have hardly any education. I took some design classes at a community college and shit..but I just figured I would lie a good bit on the resume. Everyone I know that has landed decent(decent to me at least), lied like motherfuckers on their resumes. So whatcha thank? I would love to see some examples of some really dope ones for a little inspiration and direction. I know lots of you guys are probably bout it bout it when it comes to this kinda thing. Yeah yeah..I know this is a pretty stupid post/question..but I am pretty damn clueless when it comes to the whole resume "rules". Remember..I AM from South Carolina after all. Thanks a lot fellas. I could really use your help since I have to knock this out tonight and turn it in tomorrow. Thanks again!PS: On an unrelated note..has anyone heard that Beans/Cassidy/Fab song? Shit is bonkers!

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Definitely design your resume and have a portfolio online. When we were looking for designers at my old job, I couldn't believe that designers would send plain text emails w/ no artwork links. Those folls got instantly ignored.

That said, I'd say don't overdesign it. Just do something tasteful that shows you can organize information in a clear, well-designed & aesthetically pleasing manner.

I don't know if I succeeded in the above, but here's my stuff from about 2 years ago when I was on the hunt for a job:

http://www.solidsoundsystem.com/design/designabout/designabout.html

GOOD LUCK HOMIE!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    I saw David Carson's resume which was

A little too much for the average head, but since he's David Carson he can get away with stuff.

• Thanks alot, Marco..that is what I needed to see..something with some flavor to it. All I see is Microsoft Word resumes that are disgusting..but the norm it seems. How about your cover letter? Did/do you freak it a bit too(graphics and whatnot)? All I really want to do is stand out from the other fools applying for this job. I am sick of working bullshit jobs for rednecks, so this could be a little stepping stone for me at least.

I dig alot of David Carson's shit, too..another South Carolina boy!

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Remember that somebody will be sitting there going thru' 50 applications, & I know from experience that anything that takes longer then 1o seconds to read is going in the bin. Any designers that thinks sending their CV (resume) in printed on tracing paper with their name as an elaborate logo emblazoned over half of it is going to impress is wrong wrong. David Carson can do it cos he's David Carson.

Design it by all means, but keep it simple, easy to read & easy to see who you are, what you have done, & what you want to do. A lot of prospective employers ask for examples of your work, so maybe include a sheet or two with your cv, just gives a taste of what you can do, they can look at it if they want.